News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1973 CADILLAC SEDAN DEVILLE - PARKING BRAKE INFO REQD

Started by BIG RAB, May 03, 2018, 05:32:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BIG RAB

I've just imported the above car into the UK and see it has a foot parking brake.

When I press the parking brake pedal and hold down the brake engages, as soon as I take my foot off the pedal it springs back up and the brake seems to disengage.

Like the Mercedes I have, I take it the brake should hold after taking my foot off the pedal ??

There is no ratchet type noise like the Merc when I press the pedal down, this holding the pedal in position.

Should there be ???

Also, the red 'brake light' on the dash remains illuminated after moving the car with no brake drag etc experienced, goes off after about 20 mins driving.

Could this be a sticking switch ????

Any info would be appreciated.

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

On the 1973's you will not hear any ratchet noise
when applying the parking brake.  It releases
automatically by vacuum when you place the car
in Drive or Reverse.

The brake should hold when you remove your foot
providing it's working properly.

The brake light staying on could indicate several
issues including a problem with your brake system.
The fact that it goes out after awhile seems to point
this way.  It also could just be the adjustment of
the switch in the parking brake mechanism.

However, this all needs to be checked to insure safety.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

If the car has been sitting for a while and all the vacuum has bled off the pedal should stay down. If it does then your neutral safety switch may be out of rig. Do the backup lights come on with the gearshift in the right location?
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

BIG RAB

Thanks for the info so far.

When I press pedal then remove my foot, should pedal hold in that depressed position or return to it's normal position ?

Regards

Roger Zimmermann

If the system is functioning as intended, when you push the pedal, it must stay in the depressed position as long as the gear lever is in P or N. It will release automatically when the lever is moved to D or R and the engine is running.
The brake pedal will not release when the engine is not running. It can be released with a manual release lever, located on the inboard side of the parking brake assembly.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

BIG RAB

Roger,

Thanks for that.

After depressing it does not stay in that position and releases no matter what.

cadillacmike68

If it won't stay down when the engine is off, then something is stuck.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Scot Minesinger

Just to be clear, it makes a huge difference what gear you are in and if engine is running or not, release of brake should only happen automatically when car is running because it relies on vacuum:

Engine running, parking break pedal stays down in P or N, releases (acts like a normal break) in R or D (and 2, L).

Engine not running (any gear) pedal stays down

Generally the tendency of problems is that the break does not release, not that it releases always automatically when it should not.

BTW I had to drive a 2007 Suburban once a short distance using e-brake, and it did not have the auto release feature in D - what a pain, had to manually release every time needed to slow down with break.  The auto release in D would have made the drive way easier, but it is no Cadillac.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty