News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

$359 period correct battery - broken in 2 days

Started by Cape Cod Fleetwood, May 02, 2018, 12:18:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cape Cod Fleetwood

I saw the battery in the car in the shop Saturday, flawless.
Opened the hood today to take some pics for Cadillac Heaven - and noticed the battery.
Positive terminal is broken, case is cracked.
Scott is beside himself, he has no idea what happened, he's willing to buy me another one.

Did I mention my first ever car event is in 8 days, my $359 battery is broken and I still don't have
a condenser in the car so it looks like a front tooth is missing?

I reached out to Battery Central Mall where I got the battery, is there a warranty, etc. Sent them pics.
They're going to tell me to screw, I just know it.

I'm just wondering if the battery is safe to use.

Why me...

Laurie
There are 2 kinds of cars in the world, Cadillac and everything else....

The Present -1970 Fleetwood Brougham

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1987 Sedan De Ville "Commonwealth Edition"
1981 Coupe De Ville (8-6-4)
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Daily Driver and work slave -
2008 GMC Acadia SLT *options/all

Scot Minesinger

Sorry about your battery.  This happened to me too, well not the same failure, but a premature failure nonetheless.  I now use a regular (not optima) battery and it has been working great for 5 years.  The "authentic" parts are often crap.  Most classic car owners drive 500 miles a year, and so 5,000 miles of service is a while.  I drive mine 4k miles a year and have to use durable parts in my 1970 Cadillacs.  Don't waste your time on the tower clamps.

maybe it would be good to start a post on what are the authentic looking mechanical parts that are no good - radiator caps comes to mind. 

The battery manufacturer had a good warranty and took care of their problems, but I just cannot get past that reliability is more important than looks in car parts world.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

wrench

In theory, you would have to hammer directly into the post to do that.

If that happened because someone leaned on it or rested a tool or heavy part (without arcing over, btw), then it seems the battery case is deficient.

Form over function is a choice.

I start with function, then try to work form into the equation.

Good luck with your quest for warranty support.
1951 Series 62 Sedan
1969 Eldorado
1970 Eldorado (Triple Black w/power roof)
1958 Apache 3/4 ton 4x4
2005 F250
2014 FLHP
2014 SRX

Cape Cod Fleetwood

I am simply heartbroken....
I'm trying so hard, spending some real money, trying to make this car right.
"I" scratched the windshield, my bad. But I didn't do this....

\m/
Laurie

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

TMoore - NTCLC

I am sure that you looked, and I am not that familiar with your year model, but is there any chance the hood could have struck that terminal when it was being slammed down (and yes, I know that you would never slam the hood down, but maybe someone else could have)?

Gene Beaird

Was the battery secured?  Can't really tell the orientation of the battery there, but if it rocked away from the hole in the radiator support, it could have pulled/twisted the cable enough to crack the top of the case. 

Gene Beaird,
1968 Calais
1979 Seville
Pearland, Texas
CLC Member No. 29873

D.Smith

Yikes!     It looks like someone used a hammer to secure the cable on it.

I hope you can get it sorted out in time for Cadillac Day at Larz Anderson on the 20th.

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

Quote from: D.Smith on May 02, 2018, 02:08:05 PM
Yikes!     It looks like someone used a hammer to secure the cable on it."

My thoughts as well.  Eaxsiest way to cause that damage
is by using too much force to get clamp on (hammer).

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

Chuck Swanson

Quote from: Cape Cod Fleetwood on May 02, 2018, 09:56:14 AM
I am simply heartbroken....
I'm trying so hard, spending some real money, trying to make this car right.
"I" scratched the windshield, my bad. But I didn't do this....

\m/
Laurie

Usually this happens  when the battery is loose and not tightened down.  It happened to me last year when I took my RV out of storage.  I have huge heavy duty Interstate batteries, and I put my batteries in the rig without tightening down the hold downs...figured I do when home as I only had a short ride.  After arriving home a few miles, the post broke off.  As some have mentioned, there could have been something in your hood when closing (wrench, etc) too, but it doesn't take much for any battery to break the post if it is loose, repro or otherwise.   (I've used the batteries you have in pic for 20 yrs with no issues).  Sorry to hear...Chuck
CLC Lifetime
AACA Lifetime
Like 65-66 Club: www.facebook.com/6566Cadillac
66 DeVille Convertible-CLC Sr Wreath, (AACA 1st Jr 2021, Senior 2022, 1st GN 2022 Sr GN 2023), Audrain Concours '22 3rd in Class.
66 Sedan DeVille hdtp
66 Calais pillar sedan
66 Series 75 9-pass limo
65 Eldorado (vert w/bucket seats)
65 Fleetwood
07 DTS w/ Performance pkg.
67 Chevy II Nova (AACA Sr GN 2018)
69 Dodge Coronet R/T

Chuck Swanson

Just to add, I have had my battery guy take these apart (assuming this is a fake top/case and not Acid of course!).  There is typically two cables connected to a new style battery inside, like an Optima.  He carefully removed the glued top, and replaced the old battery inside after I used for 5-6 yrs :)  You can probably have a battery shop do the same, maybe glue one of those toppers on it as they are much cheaper,  if the seller doesn't cover under warranty.  Chuck
CLC Lifetime
AACA Lifetime
66 DeVille Convertible-CLC Sr Wreath, (AACA 1st Jr 2021, Senior 2022, 1st GN 2022 Sr GN 2023), Audrain Concours '22 3rd in Class.
66 Sedan DeVille hdtp
66 Calais pillar sedan
66 Series 75 9-pass limo
65 Fleetwood
69 Dodge Coronet R/T

savemy67

Hello Laurie,

From your photos and your post, something does not make sense to me.  The photos show that the cable terminal is not seated correctly on the post.  The top of the terminal is higher than the top of the post and it looks like there is post visible under the terminal.  A grade 8 bolt is unnecessary for the terminal.

