News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1970 NOS 472 Cadillac engine on e-bay - I bought it

Started by Scot Minesinger, May 07, 2018, 11:00:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scot Minesinger

That post on this forum seemed like the real deal to me, so I called the seller and he convinced me.  Picked it up Friday the 4th and it is in my climate controlled finished basement.  Looking it over carefully tonight it sure looks right.  Have no immediate need for it right now, but it seemed the find of a lifetime, so I had to have it.

I will take the heads off and make sure everything is good.  Then I will encase the engine in glass on the original wood shipping platform pictured, add casters (with locks), and interior lights - then it will be a very cool table.  Heck of a conversation piece.  Then if I ever need it - will be ready to go and the engine I take out will be installed in the glass table.  This solves my lack of storage space for cars and car parts problem and my need to buy some nice basement rec rm furniture.

When the table is done, will post some pictures.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

James Landi

A transmission setting on its fly wheel end would make a fine floor lamp, with an associated bell housing as the lamp shade.  Whadaya think?   Happy day, James

STS05lg

Scot, that is beyond cool. Congratulations on the find. Can not be to many NOS factory engines sitting around all these years later. As the guy at R&M Auctions says, "Well done"  :D  ;D

chrisntam

Don't know what the final sale price was, but based on my experience of the cost to rebuild one, the price is right in there where it needs to be.  And, you have a motor with no wear.

So with a motor that's been assembled for 45+ years, does one take it apart, re-pre-lube the bearings, hone the cylinders and replace rings?  Or fire it up as is?

How long can a motor sit before it needs to be taken apart and reassembled?

Great job on the purchase, where are you going to find another one?  I assume you drove the to the Empire State to pick it up?

8)
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

76eldo

Good job!  Went to a good home.
I wouldn't take it apart if I was going to use it.
Just pre lube it by spinning the oil pump with a drill and squirt down the cylinders and hand crank it a bit to get things moving.

For coffee table use, not required.  8)

Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Scot Minesinger

All,

Yes drove to NY to pick it up.  Had a trip to NH from VA planned and this was just an hour detour.

While, the engine probably is fine I will remove the heads just to be sure - no sense installing it to find a problem.  It was in dry storage and naked steel unpainted (bolt hole threads for alternator brackets for example are not rusted at all.  So I feel good about this.  Probably will post in technical section recommendations to check it out now, and maybe re-oil it for another long period of storage.

Incidentally this NY dealer bought three of these in 1973 because he felt it was the best 472 engine of the lot (1968-1974, yes 1973 at the time) because it was still high compression with no smog pump (heads have no hole), and of course it will fit in all 1968-76 Cadillacs and with minimal mods 1965-1979.  He installed it in his personal 1968 convertible in 1973, sold one and kept the third for his own use.  Now at 78 he has decided he will never use it and sold it to me.  Probably I will keep it for another 30 years and sell it.  Or who knows may use it.

Thanks,

Scot

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: chrisntam on May 08, 2018, 08:02:34 AM
How long can a motor sit before it needs to be taken apart and reassembled?
I heard that back in the 60's, If an engine didn't go into a vehicle within a 30 day period from manufacture, it would be scrapped.   This was with Chevrolet, so it could be the same with all GM factories.   Not sure when this changed.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Bruce,
For the 1973 Indy Pace cars that were actually track cars they went back and used NOS, in stock 1970 Eldo 500 motors from the parts department.  They modified the 1970 motors but they were still in stock in 1973
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Scot Your bride is a gem if she will put up with that in the family room. I thought I'd never hear someone trump the guy who admitted on a GN seminar that he had a Cadillac sign above his headboard. You will know that you "have it made" the first time she says, "Get your damn feet off my coffee table!" You'll be able to buy anything you want for the rest of your life!"
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Scot Minesinger

I think that a call to MTS is in order on this subject.  Removing the heads and inspecting certainly is not going to harm anything, if anything the head gaskets of today might be better.

The engine table will be in the basement -same level as garage (as it would be difficult to get up the stairs).  My ex-wife and I got divorced last year, so I decide everything (bought her out of the house) about furniture.  My new girlfriend is good with it.

WTL

Scot,
As rare as that engine is in its condition, I think we all feel lucky that it has fallen into your hands.  Please, take many many pictures when you have the chance and share. 

dochawk

Quote from: Scot Minesinger on May 07, 2018, 11:00:47 PM
Then I will encase the engine in glass on the original wood shipping platform pictured, add casters (with locks), and interior lights - then it will be a very cool table. 

And I thought that *my* wife was tolerant about this stuff . . .

:)

hawk

p.s.  hmm, this might be a solution for storing my Miata engine when we swap in the replacement . . .
1972 Eldorado convertible,  1997 Eldorado ETC (now awaiting parts swap from '95 donor), 1993 Fleetwood but no 1926 (yet)