News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

I believe that "the market" has finally 'swung'

Started by Maynard Krebs, May 16, 2018, 12:06:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maynard Krebs

Since I was waiting all Winter long for the Spring sellers to appear on CraigsList (and e-bay), and here it is the middle of May, I am quite surprised that the number of good RWD Cadillacs offered for sale.. is way down from what I expected.   There is also a bit of a change.. in that really good '77 - '96 RWD Cadillacs are now commanding significantly higher prices.. than only a couple of years ago.   Meanwhile, the decent, average, or ordinary examples have become relatively more scarce.. because folks were reasoning (not all that long ago) that expensive maintenance items seemed more risky for cars that had little perceived market value.  So, many functional cars were neglected.

My 401k should do so well as pricing on fine RWD Cads over the last three years!

I believe that Cadillac owners are simply not offering their cars for sale at the same rate as two or three years ago... largely because there's hardly anything 'out there' to be desirable replacements.   What product planners at GM (and Ford) fail to comprehend is that NOT ALL buyers are interested OR willing to buy an SUV or truck-based whatever.   These young whipper-snappers plainly do not understand or appreciate those who still want a traditional RWD, fairly-long wheelbase automobile.

This trend has gotten so bad.. it's depressing, frankly.

Have YOU tried finding a nice '90 - '96 Brougham lately (that's NOT priced half-way to the moon)???  [Or even a '77 through '89?]   On top of that, far too many are those awful DARK painted colors, like black, dark blue, dark green, dark, dark, dark.   Mercy... can't we have a light green, baby blue, or beige???   Yes, I know; it's 'traditional' for Broughams to be painted black and similar dark colors.... but I HATE such colors.. that only show dirt, and get hot as hades inside!

And, no; I don't want a FWD.   I had one.. and they're more expensive to maintain, among other drawbacks.  And, no; I don't want a two-door car.   The doors on those things are three miles long:  who needs that?

Scot Minesinger

I agree with everything you wrote except I like the dark colors.  The lighter colors are OK except a few that are not for me.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Big Apple Caddy

Quote from: Maynard Krebs on May 16, 2018, 12:06:33 AM
I believe that Cadillac owners are simply not offering their cars for sale at the same rate as two or three years ago... largely because there's hardly anything 'out there' to be desirable replacements.   What product planners at GM (and Ford) fail to comprehend is that NOT ALL buyers are interested OR willing to buy an SUV or truck-based whatever.   These young whipper-snappers plainly do not understand or appreciate those who still want a traditional RWD, fairly-long wheelbase automobile.

This trend has gotten so bad.. it's depressing, frankly.

Have YOU tried finding a nice '90 - '96 Brougham lately (that's NOT priced half-way to the moon)???  [Or even a '77 through '89?]

I really don’t think what’s going on in the new car market has had notable impact on what may be going on in the old 1970s-1990s used car market.  Besides, there have been record sales in recent years in the new car market, with an unfortunate shift (in my opinion as far as personal preferences) from sedans to crossovers and SUVs but it is what it is.  Over 17 million new vehicles have been sold in the U.S. in each of the last three years.

I’m still seeing many “inexpensive” Fleetwood Broughams and Broughams out there e.g., 1991 Brougham with 53K miles for $5,000, 1989 Brougham with 63K for $5,950, 1989 Brougham with 30K miles for $5,000, 1989 Brougham with 44K miles for $4,595, 1985 Fleetwood Brougham with 52K miles for $2,995, etc.  Plus some “inexpensive” ones that recently sold on eBay including a 1990 Brougham with 35K miles for $6,500, 1989 Brougham with 59K miles for $3,850 eBay, 1986 Fleetwood Brougham with 56K miles for $5,800, etc.  There are also still many cheap cars ($300 to $2,500 range) out there plus yes, extra nice examples seeking/bringing a lot more.  As discussed in another topic on here, however, I do think more and more late 1970s and 1980s cars will soon start gaining collector interest as people who grew up in those decades start to seek out cars of that era.

64\/54Cadillacking

I’ve seen this too in my local Craigslist ads, even app based selling sites like OfferUp.

People think that sometimes they have a piece of gold in their hands and refuse to negotiate or price the car realistically and fairly.

A good clean running condition low mile 77-92 Brougham is usually priced over  $5,000 now, when you couldn’t give these cars away 5 years ago.

Within that price range an equivalent 50’s-60’s Cadillac that’s in rough almost non running shape will still cost you almost double that or even more depending on the year.

What’s worse is some sellers are not in a rush or are desperate for cash, so you’ll still see the Ad online for months.i never get this, obviously if nobody has bought the car for the asking price in such a long time what makes the seller believe it will even sell at all?

Seller to buyer, we rarely ever settle for the asking price, it’s always less for the most part.
Currently Rides:
1964 Sedan Deville
1954 Cadillac Fleetwood 60 Special
1979 Lincoln Mark V Cartier Designer Series
2007 Lexus LS 460L (extended wheelbase edition)

Previous Rides:
1987 Brougham D' Elegance
1994 Fleetwood Bro
1972 Sedan Deville
1968 Coupe Deville
1961 Lincoln Continental
1993 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
1978 Lincoln Continental ( R.I.P.) 1978-2024 😞

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Life is kind of not a reality show like most of those where “bargaining” (read that animated chiseling) takes up a good part of their air time. That is of course unless you are one of those folks that walk into Best Buy and offer them 1/2 the price listed on the item.
Any car I have sold has sold for the fair and equitable price I have asked for. My ego is not tied up in my wallet.
Any Cadillac after 1976 is essentially a “corporate” car meaning almost all parts are readily available.
What that means is repairs are not as expensive as on earlier cars and owners are more likely to keep them running to enjoy what is left of the luxury of an era.

Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

nysdarkblue

I think the 90 - 96 Fleetwood / Broughams are becoming more expensive is because they are MAYBE becoming more wanted like the 60 - 70 cars are. In any case, my Senior Crown 1990 Black Sapphire fire mist Brougham with 155,000 miles on it that has driven to 8 out of the last 10 Grand National's and planning on driving to Texas from New York will go for a mere $20,000. Too much?
Bill Estes
1990 Cadillac Brougham
2008 Cadillac DTS
2015 SRX

cadillacmike68

light green - barf; beige - double, no make that triple barf.

And NO, dark cars do not get hotter inside than lighter cars. I've tested this with digital thermometers.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

59-in-pieces

I agree with the premise of the title of this thread, as I see more and more of the era mentioned cars - look to be circulating now-a-days.

I got interested in a group that focuses on Cadillacs and their parts for sale.
Yes, there are many, I'm sure like this one, and I have no connection to the group and don't endorse it, other than to let you know about it, beyond the eBay and Craig sources.

There seem to be a fair number of 70's, 80's, and 90's ++ - with maybe a focus on Fleetwoods & Broughams.
The offerings are surprisingly heavy by low riders - strong secondary market - and what the heck - remove the 20's and you are back to beautiful and well cared for stock - you be the judge - you got the money.

The groups is: "Cadillac Cars And Parts For Sale" 23.5K members.

Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

cadillacmike68

Quote from: 59-in-pieces on May 17, 2018, 01:16:31 PM
I agree with the premise of the title of this thread, as I see more and more of the era mentioned cars - look to be circulating now-a-days.

I got interested in a group that focuses on Cadillacs and their parts for sale.
Yes, there are many, I'm sure like this one, and I have no connection to the group and don't endorse it, other than to let you know about it, beyond the eBay and Craig sources.

There seem to be a fair number of 70's, 80's, and 90's ++ - with maybe a focus on Fleetwoods & Broughams.
The offerings are surprisingly heavy by low riders - strong secondary market - and what the heck - remove the 20's and you are back to beautiful and well cared for stock - you be the judge - you got the money.

The groups is: "Cadillac Cars And Parts For Sale" 23.5K members.

Have fun,
Steve B.

That would be IF they didn't mess with the suspension & interior, etc...

Steve - no link?? or it is not allowed. Please PM me if you can't post it. Thanks.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Greg Powers

I think availability and pricing vary widely based on your region. You still have some people who think that their cars are worth far more than they are actually going to be able sell them for, if they really want to sell the car. Some are always testing the market  setting higher prices and fishing. Unfortunately on many of the Broughams and especially the last Fleetwood Broughams many parts are actually more challenging to locate than you might think. I recently had some work done on my 1994 Fleetwood Brougham and found out that a number of parts on that car were one year only, 1994 GM parts. Unfortunately many salvage yards crushed these big heavy Cadillacs when metal prices were high and  finding a good donor car maybe a challenge. The market may have ticked a bit but I'm not sure of how much of a swing has actually occurred
G.L. Powers>1954 Series 62 Sedan/1958 Fleetwood 60 Special-sold/1963 Series 62 Convertible-sold/1970 Fleetwood Brougham-sold/1994 Fleetwood Brougham/1971 Sedan Deville-sold/2000 Deville-sold/2001 DTS-sold/1976 Eldorado Convertible-sold/1983 Coupe Deville-sold/1990 Allante-sold/1990 and 1991 Brougham deElegance-sold/1992 Brougham-sold/Always looking!