News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1970 air conditioning... help?

Started by Cape Cod Fleetwood, April 26, 2018, 07:11:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Hey folks,
trying to install the condenser today and something is wrong. Scott thinks its the wrong one... or are parts missing... New condenser mounts are at the shop. This condenser is ceremonial, but we'd like to install it correctly if possible. Any and all information greatly appreciated. If we're Facebook friends here's a video from today at the shop, otherwise here's pictures. Thank you!
\m/
Laurie

https://www.facebook.com/laurie.kraynick/videos/1676676525780823/

There are 2 kinds of cars in the world, Cadillac and everything else....

The Present -1970 Fleetwood Brougham

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1987 Sedan De Ville "Commonwealth Edition"
1981 Coupe De Ville (8-6-4)
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Daily Driver and work slave -
2008 GMC Acadia SLT *options/all

chrisntam

The drier goes in between the condenser and the frame mount on the passenger side.  I'll post some pics...

Looks like the driver has a bracket that it slips into and it "bridges?" the  mount from the condenser to the frame mount.

Does the FSM show how it's assembled?

I can get more info (pics) if needed.

chris.
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Chris those photo's tell the story, thank you.
Seems to be a bracket missing.... but doesn't explain why the lead coming off my
condenser is pointing to the right when it needs to be pointing left?

Thank you so much!
\m/
Laurie

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

Quote from: Cape Cod Fleetwood on April 26, 2018, 10:34:49 PM
Seems to be a bracket missing.... but doesn't explain why the lead coming off my

Thank you so much!
\m/
Laurie

Laurie:

I'm looking at your pics and comparing to Chris's pics.
Looks like the fittings are oriented the same way.

It's not clear to me what you mean by the "lead from
the condenser" not pointing the right way(?)

You're missing the bracket as you already know.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Hey Mike,
here's a pic of my condenser, that 'lead' coming off from the bottom to the top, is pointing to the right when it seems it needs to go left?
\m/
Laurie

Sorry, wrong picture, here's the correct one.

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

In your first pic -- that "lead" is at the top of the condenser passenger side -- and that's where it needs to be to mate up
with the threaded AC line coming up to it from the left (passenger side).  The way you have the condenser sitting in the engine bay looks correct.

What am I missing?

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

Cape Cod Fleetwood

This is a better pic of the condenser I have... I edited my last post too.
\m/
Laurie

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: chrisntam on April 26, 2018, 09:13:50 PM
The drier goes in between the condenser and the frame mount on the passenger side.  I'll post some pics...

Looks like the driver has a bracket that it slips into and it "bridges?" the  mount from the condenser to the frame mount.

Does the FSM show how it's assembled?

I can get more info (pics) if needed.

chris.

Chris the shop manual wasn't much help. Can you snap a pic of the lead coming off the bottom of your condensor to the dryer? From the top down? Thanks!

\m/
Laurie

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

Cape Cod Fleetwood

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

chrisntam

Here is a pic of my condenser when I removed it in '14.  There is a separate bracket for the drier and there appears to be an "end" bracket that goes between the drier bracket and the condenser.

Looking at the pics, I'm not sure if there are two brackets or one.  There is a front "strap" that holds the drier in place.  I can't see (in the pic) if the end bracket for the condenser and the "cradle" for the driver is one piece or not.

Lemme get off the couch and have a look at the car to try to see if two brackets or one.

It appears the end bracket for the condenser and the cradle for the drier are one piece.

HTH,

chris.
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Dan LeBlanc

Laurie. What parts are you needing to rehab your 70 ac?  I'm pulling all the underhood components in mine and replacing with all new when I get back home next weekend?  I may be looking to sell what I remove.

My system works and holds refrigerant. It freezes up because of a bad POA valve (frigidaire rebuildable one).  I figured since I'm opening up the system to replace the POA I'd replace absolutely everything. R12 is very hard to come by in Canada so I want to never touch it again. Don't think I'll keep what I remove for spare parts.

I'm in Boston leaving for Bermuda in a few hours but I'll add you on Facebook and send me a message there and we'll see what we can work out.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Scot Minesinger

Dan,

I saw on another post you are replacing compressor with a non-A6, one that was intended for r134, and cools well.  I routinely switch ac systems from 12 to r134 due to availability of r134 in the 1965-1976 Cadillacs.  The 71 and newer seem great, and the 65-70 not quite as good.  If you want an r134 system on a 1970 that is as effective as r12, you would have to do something.

