News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

What ever happened to drivers wanting isolated comfort?

Started by 64\/54Cadillacking, May 07, 2018, 07:36:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

64\/54Cadillacking

As Cadillac enthusiast, we are a different breed of drivers compared to the “other guys” that crave high performance sharp handling vehicles that are atrocious to drive everyday in cities with a rough infrastructure. We prefer a smooth comfortable, quiet, and a heavily isolated ride which is the best kind of car to own for daily commuting.

How and why did consumer taste change from buying comfortable cars that were isolating such as the big Cadillacs, Buick’s, Olds and even Lincoln’s, to cars that are much smaller, harsh riding and uncomfortable for the most part.

Even modern full size sedans still ride nowhere near as comfy and subdued like our old Cads do. Every time I see people drive tiny vehicles or even sub-compact to even compact cars, it’s like they are punishing themselves on a daily basis with loud road noise, cramped interiors and a ride that is jittery and downright terrible!

Why do drivers accept such mediocrity? I don’t get it personally. I understand they’re trying to save money at the pump, but the sacrifices they are making by driving something so uncomfortable just isn’t worth it.

Also which is surprising to me is with the advancements in suspension tech in FWD vehicles as of late, the old Cads still ride superior to any of them with the old school SLA front coil springs and rear 4 link suspension.

Shocking how RWD cars with a basic and simple suspension setup can ride smoother than the majority of all FWDers out there, including the Cad XTS and many others.
Currently Rides:
1964 Sedan Deville
1954 Cadillac Fleetwood 60 Special
1979 Lincoln Mark V Cartier Designer Series
2007 Lexus LS 460L (extended wheelbase edition)

Previous Rides:
1987 Brougham D' Elegance
1994 Fleetwood Bro
1972 Sedan Deville
1968 Coupe Deville
1961 Lincoln Continental
1993 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
1978 Lincoln Continental ( R.I.P.) 1978-2024 😞

Big Apple Caddy

A few things happened in the automotive marketplace over time.  More and more of the types of buyers that may have otherwise chosen Cadillacs (or Lincolns or large Oldsmobiles, Buicks, etc) had grown up with smaller imports and were more comfortable with and interested in choosing imports for their luxury cars than past buyers.  Never before seen competition from new Japanese luxury imports starting in the 1980s also provided trendy new choices and improved reliability (at least perceived if not reality) versus domestics and all of those came in comparatively smaller packages versus once traditional Cadillacs.  Eventually, the traditional Cadillac buyers started to die off, stop or slow down in their new car buying, etc and many of those that would've been part of the new crop of "large car" Cadillac buyers were instead looking more to hipper imports for their luxury vehicles and viewed Cadillac as the land yacht car company for old folks.

More recently, the shift has been to crossovers and SUVs which buyers seem to find appealing for the ride height, passenger and cargo capacity/flexibility, sporting image, etc.  Even exotic luxury brands like Bentley and Rolls-Royce have already or will soon be getting into that market.

jaxops

It's all about hard seats, stiff ride, and gas mileage.  Tell a car dealer today that you don't care about gas mileage and want something with comfort and no road noise....leaves them trying hard to find an answer!
1970 Buick Electra Convertible
1956 Cadillac Series 75 Limousine
1949 Cadillac Series 75 Imperial Limousine
1979 Lincoln Continental
AACA, Cadillac-LaSalle Club #24591, ASWOA

Steve Passmore

Quote from: Big Apple Caddy on May 07, 2018, 09:42:29 AM

.  Even exotic luxury brands like Bentley and Rolls-Royce have already or will soon be getting into that market.

Bentley already has an SUV.  I started to see the first ones her last year.
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

Big Apple Caddy

Quote from: Steve Passmore on May 07, 2018, 10:36:58 AM
Bentley already has an SUV.  I started to see the first ones her last year.

Yes, the Bentayga (that's what I was referring to by "have already").  It launched in 2016 and was Bentley's top selling model in the U.S. last year and is seeing even better numbers so far this year.  I believe Rolls-Royce's SUV, the Cullinan, is due to go on sale by year's end as a 2019 model.

