News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1954 331 Engine Vacuum Tube Question

Started by 55 ledsled, May 21, 2018, 12:10:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

55 ledsled

Hello,
I just fired up my 54-331 for the first time and noticed that the large air tube that goes from the valley pan down and out, seems to letting a little light blue exhaust looking air out of it. Is this typical? I just thought that this was an intake for vacuum or vise-versa. I do have the vacuum line plugged and not connected to the wipers or anything else if that makes a difference? The engine seems to purr like a kitten though. Just thought I would ask the Caddy Gods to make sure.
Thanks

G Pennington

That is your crankcase breather.  A little blow by is normal.  In the 60's, they started routing the breather back into the intake (PVC valve).
Gary Pennington
   1953 6267X Convertible
   1941 6267D Convertible (2 door)

Jay Friedman

The way it works is that the bottom of the tube is cut at an angle.  As the car moves, the angle creates a slight vacuum that draws air through the crankcase and the oil filler cap (whose metal shavings inside act as a filter) and out the bottom of the tube as G Pennington said. 

Keep the oil filler cap's interior clean by occasionally washing it out with mineral spirits or kerosene. 
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Dont worry about it at this point--When we woke ours up after years of sleeping I could just watch the smoke come out of it. Now that she has run a bit which I think has unstuck the rings, I don't see much coming out of it at all. If you follow the tube up it goes under the intake and attaches to the valley cover.
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

55 ledsled

Awesome! Thanks a lot for the info. Very helpful.

wrench

1951 Series 62 Sedan
1969 Eldorado
1970 Eldorado (Triple Black w/power roof)
1958 Apache 3/4 ton 4x4
2005 F250
2014 FLHP
2014 SRX