News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Engine swap (Temporary)

Started by 47SixtySpecial, April 26, 2018, 03:01:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

47SixtySpecial

Don't yell at me, I just want to start by saying that.

My engine needs rebuilt. I understand the pitfalls of pulling the heads off of a 71 year old flathead and the problems I may face. I am going to do it, but I expect a year of work in order to do it right. There are ALWAYS unexpected issues even when you are planning on the unexpected.

So, my question. Which engine transmission combo can I put in the car for the year, that requires NO modifications to the firewall/frame? I do NOT want to leave the car sitting for a year for everything to get bound up.

I was thinking, and sacrilege or not, a ford inline 6 should fit. SImilar horsepower, exhaust comes out in almost the exact location. I can get a used one quite cheaply. I will leave the stock gauges disconnectedd until the flathead is rebuilt. I don't need a heater so that can stay disconnected. I can weld up some brackets for motor mounts that will bolt directly onto the existing frame spots. The rad hose up top on the ford comes out dead center.

The only concern I have is the size of the transmission. I will not cut this car up, I intend to return it back as it is supposed to be.

Any ideas? suggestions?

Thanks!

Also I should add, the wiring harness is not a concern. It needs replacing and just before putting the rebuilt 346 in place, I will install a new and correct harness.
Joe Mark

Carl Fielding

Hey Joe : Is your car automatic or manual?   -  CC

47SixtySpecial

Automatic but I can fab up a temporary linkage. Or make a temporary floor/tranmission cover with a boot if a manual tranny will fit. The hydramatic is coming out with the engine to be rebuilt as well. Although I don;t relish the idea of trying to figure out a clutch pedal.
Joe Mark

TJ Hopland

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

47SixtySpecial

300 from an F-150. After much searching, it seems to fit. They are readily available for close to free.
Joe Mark

Steve Passmore

It will still be a heap of trouble getting that clutch, gearchange and drive shaft altered. A lot less trouble to find another Cadillac engine.
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

harry s

...or step up the rebuild. It shouldn't take a year to do the engine. The parts are readily available.       Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

47SixtySpecial

I will rebuild the engine myself. I plan to take my time and enjoy the process, again.
Joe Mark

Bobby B

Quote from: harry s on April 27, 2018, 09:34:39 AM
...or step up the rebuild. It shouldn't take a year to do the engine. The parts are readily available.       Harry

Harry is right. Get it done or do it yourself. If you plan it out correctly, 2-3 months, TOPS! What governs you enjoying a rebuild? Taking your sweet time or getting it done. Like Steve said, You're going to waste more time in the thought process alone, let alone trying to fit something in there that wasn't meant to be. Call one of us who have been through this countless times and ask questions. There are a few key issues to look for and ways to make your life easier. There are a also a few special tools that will make your life a lot easier. Without writing a paragraph or more here, FIRST order of business is to make sure your block is worthy of a rebuild. It's either all uphill or downhill from there! Here's some good reading for you to see if it's something you want to tackle....Good Luck!
                                                                                                                   Bobby
http://rmrclc.com/waltsWorkBench.html
Click on "Restoring your Flathead" (1-8)
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

Jay Friedman

Here is a '47 flathead motor for sale that I saw in the Potomac Region newsletter:

1947 346 C.I. Flathead V8 Engine â€" 53,000 miles on complete engine â€" Three-speed automatic transmission still attached â€" Asking
$3,400 obo - For more info, contact Ruth Synodinos at 410-821-8580 â€" Engine is located in Towson, MD
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

TJ Hopland

I kinda like the idea but it seems like a lot of work for just a year.  Can you make your own driveshaft?   Some of those 'conversion' U joints are crazy expensive not counting labor assuming they even make a conversion one that would work for that application. 

I once saw a 50 something Pontiac or maybe Buick with a late 80's EFI 300 in it.  It was originally a straight 6 or 8 car.   It looked like it fit well.  I got a quick ride in the car and it seemed really happy going down the highway because I assume it also had the matching OD transmission in it.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

V63

A Cadillac v8 will work up thru 1953...but no matter what you use as a substitute, it’s going to involve modifications. Maybe concede to use that modification time towards your rebuild of original engine.

Bobby B

Quote from: TJ Hopland on April 29, 2018, 08:34:32 AM
I kinda like the idea but it seems like a lot of work for just a year. 

Quote from: V63 on April 29, 2018, 08:43:00 AM
A Maybe concede to use that modification time towards your rebuild of original engine.

Exactly.....
             Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH