News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

The simplest, easiest (dumbest?) question I've ever asked on here!

Started by CadillacMac, May 18, 2018, 05:59:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CadillacMac

This may seem elementary to those of you with the stellar engines, but I've got a daily driver (1965 Fleetwood) I've worked on piece by piece since I was a kid. (I'm only 31, but still)  So I don't really know what the engine compartment is SUPPOSED to look like until I see the flawless specimens many of you own.  I'm starting to think someone a long time ago took a SPRAY PAINT CAN to my engine bay.  Everything is painted black.  That--and the dirt is so think on some parts it just LOOKS black.  (Had to wipe away a thick coating to see I had that cool sticker on the cruise control box)

Question 1) Is there a sticker on the air cleaner, and if so--where?  Anybody have a picture?  My air cleaner is original, but doesn't have a sticker, which is surprising considering I have the Frigidaire one, Cruise control, etc. 

2) Parts like the alternator, brake master cylinder, power servo, master switch.  I remember these being black on my car when I was a kid, but as I replace them the new parts are silver colored.  Which is period-correct?  Not that it matters, since I painted the car red in high school and took the cheaper A/C route in getting a newer compressor/condensor, but I'm just curious!  Thanks!
“Ambition is a dream with a V8 engine. Ain't nowhere else in the world where you can go from driving a truck to a Cadillac overnight.”
― Elvis Presley

Scot Minesinger

It is good that you got to the point where you are considering the correct colors in the engine bay.

For all these color specific questions I would get the authenticity manual thru our club.  It will have the answers to all the questions you seek.  Problem is not all answers on this forum are correct and if you repaint something, which can be laborious it not be good if the advise was wrong. 

There is a "Cadillac blue" engine color used from 1949 up until the 1970's sold by "Bill Hirsh" - google it, and that will get you all the engine block, valve covers, fuel pump, starter and the like.  Power steering pump black, alternator - color out of box, not painted, compressor - black with sticker, air cleaner - black (not sure about sticker, might have been painted on), and water pump Cadillac blue.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

G Pennington

No, not everything was painted black.  You need to get a copy of the Authenticity Manual for the 65-66 Cadillacs fron the Cadillac LaSalle Club.  It will answer all your questions and a lot more.
Gary Pennington
   1953 6267X Convertible
   1941 6267D Convertible (2 door)

CadillacMac

Thank you, that is fascinating.  I was pumped when I found out about (and painted) the "Cadillac blue" valve covers a few years back, but I never knew MORE components matched it!?

And yes, I'm now REVERSING what I did in high school, like when I put an Edelbrock carb on instead of rebuilding the original.  (Don't worry, kept the old one and it will be added soon, goodbye stupid chrome air cover.)

Next--I may change out my chrome in-line fuel filter to go back to the glass bowl. 

Latest slight was when I priced out a complete A/C fix, I couldn't afford to replace/rebuild everything all original, so I have a baby new condenser and compressor on there...which hopefully one day I will ALSO reverse haha.
“Ambition is a dream with a V8 engine. Ain't nowhere else in the world where you can go from driving a truck to a Cadillac overnight.”
― Elvis Presley