News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

CUE = Cadillac User Exasperation

Started by cadillacmike68, May 21, 2018, 08:24:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cadillacmike68

Talk about George Jetson's nightmare. I can'e even figure out which button to push for wnat.

So, the CTS' radiator fan motor is FUBAR'd. I bring it to the dealer. Covered under the warranty plan. They have the fan but not the resistor, so I'm provided a free rental. I get this XT5. Can't even figure out how to get it out of park without the rental lady showing me.

Change the station on the radio sure, try setting a preset.

It's like Professor Fate designed this entire monstrosity and Max is Still trying to figure out which button to push.   :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WK57QCYF4Ug

Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

76eldo

Yeah. We have one. My wife drives it.
The screen has gone out and the car has been back 4 times.
I hate the touchscreen.
Still love my DTS though.
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

cadillacmike68

Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

James Landi

This CUe system is a perfect example of the revenge effect to technology--- it's complicating and  duplicating, in that one duplicates the effort to have it function

Greg Powers

It's why the Cadillacs of today will never make to a collector status. The technology will barely make it out of the warranty period. There will never be any hopes of keeping most any new car for longer than the 10 years that the dealers are supposed to be able to supply replacement parts. Sooner or later technology will make your car an obsolete piece of yard art.
G.L. Powers>1954 Series 62 Sedan/1958 Fleetwood 60 Special-sold/1963 Series 62 Convertible-sold/1970 Fleetwood Brougham-sold/1994 Fleetwood Brougham/1971 Sedan Deville-sold/2000 Deville-sold/2001 DTS-sold/1976 Eldorado Convertible-sold/1983 Coupe Deville-sold/1990 Allante-sold/1990 and 1991 Brougham deElegance-sold/1992 Brougham-sold/Always looking!

STS05lg

Greg hit it on the nail head, for example the rack and pinion on Helen's 05 is discontinued, dealer installed four different rebuilt units in one week until he got on that worked. And Helen blamed me because the replacements were defective, go figure..  :-\  :-\   :-\ designed obsolete in 10 or more years....

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

When the time came to purchase a new car for
the wife about 5 years ago, we looked around first
at the Cadillacs.  She just was not comfortable
with the CUE system -- so I wound up getting her
a Buick instead without all of the glitzy jazz that
we felt was unnecessary.

For all of the reasons previously noted, I'm glad I
did.  I'm not really a fan of these "touch screen"
masterpieces.  As Greg stated in the previous post,
in 10 years they will be yard ornaments -- impossible
or too costly to be repaired.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

Barry M Wheeler #2189

But guys, they give you this fantastic four inch square cloth (by Fleetwood) to wipe off your fingerprints from all the nice buttons...

They seem to have forgotten cars they've produced that you set the comfort setting ONCE and it stayed that way. Well, you might have had to adjust it a little in the fall when it started getting colder, and in the spring when it started getting warmer. And the air was the same temperature on both sides of the car, too. (Not cold coming out of one vent and warm out of the vent six inches away from the first.)
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Cadillac Nut

Never have that problem with my '59!  ;D  Greg said it.   The purpose of technology is to make things easier, that is all.  This is just unnecessary complication

cadillacmike68

Thing doesn't even have a knob for volume control.  >:(

And that damned shift control - Why is it that these things are supposed to be better than the straight line lever?   ???  I can just see when that electronic control fails and you car is no longer going anywhere...

I can't beleive nobody even picked up on my reference.  Push the button Max!  :P

Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Gary McKinney

I bought a new 2018 CTS a few weeks ago with the updated CUE, and it's a vast improvement over the old CUE.  The touch screen is intuitive (to me, anyway) and the response to inputs is very fast.  If I remember correctly, the new CUE was first introduced on the CTS and will eventually find its way into all other Cadillacs.  It's too bad it couldn't replace the old CUE across the entire line. 
Gary McKinney

1950 Cadillac Series 62 Coupe
1966 Cadillac Eldorado

wrench

The funny thing about the CUE in my 2014 SRX

The more I learn and master it, the more I dislike its severe limitations.