Your mechanic is willing to drop $359 to replace your battery because, "...he has no idea what happened..."?!?  Have him replace your battery, and install it himself - properly.

I can't say whether the quality of your period-correct battery is good or not.  As to whether it is safe - a few electrical tests might determine if it is still functioning properly.  Only the manufacturer can vouch for whether this condition is still safe (based on the construction of the battery).  The last thing you need is a short circuit and a fire.  Get your mechanics commitment to replace the battery, and buy another one - a run of the mill battery sized for your car - for every day use.

Respectfully submitted,
Christopher Winter
Christopher Winter
1967 Sedan DeVille hardtop

Chuck Swanson

Quote from: savemy67 on May 02, 2018, 08:15:23 PM
...and buy another one - a run of the mill battery sized for your car - for every day use.

Respectfully submitted,
Christopher Winter

Agree with most except for last sentence.  If Laurie wants a period correct one, she should not have to "settle" for some off the shelf one because of mechanic issue, or possible defect (odd as I have not see any posts on any forums with these).  I use my '65 Eldo every day in nice weather, and after 4000 miles in the last few years it is fine.   As mentioned, the acid filled ones are no longer available, and the case surrounds a modern battery.  Mine is an Optima inside and I use a trickle charger year round.  Chuck
CLC Lifetime
AACA Lifetime
66 Sedan DeVille hdtp
66 Calais pillar sedan
66 Series 75 9-pass limo
65 Fleetwood
69 Dodge Coronet R/T

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: D.Smith on May 02, 2018, 02:08:05 PM
Yikes!     It looks like someone used a hammer to secure the cable on it.

I hope you can get it sorted out in time for Cadillac Day at Larz Anderson on the 20th.

TRUST ME... Scott didn't use a hammer. Remember I saw the car the day he installed it, it was perfect.
2 days later, smashed. Car was inside in a bay at this shop for 4 days.

I'll be using black silicone caulk around that terminal to make it less noticeable. Still no word from Battery
Central Mall.

Battery is not secured, neither was the Duralast we took out.

I checked under the hood, nothing there to smash the battery.

Distraught.... I know there's a lot rich people reading this, $359 to me is a fortune, simply heartbroken.
And it looked SO COOL.

\m/
Laurie

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

Scot Minesinger

You need to secure the battery.  There is hold down lever that is quite clever.  Might be able to snap a picture of mine and and post it, but suffering technical difficulties right now getting pics off my phone and into computer.

If you don't secure the battery things like this happen and worse.  I blamed the battery for low quality, but that was unfair in consideration that the battery is not secure.  I work on 20 classic Cadillacs a year and this is the number one problem, I always pay Cadillac King or other parts source to have the battery hold down device shipped over and then I install it.

It was probably a bump in the road literally that cracked your battery.  Probably is not a warranty issue.

As an aside, the neat thing about this hobby is it has room for everyone; rich, poor, people with one classic, people with 30 classics, preservation collectors, collectors who drive their cars, collectors who pay for every thing and collectors who do all their own work.  Then there are people of all race, men, women, retired, just started working, and etc.  Kind of cool.  Anyone rich probably was not born that way and still thinks $359 is a lot of money, which is why they still are rich.

This is all part of the classic car fun education.  Usually the way it was when you got it is not a guide to go by, but rather the way it was when it left the factory.

Enjoy your Cadillac!
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Steve Passmore

Just one point to consider here. Laurie has a really good relationship with her mechanic. If she accepts and he does what he's willing to do when he possibly believes it left his shop good, and it could have happened on the drive home it will surely sour any future relationships. It's human nature and It can't be helped when there's no proof either way.
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

Mike Simmons 938

Looks to me like the jaw marks of a pipe wrench or similar to try and twist a frozen clamp off the post-when the post twists, there goes the case.
Might also explain the generosity of the mechanic in offering to replace it.
Maybe.
Mike Simmons 938

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

Here's how the battery retaining rod (clamp) should
look.  This is on my 1973, but 1970 is similar.  Part
number is 1493345, used on all Cadillacs except
the Eldorado from 1969 - 1972.  Without a proper
clamp, your battery will be damaged while driving:

1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

cadillacmike68

^^^ Yes that looks just like the hold down on my old 1970 Fleetwood. You definitely want it locked down.

The battery does not look like it is / was too high, so a hood coming down would not have done that. Too short of a cable will put a stress on the post and might be a contributing factor.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Cape Cod Fleetwood

I saw the car in the shop with the new battery, it was flawless.

Scott took the car out and beat the crap out of it when he was finished.
You know it went back into the bay, hood opened, back up on the lift for
a post beating autopsy. Remember this guy works on the #4 funny car in
America. Scott would have noticed a damaged battery at that time and he
didn't test drive it over a pool table.

The car stayed in the bay until I picked it up. A lot of people come and go in
that garage when Scott isn't there. I never had a caddy, or any other car with
a battery hold down, this car didn't come with one, doesn't mean it wasn't original
equipment. As far as jarring the battery - you can drive this car over railroad tracks
and not spill a drop of the cocktail at your lips. It just floats.

That deep gouge on the top of the battery forward of the terminal didn't happen
from a loose battery in a floating car hitting a pothole, its vandalism.

And I think Scott knows it...

\m/
Laurie

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

Steve Passmore

Studying your pictures more closely that sure does look like a hammer blow :o
Steve