David Greenburg

The answer to the OP is that they started buying Lexus LS 400’s, 460’s etc. I think those cars are the descendants of the traditional big RWD luxury cars.  V-8, total isolation, abundant luxury, right down to the rear seat cigar lighters.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

cadillacmike68

Hyundai even has their "genesis" line out.   ::)   

Those cars are bigger than my STS was...
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Greg Powers

Unfortunately the masses are still controlled by what we used to call "Madison Avenue".  The advertising industry has America brain washed into thinking that they need responsive handling and stiff suspensions to round those hairpin curves going to office and everywhere else they go for that matter. We need cars that talk to us and do all manners of unnecessary things (talk about distracted driving) that we just can't live without. If you don't want all these things then you're just out of touch. (You mean you don't have the latest i phone!!!)  Even at the last Grand National all Cadillac's new president spoke about was European competition for luxury marques, not a mention of Lexus.  Oh well, I'm still driving my 1994 Fleetwood Brougham. I am a dinosaur but  traveling in Cadillac Style and Comfort with a big V-8 and cushioned ride.
G.L. Powers>1954 Series 62 Sedan/1958 Fleetwood 60 Special-sold/1963 Series 62 Convertible-sold/1970 Fleetwood Brougham-sold/1994 Fleetwood Brougham/1971 Sedan Deville-sold/2000 Deville-sold/2001 DTS-sold/1976 Eldorado Convertible-sold/1983 Coupe Deville-sold/1990 Allante-sold/1990 and 1991 Brougham deElegance-sold/1992 Brougham-sold/Always looking!

Big Apple Caddy

Quote from: David Greenburg on May 07, 2018, 12:14:59 PM
The answer to the OP is that they started buying Lexus LS 400’s, 460’s etc. I think those cars are the descendants of the traditional big RWD luxury cars.  V-8, total isolation, abundant luxury, right down to the rear seat cigar lighters.

Unfortunately, far fewer are buying those anymore.  While Lexus has seen record overall sales in the U.S. as late as 2015, sales for the LS last year were way below where they were just 10 years prior.  Even with nice increases so far this year for the new redesigned 2018 LS, numbers are still well below where they had been at one point.   

Luxury brands like Audi, BMW, Lexus, and Mercedes-Benz have all seen record sales in the U.S. in recent years but sales of their large sedans remain well below their highs.

Big Apple Caddy

Quote from: Greg Powers on May 07, 2018, 10:41:05 PM
Unfortunately the masses are still controlled by what we used to call "Madison Avenue".  The advertising industry has America brain washed into thinking that they need responsive handling and stiff suspensions to round those hairpin curves going to office and everywhere else they go for that matter.

In that case, I guess the same sort of argument could be made about large luxury sedans and "Madison Avenue" decades ago.  Back then it was about convincing or brainwashing people into thinking that the prestige or desirability of a luxury sedan was measured by its exterior length.

76eldo

I'm really happy with my 2007 DTS.
Living room comfort, great ride, quiet, and still has V8 power when you want some.
Great all around road car.

Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

64\/54Cadillacking

I’m not sure what others drive in different states and if Domestic vehicles are more common say in Michigan and Georgia, or if Foreign makes are the more popular choice, because in a state like California where a high number of residents have a lot of money, they all mostly buy Foreign brands.

I witness countless luxury cars on road on a daily basis, and the majority of them are BMW’s and Lexus, Mercedes is also common, but compared to the other brands, Benzes are less noticeable.

We do have people driving old and new Cadillacs, but it’s not nearly as much as the foreign makes.

I agree to a certain extent that we have been brainwashed into wanting fast, sporty cars since going fast and turning on a dime is fun, and anything other that is boring and lame.

It’s interesting because personally I am not affected by advertising and I don’t fall for trends and TV ads. But it seems like a high percentage of people that watch TV or see Ads on their phones, do get sucked into the marketing play and somehow believe or is at least interested in what the Ad is portraying to them.

Taste change, I understand, and it’s becoming ever more difficult to truly find that one vehicle that has the same complete isolation as the old full-framed RWD Caddy’s did. Why does anyone want to feel bumps, and ruts in the road anyway? I want a modern car that drives over railroad tracks and you barely feel a thing.

I don’t want to spend a fortune on one either with all this fancy suspension tech when my old 64 Deville and 78 Lincoln Conti can just glide right over the bad stuff and not even be bothered by it. It’s crazy that we do have to spend a lot more money thesedays in order to obtain similar ride qualities of our classics.

