News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Price of car parts!!!

Started by slowpoke17, April 26, 2018, 06:12:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

slowpoke17

I have a minor dent in my rear wheel trim so I looked around for a good used one. I contacted Cadillac Heaven and got a quote of $150 for the molding and $50 to ship it. This seems a little high to me. Anyone know of other used parts vendors for our cars? Mine is a 1988. Thanks
John Federico

Caddyholic

Pick and pull type junk yards
I got myself a Cadillac but I can't afford the gasoline (AC/DC Down Payment Blues)

1961 Series 62 Convertible Coupe http://bit.ly/1RCYsVZ
1962 Coupe Deville

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Many of the specialized auto parts junk yards survive by charging somewhat more than the "traffic will bear." If a person wants the part without much effort on his part to find it, you pay the $200 and in a few days, you'll have it. If you are a little more patient, you can search eBay or ask for the part on this Forum. The part was used from at least 1985-88 and there are likely "lots" of them out there.

Or, if you are in a larger city, most will have a "pull n' pay" junk yard where you take your tools and tramp the yard until you find what you need. This is a most enjoyable pastime called "junking." Usually, you will see at least one other part that you think someone might need. My doing so helped put shoes on my kid's feet and through college.

Just remember, your car has survived for 30 years with that door ding in the fender well. It doesn't have to be fixed today, or even tomorrow for you to enjoy the car. Best of luck.

(Remember that road tar and dirt, whatever have filled the screw heads holding the part on. You might take a small hammer and some WD-40 or Blaster to help loosen them.)
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

TJ Hopland

Since you said dent I assume its a steel wheel ?  Have you tried regular parts stores or the big online places like Summit?  They often sell refurbished factory wheels.  I have bought several and they have been good quality and decent prices.     88 is getting pretty old for regular stores but if it was not a Cadillac exclusive you may get lucky. 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

35-709

;D  " rear wheel trim"
Believe he is referring to the trim moulding around the wheel opening.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

$200 all in for an '88 DeVille molding?  Keep shopping.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Scot Minesinger

Barry is right. 

There are two ways to really combat that, first is to visit a junk yard and do the pick and pull thing as everyone suggests, but when you consider the value of your time, the $200 part is probably the way to go.  Although I hate paying this much, after I get it, I'm glad I went that way.  Of course if you have time, this may be fun, I do not have time.

Second way is to buy before you need it.  With the 3 1970 Cadillacs (a popular collector year) and of course it shares many body parts with 1969 and many mechanical parts from late 1960's to early 1970's, I am safe buying parts when I do not need them.  I bought an NOS 1970 Cadillac carburetor for a 472 (new in the box, never installed).  Then when the butterfly shaft needed to be re-bushed on one of my 1970 Cadillacs, I rebuilt the NOS one (soft parts) and installed it - runs awesome now.  Then I will re-bush the one I took off.

I have choke pull-offs, chokes, relays, vacuum check valves, wheel opening trims, fender skirts and the like for 1970 Cadillacs, stored in my garage in case I need them.  Occasionally, I sell a part or two - sold a hood and trunk recently.  Consider stocking up some common used parts when you do not need them, although for one car and a less popular collector year, your best bet is probably to pay the price and get what you need.  At least as Barry points out, it is not urgent.

Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

slowpoke17

Thanks for the advice to all. The damage is in the wheel well opening quarter molding, not the hubcaps. Its very minor and this was the first place I asked for a quote. I just remember a few years ago I bought the same molding for my 85 Eldorado and it was under $50 delivered, and in very good condition. I figured I'd start looking to see if I can find one, at this price I will keep looking like Barry said, I'm in no hurry.

As far as local junk yards go, there is nothing near me that has anything that far back. I remember back in the seventies you would see rebuild-able cars up front for sale, old cars from the fifties and even the 40's. Last time I went about 5 years ago all I saw was mainly imports and minivans. My big find was a set of floor mats for my sons Taurus.
John Federico

slowpoke17

Update on my search for this molding/trim piece. I contacted one of the vendors in the Self Starter that supposedly specialized in later model Cadillac's from the 80's and up. He didn't have anything but gave me another contact; Jack's Auto Ranch in Watertown, Wisconsin. Person I dealt with was named Doug. They had the trim and for $50 plus $10 for shipping it was all mine. It can use a good polishing but its dent free and should clean up nicely. Big difference from the $200 Cadillac Heaven wanted, I can buy a lot of polish for $140! He told me they have many other Cadillac's (no specifics given on years) and as another resource I can provide their number if allowed on this forum or you can just look them up on line. Their reviews vary like every other company but I can tell you my part was in good condition, the price was fair and he shipped it quickly.
John Federico

Bobby B

Quote from: slowpoke17 on April 26, 2018, 06:12:20 AM
This seems a little high to me.....

Be Happy you don't own a '47 Convertible  ::).......
                                            Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH