News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

newbie questions re 1974 eldorado convt

Started by Jimbo409, May 21, 2018, 09:30:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimbo409

Just bought a 74 eldo convt and have a few questions
1. My car needs a new top and top weatherstripping does anyone know roughly what the cost would be to install a new top, also can I install the top weatherstripping myself and how hard is this to do
2. I need the bumper fillers front and back how hard is it to do this and where is the best place to buy them are there any good videos that show how to do it I looked on u tube but not a lot on there. 3. also where are the best places to buy parts I know of opgi, usa parts, any where else I should try
love this website thanks Jimbo
Jim steffen

V63

I’ve done a few of these tops...I like the look of the cloth canvas upgrade vs original vinyl.

You will probably need the rear window assembly sold separate. The complete soft top assembly is about $400 in vinyl and $800 in canvas. There are also pads and the well.

The weatherstrip is usually put on at the top installation as much of it secures the top.

Jimbo409

Jim steffen

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

Replacing the front and rear bumper fillers is a big
job.  Both the front and rear bumpers have to come
off.  They are quite heavy so a "helper" would be
nice to have.  A floor jack will help support the
weight as you unbolt them.  Use a piece of wall-
wall rugging to keep from scratching them on the
jack.

USA parts has the replacement fillers made from
ABS plastic which is rigid so you don't need any
special flex agent in the paint.  The originals were
polyurethane.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

slowpoke17

I did the body fillers on my 85 Eldorado, a good service manual will definitely help. Are you going to have the top professionally installed? Lot of work and my fear would be if I messed up.
John Federico