It's almost like 'Familiarity breeds contempt'.
1951 Series 62 Sedan
1969 Eldorado
1970 Eldorado (Triple Black w/power roof)
1958 Apache 3/4 ton 4x4
2005 F250
2014 FLHP
2014 SRX

Big Apple Caddy

Quote from: Greg Powers on May 21, 2018, 10:27:42 PM
It's why the Cadillacs of today will never make to a collector status. The technology will barely make it out of the warranty period. There will never be any hopes of keeping most any new car for longer than the 10 years that the dealers are supposed to be able to supply replacement parts. Sooner or later technology will make your car an obsolete piece of yard art.

I actually think advancing technologies may make it easier to restore/repair/refurbish/replicate/upgrade parts and equipment, including things like CUE systems, in older cars and help keep them on the road longer and not turn them into obsolete yard art.  Today's 3D printers are just the beginning of what tomorrow will bring.

Tpicks55

Boy, us old timers are very i'll at ease with technology.  I bet you put an eighth grader in the car and they wouldn't have any problems.  I do agree it takes some getting use to.  When the cue came out it had lots of bugs.  (normal rush to production)  My 16 xts has it all worked out and once given a little study its good.  Yep not like my 75 eldorado just a push of an on /off button in the radio and your off. lol.  Happy motoring!
75 Eldorado Convertible
94 Deville Concurs
2019 Lincoln Continental
2016 Cadillac XTS

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Quote from: Tpicks55 on May 22, 2018, 08:53:33 AM
Boy, us old timers are very i'll at ease with technology.
"Old Timers" are not the demographic they are targeting.
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

INTMD8

Quote from: Tpicks55 on May 22, 2018, 08:53:33 AM
Boy, us old timers are very i'll at ease with technology.  I bet you put an eighth grader in the car and they wouldn't have any problems.

Maybe, maybe not.

I know that when I turn the volume knob on my 59 it reacts instantly.  Don't need to wipe fingerprints off it each time either.

Push the volume button on a cue system and it's impressively slow to react, IMO.

I don't have a problem with technology but I want it to work and I don't want a touch screen.  (give me matte finish buttons, and not GM's that delaminate).

cadillacmike68

I'n Not technologically illiterate, I have a degree in IS and have been in the field since the original IBM PC. I keep multiple systems running and synched.

I also don't mind a touch screen. The screen in the 2008-13 CTS was well done. Not perfect, but you could use it rather intuitively. The STS was decent as well, but it buried the user settings in the main display, still at least they were all in one place whereas the CTS had three separate Driver info settings ranges to go through. The STS also has gallons used and elapsed time on playing discs that the CTS lacks. But the CTS has that up-loadable SSD HD. 

But these were usable systems, not the abomination that CUE is.

Max is still trying to find the right button to push to set the auto lock on vehicle exit - wherever that is. I hope he doesn't blow up the Eiffel Tower again.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

cadillacmike68

Quote from: Big Apple Caddy on May 22, 2018, 08:27:17 AM
I actually think advancing technologies may make it easier to restore/repair/refurbish/replicate/upgrade parts and equipment, including things like CUE systems, in older cars and help keep them on the road longer and not turn them into obsolete yard art.  Today's 3D printers are just the beginning of what tomorrow will bring.

This has already proven to not be the case. The XLR is a prime example.

But go ahead and let us know how well it works out to 3D print a long out of production audio / nav main system unit.  When an electronic part's supply dries up - there will not be replacements.

Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Jim Miller

I caught your reference Mike. Years ago a friend and I carpooled. If we got behind some idiot on the road our response was always "push the button Max".
Jim Miller

1941 6219
1949 6237X
1970 CDV
2021 XT6
Past:
1991 SDV
1999 DeElegence
2006 DTS
2013 XTS
2016 SRX

Big Apple Caddy

Quote from: cadillacmike68 on May 22, 2018, 10:59:50 PM
This has already proven to not be the case. The XLR is a prime example.

But go ahead and let us know how well it works out to 3D print a long out of production audio / nav main system unit.  When an electronic part's supply dries up - there will not be replacements.

Proven not to be the case?  We're not there now but “tomorrow” isn’t here yet.  I said 3D printers are just the beginning.