News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1958 Hydra-Matic oil level

Started by J.J. Laakso, May 10, 2018, 07:57:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J.J. Laakso

Hi all,

My '58 60S Hydra-Matic is behaving strangely and I cannot get a clear reading with the usual "car level, engine hot and idling, gear in neutral"-method.

The dipstick tube is huffing and puffing and ATF is thrown all over the stick so I can not say what the level actually is.

What does your ATF dipstick say if you check it while the car is NOT running and NOT hot?

Dan LeBlanc

By the sound of things, fluid level is the least of your problems if you have huffing and puffing out the dipstick.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

J.J. Laakso

Might be, but could someone still please check their ATF dipstick and tell me what it says.

Thank you in advance!

Roger Zimmermann

When I restarted my '56 Biarritz after restoration, I forgot that the transmission was empty. I filled it up with the engine running and it happened exactly what yo are describing. Therefore, I suppose that there is not enough oil in the transmission.
Then next few days, I will check the fluid level on my '56 and '57 engine not running and cold. I expect to have the level much higher than the maximum because the oil which is in the fluid coupling is flowing back to the case. My cars are not at home, this is why I cannot check right now.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

J.J. Laakso

Thanks Roger!

My cooler line blew while the car was idling at my yard. Heard it and immediately ran to turn it off and added more fluid, but I guess it pumped out much more than I thought. I will keep adding, but still nice to know where the level is while not running. Easier to work with that info!

Roger Zimmermann

On both cars, the oil level is about 70mm (2.8") above the Full mark. On those transmissions, if the O ring at the filling tube is not tight, the oil will drop on the floor when the car is stored, but will stay dry during driving.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

fishnjim

When my '58 was running last, the ATF was always way up on the stick when not running.   I'm not quite back to running after rebuild so I can't check either.   These are toroid type convertors and hold alot of fluid, not typical of what most are used to.   You might try the '58 owners club.  I belong but dropped my yahoo so can't access.   They're on facebook but not sure if closed group.   I no longer do FB either, for the reasons they're having issues with now.
This trans uses 11 qts, and some not all stays in the toroid as Roger noted.
There's a procedure in the manual to fill the toroid with motor running, if wasn't properly filled.   Reverse is true, not all the fluid will come out through the drain plug, ~8 qts.  You have to drain through the plug in the toroid.   Remove inspection plate and rotate, if you're changing fluid.
If line blew, the cooler maybe partly plugged.   I had mine "cleaned" when trans rebuilt.      Needs special recirculator/filter.   Not all shops may have.