That is why I’m seriously thinking of selling my still fairly newish 17 Impala and saving up to try to find either a nice 77-79 Fleetwood or a clean 90-92 Brougham to drive every day.

Call me old fashioned, or crazy, but dammit, I want a smooth ride that is borderline pillowy soft with those nice fat 75 series tires to absorb all the garbage beneath me. And in order to achieve that, I have to go back in time which is fine by me. I’m willing to give up all the modern tech that’s in my Chevy for something more comfortable and relaxing.

Oh how I miss my 94 Fleetwood!! Now i regret selling it. :'(
Currently Rides:
1964 Sedan Deville

Previous Rides:
1994 Fleetwood Bro
1972 Sedan Deville
1968 Coupe Deville
1961 Lincoln Continental

David Greenburg

One factor in that ride you like is wheelbase, and nobody is making anything with a wheelbase close to a ‘78 Lincoln!
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

Big Apple Caddy

Quote from: 64CaddieLacky on May 08, 2018, 11:31:43 AM
I’m not sure what others drive in different states and if Domestic vehicles are more common say in Michigan and Georgia, or if Foreign makes are the more popular choice, because in a state like California where a high number of residents have a lot of money, they all mostly buy Foreign brands.

I think it's more about the culture of an area and states like California have historically been early adopters and more welcoming of imports including cheap imports like the Datsuns and Toyotas arriving there back in the 1950s.  In general, the coasts tend to be more import friendly than the middle of the country.

64\/54Cadillacking

Quote from: Big Apple Caddy on May 08, 2018, 02:15:51 PM
I think it's more about the culture of an area and states like California have historically been early adopters and more welcoming of imports including cheap imports like the Datsuns and Toyotas arriving there back in the 1950s.  In general, the coasts tend to be more import friendly than the middle of the country.

True. People are different in CA, and are always competing against one another in the fight for pretentious supremacy.

It’s all about the latest and greatest, and driving a hip small car or a micro machine as I like to call them, are actually considered cool and attractive out here.

I still believe large vehicles especially a car like an S-Class and a 7 Series is still considered impressive and sign that the owner of those cars are very wealthy vs say someone driving a new Ford 150 that actually comes close to an entry level S-Class these days if you opt for the top of the line model in price.

Bigger cars are usually more expensive and that’s how it’s always been.

But drivers in CA compromise way too much, and I know it has a lot to do with high gas prices forcing them to downsize and purchase something that is a death trap on wheels.

Like I said, we’re a rare breed of enthusiast, so it’s possible I just might have to look into a Chevy Tahoe or some other big SUV that will drive similar to my old 94 Fleetwood that will give me a smooth comfortable, isolated ride quality that I’m searching for.
Currently Rides:
1964 Sedan Deville

Previous Rides:
1994 Fleetwood Bro
1972 Sedan Deville
1968 Coupe Deville
1961 Lincoln Continental

Big Apple Caddy

Quote from: 64CaddieLacky on May 09, 2018, 07:24:32 AM
I still believe large vehicles especially a car like an S-Class and a 7 Series is still considered impressive and sign that the owner of those cars are very wealthy vs say someone driving a new Ford 150 that actually comes close to an entry level S-Class these days if you opt for the top of the line model in price.
These models still carry prestige but not at the level they once did as sedans become less desirable overall.

Quote from: 64CaddieLacky on May 09, 2018, 07:24:32 AM
Bigger cars are usually more expensive and that’s how it’s always been.
Usually true, although with Cadillac starting in the mid-70s it was the smaller Seville that often carried the highest sedan pricing in the lineup with the large Fleetwood Brougham/Brougham/Fleetwood falling at or near the bottom.

64\/54Cadillacking

It’s crazy to think of a time when little ole ladies were powering those huge 70’s Cadillacs like it was no big deal.

You don’t see this anymore, as a matter of fact I am seeing vast amounts of older people driving smaller cars, and the Kia Soul and Toyo Prius for whatever reason is the epitome of the modern day old folks cruiser.

Currently Rides:
1964 Sedan Deville

Previous Rides:
1994 Fleetwood Bro
1972 Sedan Deville
1968 Coupe Deville
1961 Lincoln Continental