News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

What's missing in this picture? And can I replace it? (1965)

Started by CadillacMac, May 20, 2018, 01:17:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CadillacMac

1965 Fleetwood again:

Trying to get the washer fluid running again.  I rebuilt the pump with one of those little kits, but it looks like I'm missing something in that plastic circular part there in the middle.  What is it and can I replace it alone?  Or do I have to buy the whole thing? 

My wipers still work fine, don't want to have to buy a new motor since they're attached, haha.
“Ambition is a dream with a V8 engine. Ain't nowhere else in the world where you can go from driving a truck to a Cadillac overnight.”
― Elvis Presley

fishnjim

The round thing ratchets and actuates the plunger, so the pump connecting arm appears to be missing.   I'm not 100% sure, because it's been decades since I fixed one of these type.   Might even have one squirreled.   The diaphragms used to freeze and bust but you could fix that from outside.   Have no idea where you find this part, but try the wiperman.com   Should be a parts diagram somewhere.   Search.

CadillacMac

Thank you very much!

And you're right-- I need to at LEAST look at my manuals before bothering the good people of this forum!
“Ambition is a dream with a V8 engine. Ain't nowhere else in the world where you can go from driving a truck to a Cadillac overnight.”
― Elvis Presley

CadillacMac

Sorry to revive this one, but wanted to take another shot at someone knowing the answer to fixing my washer pump. Now that I know the piece I’m looking for, I’ve been told you can’t replace the pieceâ€"you have to go with a whole rebuilt pump, and they’re hard to find.

You guys think this thing would work??

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F301347837255

― Elvis Presley

klinebau

The pump you linked to should fit, but you will find that it is not exactly the same as the original as there is a provision for an extra connector used on later models.

I purchased a new one for the '70 a while back to replace my non-functioning original.  The new one was defective out of the box, but I was able to swap the broken part  in my original (cracked plunger) with a part from the new one.  I purchased the most inexpensive unit I could find on eBay (I may have paid $35) and the quality was awful.  My advice is to try the new part, but save your old one just in case.
1970 Cadillac Deville Convertible
Detroit, MI

67_Eldo

I tried the pump-rebuilding route on my 67 Eldorado but it didn't turn out well.

So I printed up a new cover for the windshield-wiper mechanism that incorporated a mount for the standard Trico aftermarket washer pump (~$12).

Now I have a more forceful stream of wiper fluid that doesn't drag down the motion of the wipers.

ElZilchoTX

Quote from: 67_Eldo on June 01, 2018, 09:06:36 AM
I tried the pump-rebuilding route on my 67 Eldorado but it didn't turn out well.

So I printed up a new cover for the windshield-wiper mechanism that incorporated a mount for the standard Trico aftermarket washer pump (~$12).

Now I have a more forceful stream of wiper fluid that doesn't drag down the motion of the wipers.

A fellow 3D printer owner here as well
Ryan Albert Donovan - CLC # 31361
62' Cadillac Sedan DeVille

CadillacMac

Woooow I was just talking with my mechanic friends about how 3-D printing is the way of the future...and you guys are already DOING it...

Thanks for the help guys, Cadillac Tim says he's got a rebuilt one for me after all, so hopefully I can dodge having to rig a new one up for now!
― Elvis Presley

russ austin

I wired in an electric pump. Removed the rubber cups inside the manifold, ran a ground wire from the original electrical connector and hid the pump under the washer reservoir. Looks original, and you have to look to find the pump. Press the wash button and a good stream of fluid comes out.
R.Austin