News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Share pics of 67-69 cowl screen?

Started by taintedsaint, May 18, 2018, 11:59:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

taintedsaint

While I'm working through the resto-mod of my 68 SDV, there have been several pieces that have always been in mind that just didn't seem correct or could be improved. One in particular was a length of square wire screen, stainless steel, covering the top of the cowl intake. obviously to keep out debris and leaves. However, it just doesn't seem like factory piece, kinda like a cheap afterthought poorly executed. Could anyone share pics of what they have on their 67 thru 69's just so I have a reference before I design my own?
Its barely visible in upper RH of attached pic.
Really appreciate it.

Joe S.
Nokesville, VA 20181

savemy67

Hello Joe,

I believe '68 was the first year for concealed windshield wipers, so my '67's cowl does not have the screen.  You can sort of see the '67's sheet metal grill in the attached photo.  Someone with another '68, or maybe '69 - '70, can verify what yours is supposed to be.

Christopher Winter
Christopher Winter
1967 Sedan DeVille hardtop

cadmium

The ones in both of my '68s look just like the one in your picture.  That's what they used.
1968 Coupe deVille
1968 DeVille Convertible

taintedsaint

I didn't even take the concealed wipers into consideration!!!! Duh!!
Guess that explains a lot though. I'll set that thought aside for a while, perhaps something like it but different, more finished. On mine it just seems almost cheap. Thanks for the input and replies.
Nokesville, VA 20181

69Deville

1969 Cadillac Deville Convertible
1966 Cadillac Series 60 Fleetwood
1996 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham-sold :(

Scot Minesinger

Generally the 1967 and 1968 Cadillac were similar, except the cowl (concealed wipers for 1968) and of course the 472 engine.  The cowl screen might be unique to 68, as the 1969/70 Cadillacs are different.  However, you can easily make a cowl screen.  Don't forget the rubber gasket (about 4' long, between underside of hood near windshield and front of cowl) that keeps the intake from sucking in warm engine compartment air.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty