News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Our 2nd 'show', and (finally) antenna <DEL>

Started by Cape Cod Fleetwood, May 24, 2018, 01:17:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Just had a blast tonight... A&W in Harwichport has a cruise-in every Wednesday night during the nice weather months from 4pm on. And we're now batting .500 with driving to the event and DRIVING home from the event! Yes! Just a blast. So many cool cars there, baby bird, '63 Impala coupe in a restoration state, nicely restored GTO, and yours truly flying the Cadillac flag. A very nice couple driving a flawless '65 Tbird came over to chat. They own 11 old Caddy's, are members of the CLC and NERCLC. They'll be bringing their '48 Caddy to Heritage and suggested "we park together", how cool is that? The Ark drew quite a crowd, best comment of the evening was from someone looking inside stating "that's an apartment". 2 young boys on bicycles were mesmerized by the car upon departure, asking to hear the engine, hear it 'rev', etc. Their grandfather told them about "cars like these"... there's hope it seems.

When I first saw The Ark on Craig's List the one thing that punched me in the eye (in addition to the hideous color) was the antenna <sigh>. It just shucked my corn every time I looked at it. Well yesterday, I took it off. And was left with a violently bored hole 1 1/8" in diameter, larger than any body plug I've seen. So I got my MacGyver on. I had purchased too many unnecessary Christmas Trees from USA Parts. But it was perfect. Covered the hole and the surrounding damage. Cut the hood side straight, attached with a light adhesive and clamped over night. Perfect. A dab of black caulk early to fill the hold in the tree, a wee bit of touch up paint, I'm over the moon. I have a lot of trees, I'm going to paint one hideous turquoise and see what it looks like, maybe I'll paint the patch if I'm happy.

This is just too much fun. You spend hours primping the car... then YOU have to primp (shower, clothes, hair, make up), load the car, drive to event, unload, clean the car again, set up, and its over in 2 hours. Pack up drive home, unload, check the car, back into its lair and plug in. This is so cool.... And the root beer float was to die for.

Before and after pics of the antenna and the 'patch'. So thrilled not to see that ghastly thing anymore.

\m/
Laurie
There are 2 kinds of cars in the world, Cadillac and everything else....

The Present -1970 Fleetwood Brougham

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1987 Sedan De Ville "Commonwealth Edition"
1981 Coupe De Ville (8-6-4)
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Daily Driver and work slave -
2008 GMC Acadia SLT *options/all

cadillacmike68

Hi Laurie,

Sounds like a few places I go to here on a sort of regular basis. I'm glad you had a great time.

1070 (& 1971, I think) used that antenna in the windshield craziness, so your fender hole was a bubba the amateur duma$$ job. You can probably fit a power antenna in, but the 1970 radios did not have an antenna up or down button. If you have the built in antenna, it works, but not as good as a tall powered mast antenna.

Yes packing & unpacking for a show. I tend to leave the literature box (with catalogs from 1964-1984, test reports, photos, etc) in the car at all times, but still need to pack clean towels, etc.

At least you don't have to deal with love bugs, etc. I usually have to clean off every front facing surface. One time, on a longer drive, there must have been some 10,000 bugs on the front of the car by the time I got there and of course it was 95-100 degrees.

Then there's the mandatory chrome polish, and it it rained - forget it; the sky Cruiser gets Real dirty Real fast in the rain.

Went to a judged show (not CLC type judging) this past Sunday. It was over 40 limes away and it was raining before i left. So I switched cars and took the midnight cruiser (the dark blue Fleetwood). It never really did stop raining that day.  It id pause long enough for me to clean off the whitewalls though.

Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: cadillacmike68 on May 24, 2018, 08:00:32 AM
Hi Laurie,

Sounds like a few places I go to here on a sort of regular basis. I'm glad you had a great time.

1070 (& 1971, I think) used that antenna in the windshield craziness, so your fender hole was a bubba the amateur duma$$ job. You can probably fit a power antenna in, but the 1970 radios did not have an antenna up or down button. If you have the built in antenna, it works, but not as good as a tall powered mast antenna.

Yes packing & unpacking for a show. I tend to leave the literature box (with catalogs from 1964-1984, test reports, photos, etc) in the car at all times, but still need to pack clean towels, etc.

At least you don't have to deal with love bugs, etc. I usually have to clean off every front facing surface. One time, on a longer drive, there must have been some 10,000 bugs on the front of the car by the time I got there and of course it was 95-100 degrees.

Then there's the mandatory chrome polish, and it it rained - forget it; the sky Cruiser gets Real dirty Real fast in the rain.

Went to a judged show (not CLC type judging) this past Sunday. It was over 40 limes away and it was raining before i left. So I switched cars and took the midnight cruiser (the dark blue Fleetwood). It never really did stop raining that day.  It id pause long enough for me to clean off the whitewalls though.

Such fun...
I'm not worried about the radio working, I really concentrate driving/piloting the car. If I need music/info I have the battery powered CD/AM/FM radio that plays the 1970 music. Mike up here we have SEAGULLS that bomb cars like BUFFs. When I took my friends to Craigville Beach the other day, I couldn't believe 4 direct hits on The Ark when I got home, jeez.... Glad you got your Fleetwood out for a ride.

\m/
Laurie
There are 2 kinds of cars in the world, Cadillac and everything else....

The Present -1970 Fleetwood Brougham

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1987 Sedan De Ville "Commonwealth Edition"
1981 Coupe De Ville (8-6-4)
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Daily Driver and work slave -
2008 GMC Acadia SLT *options/all

cadillacmike68

For everyone that does not know what a BUFF is:

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/BUFF

You are pre-warned.

Laurie, there's one here parked in Orlando where the Bee-Line expressway (FL 528) crosses FL 436 just north of the Orlando airport, the Orlando airport being the former McCoy AFB - a SAC base. That's why Orlando's 3-letter code is MCO!
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

conv69

Wow I had never noticed that the 70s didn't have the antenna. I have a 69 but appears the fenders were replaced at some point with 70?  fenders because they have the front badges. AFAIK they didn't put those on the 69s... right?
Or did someone just add the badges to mine?? hmm..  It also has the power antenna on the passenger side. I will have to take a closer look to see if it is factory setup. I did replace it at one point and didn't notice anything that looked fabricated but will have check it out again.