After you return, send us all a post or a link to what you did.  And live to see some pictures.  If the evaporator does not have to be changed, it could be a good way to go.  My 1970 SDV ac works and all, but not like it did in 1970.  The convertible does not matter much to me.

I brought this subject up about 1965-70 Cadillacs not workig as well as 1971 and newer Cadillac ac systems when converting to r134.  The consensus was that the air flow on interior blower was higher for 1971 and newer Cadillacs plus the condenser was larger and spaced a little further from radiator.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Dan LeBlanc

Hi Scot

I was able to secure a 30# cylinder of R12 in Calgary and have it shipped to me. After consulting with Old Air prior to purchasing the Pro6Ten they advised it's ok to run R12 with that compressor by draining the oil and running Ester oil. I'm keeping it R12 and absolutely EVERYTHING is getting changed. Once completed I'm hoping to have many happy years of service from the system.

Hoses, seals, dryer, POA, expansion valve, condenser. You name it under the hood it's getting changed. Everything is already received. I just need to break down and do it.

The R12 still sealed was a steal at $130 Canadian. I can't even buy a cylinder of R134 in USD across the border for that.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Dan,
Unless someone did not know what they had I would be a little leery of that price. There was a lot of "bogus" R-12 shipped from Mexico and China a while back.  Not to put a damper on your "find", but R-12 is going for $1000.00 USD for a 30# drum. 
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

chrisntam

I like the R12 in the 1 lb cans that look like they've been around a long while...

Any way to test to confirm what you (or I) have?
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: Dan LeBlanc on April 27, 2018, 08:59:17 AM
Laurie. What parts are you needing to rehab your 70 ac?  I'm pulling all the underhood components in mine and replacing with all new when I get back home next weekend?  I may be looking to sell what I remove.

My system works and holds refrigerant. It freezes up because of a bad POA valve (frigidaire rebuildable one).  I figured since I'm opening up the system to replace the POA I'd replace absolutely everything. R12 is very hard to come by in Canada so I want to never touch it again. Don't think I'll keep what I remove for spare parts.

I'm in Boston leaving for Bermuda in a few hours but I'll add you on Facebook and send me a message there and we'll see what we can work out.

Hey Dan,
I need every part pictured except for the dryer. Correct condenser, brackets, etc. Scott is putting in new condenser mounts. Enjoy the cruise and let me know!
Laurie

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

cadillacmike68

Quote from: Cape Cod Fleetwood on April 26, 2018, 10:34:49 PM

Thank you so much!
\m/
Laurie

The pics from chrisntam have solved the mystery.

It looks backwards, because its a 1968 Condenser where the Receiver Dryer was to the right of the fittings - more to the center, whereas the 69-70 ones moved the receiver drier to the left of the fittings, and used the missing bracked to hold it all together.

You could get a loopback tube fabricated with the fittings to connect where that condenser leaves off to the receiver drier in its correct position, but the bracket is still needed to hold everything together. It doesn't even need to be steel, as long as it can connect the condenser end to the receiver drier.

I read further and you probably don't even need an additional connecting line. You just have to have the existing line that comes up cut a little bit above halfway up and twist the tube around so that it points towards the battery. Any decent AC shop should be able to do this. Just a couple new fittings will do it.

Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: cadillacmike68 on May 01, 2018, 08:44:27 PM
The pics from chrisntam have solved the mystery.

It looks backwards, because its a 1968 Condenser where the Receiver Dryer was to the right of the fittings - more to the center, whereas the 69-70 ones moved the receiver drier to the left of the fittings, and used the missing bracked to hold it all together.

You could get a loopback tube fabricated with the fittings to connect where that condenser leaves off to the receiver drier in its correct position, but the bracket is still needed to hold everything together. It doesn't even need to be steel, as long as it can connect the condenser end to the receiver drier.

I read further and you probably don't even need an additional connecting line. You just have to have the existing line that comes up cut a little bit above halfway up and twist the tube around so that it points towards the battery. Any decent AC shop should be able to do this. Just a couple new fittings will do it.

There is no chance of me going through all that aggravation and expense for an ornamental condenser.
First show is next Thursday.

\m/
Laurie

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Are you planning on floating the arc to the Gns here in Texas?
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: "Cadillac Kid"  Greg Surfas 15364 on May 01, 2018, 09:25:23 PM
Are you planning on floating the arc to the Gns here in Texas?
Greg Surfas

Ark.. ARK!  LOL!
I don't see this car leaving New England in general or MA imparticular.

\m/
Laurie

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville