News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

My 59 broke down for the first time today.

Started by INTMD8, May 05, 2018, 10:00:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

INTMD8

After putting over 10k miles on my 59 it finally left me stranded today.

Drove it for 30 minutes and parked for 10. Restarted and died about 30 seconds later. Seemed like it was out of fuel and the glass filter bowl was only half way full so I thought the pump went bad.

Had it towed home and it fired right up, filling up the bowl no problem.

Pretty sure I know what happened. When I had the tank out over the winter I replaced the inline filter (I added one right after the tank when I first got it running a few years back).  Switched from a see through plastic type to a metal canister.

My theory is, the new filter is more restrictive so now that I've driven it on a warm day the pump was pulling too much vacuum on the inlet side and it vapor locked.

I'm going to remove the filter back by the tank and see how it does.

Whoops  :P

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Too bad. They sure do look pathetic on the back of a truck, don't they?
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

INTMD8

Nah still beautiful.

Even as it was being winched up several people walked up and said "awesome car". I said well better when it's running, response, "it's still awesome".

That's classic Cadillac  8)

Skwerly62

Quote from: Jeff Rose                                         CLC #28373 on May 05, 2018, 11:07:47 PM
Too bad. They sure do look pathetic on the back of a truck, don't they?
Jeff

Makes the big ol rollback look pathetic with all that steel gorgeousness on the back...
1958 Extended Deck 62 Sedan SOLD
1960 Coupe - current project
USCG Vet - Fly CG!

Roger Zimmermann

Have maybe a look at your fuel pump. It can happen that one valve is not seated correctly. A friend of mine had this problem far away from home. One of both valves was dislodged. However, when cold, he could start the engine.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

INTMD8

Thanks guys. Roger, I pulled the top of the pump off and both valves appeared to be seated.

Just removed the filter, seemed rather restrictive (for the suction side) so time for a test drive. :)

R S Steven

By chance did you put winter gas in it.  If yes it could be vapor lock.  I had bought gas before putting my 59 away for the winter a few years ago. In the spring I had a hell of a time with it not wanting to restart after stopping for a short time. I had to pour gas down the carb and water over the fuel pump in order to get it restarted.  Not till I was able to get better than 1/2 a tank of summer fuel in it would it restart after stopping.

Hope this helps,
Bob

INTMD8

Hi Bob, yes the last time I fueled it up was winter fuel so I'm sure that wasn't helping, thanks.

So far so good after removing the in-line filter. Drove it around for 2 hours stopping at a few stores along the way.