News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Should I Bid???

Started by 76Caddy, May 22, 2018, 06:22:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

76Caddy

Tim Plummer
CLC #18948
1967 Eldorado
1976 Brougham
1976 Seville
2019 XT5
1969 Chevy c/10 pickup
1971 Chevy Impala

Barry M Wheeler #2189

No rub strip on the sides, no skirts, where do you stop being "mostly original" and go to "major restyling?"
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

67_Eldo

I'd hold off. There are some major oddities here.

First of all, the grille is from a 1967. The 67 chrome goes straight across the top of the grille while the 68 hops up a bit on the front of the hood. Google the models at images.google.com to see what I mean.

Also, the steering column has been replaced. It has two gearshift indicators! Along with the funky aftermarket steering wheel, not a good sign.

He's asking on the high side of NADA valuation for a genuine 68. I don't think this car rates anywhere near that valuation. Not without some really good explanations anyway. :-)

Good luck!

Jon S

The absence of pictures of the engine compartment, interior and trunk leaves many questions requiring answers.
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

Is that shade of red an original color?  It looks rather
funky to me -- but I'm no expert on 1968.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Series75

I wrote to this dealer about his 1966 for sale.  Major references to "original" but the 1966 Cadillac he is selling has an installed 472 cu in engine.   I don't have time to unravel his logic but his response was something to the effect the car is driver original versus show original.  Ok then.

James Landi

Hi Tim,

I sold three of my Cadillacs on Ebay--- had each of them was marketed through a local Cadillac service department.  THey performed complete fluid flushes and were available to provide prospects with an independent assessment.  I can tell you this by way of summary, all three of the final bidders were mildly disappointed, and not one of them traveled to see the car, but instead relied on pictures, my narrative, and the assessments provided by the service managers.  All this is to say, do yourself a big favor--- avoid disappointment--- if you truly feel you'd love to have a car on Ebay, GO and see, inspect and drive the car.   You simply can not depend on pictures and narratives.  Happy day,   James

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

If this is the seller's idea of an "original survivor" I'd hate to imagine his idea of a poor restoration... ::)

There is so much wrong with this car I would not know where to start. Seller is obviously a "pro" in search of a starry-eyed victim - preferably one coming down the steps of the lottery commission, with check in hand.

If a zero was removed from the asking price, I would still request a drive- my only interest being a quick flip with no reserve.

A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

76Caddy

Hey, I was just kidding about bidding.  Thought some of you might get a grin from it like I did with all the "rare" and "original" things.  We here know "our" Cadillacs and when someone puts one out there for sale and doesn't know a thing about it, I have to smile and say "dumb@#$" who are they trying to fool.  Agree, would NOT buy that one for no amount of money!

Tim
Tim Plummer
CLC #18948
1967 Eldorado
1976 Brougham
1976 Seville
2019 XT5
1969 Chevy c/10 pickup
1971 Chevy Impala

slowpoke17

What's really sad is there are so many unscrupulous dealers out there that will gladly steel your money with some eye candy like this. I started watching some of these reality car shows and the majority are about somebody trying to reconnect to a family past memory or childhood dream and buys some big money car. Only when its delivered they can't drive it, lifted 4x4 trucks with the steering geometry is all wrong or the suspension is so messed the coil overs hit the rims when you hit a bump, half the frame is rotted and covered with rusty jones ...... The shop of choice is now tasked with trying to make it driveable so the new owner can actually use it. More money spent on a car/truck that you will never recoup.
John Federico

cadillacmike68

RUN AWAY!!!

That thing looks Fugly with those rear wheel openings. It looks like not only did they take them out but they made it impossible to ever put them back.

Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Scot Minesinger

I figured this had to be a joke post, as that car is in my mind a piece of trash.  The modifications, especially the rear wheel openings, color, hood ornament, and steering column are difficult to make them look good let alone restore it to original.  The missing body side moldings is a not good because you will suffer door dings.  Further a black interior is a huge negative for a convertible to me ( I would be very hesitant to ever buy one).  If you inspect and drive the car and it seems good mechanically, then it would be a fun car to take to the beach with the dog and just enjoy an open convertible without concern for cosmetics - value about 5-6k tops in mind if it is mechanically good, if not way less.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

David Greenburg

Wow!  Even a “factory original Cadillac cowl tag.”  How exotic! By coincidence I just got a message to call the Boise City Attorney’s office.  I wonder if they are  familiar with this seller.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

Series75

Quote from: 76Caddy on May 22, 2018, 08:43:19 PM
Hey, I was just kidding about bidding.  Thought some of you might get a grin from it like I did with all the "rare" and "original" things.  We here know "our" Cadillacs and when someone puts one out there for sale and doesn't know a thing about it, I have to smile and say "dumb@#$" who are they trying to fool.  Agree, would NOT buy that one for no amount of money!

Tim

So if u had No intention to bid why jerk us around?

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: Series75 on May 23, 2018, 07:18:05 PM
So if u had No intention to bid why jerk us around?

Negative jerking...
If you re-read the original post it clearly states -
"Says it is very "rare" and mostly original.  Thought i would ask before bidding(NOT)."

\m/
Laurie
There are 2 kinds of cars in the world, Cadillac and everything else....

The Present -1970 Fleetwood Brougham

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1987 Sedan De Ville "Commonwealth Edition"
1981 Coupe De Ville (8-6-4)
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Daily Driver and work slave -
2008 GMC Acadia SLT *options/all

35-709

You beat me to the punch, Laurie.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Jeepers Creepers

Quote from: Jon S on May 22, 2018, 07:08:37 PM
The absence of pictures of the engine compartment, interior and trunk leaves many questions requiring answers.

Bottom of the link has a lot more photos.
Kevin and Astrid Campbell
Australia