News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

A Caddy boneyard in Boston?

Started by Cape Cod Fleetwood, May 25, 2018, 02:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Just fell over this... has anyone done business with these folks?
\m/
Laurie

http://gatelyrestoration.com/
There are 2 kinds of cars in the world, Cadillac and everything else....

The Present -1970 Fleetwood Brougham

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1987 Sedan De Ville "Commonwealth Edition"
1981 Coupe De Ville (8-6-4)
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Daily Driver and work slave -
2008 GMC Acadia SLT *options/all

Barry M Wheeler #2189

John has been in business for many, many years. Good guy, and he knows Cadillacs.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

jdemerson

I've not met Mr. Gately, but I've heard that he has helped a lot of Cadillac folks. He has had parts that are otherwise nearly impossible to fine.

John Emerson
John Emerson
Middlebury, Vermont
CLC member #26790
1952 Series 6219X
http://bit.ly/21AGnvn

Bobby B

Quote from: Cape Cod Fleetwood on May 25, 2018, 02:27:34 PM
Just fell over this... has anyone done business with these folks?

John is one of the nicest people you'll ever meet. When I was a newbie with the '47, he went out of his way to help me out big time. He explained a lot of things to me that I would've never known. If he didn't have the part, he was nice enough to point me in the right direction. He was way beyond fair with his pricing and shipping. Got me off and running with a good start. He's a real Gentlemen.....
                                                                                                                    Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

druby

I've know John Gatley for over 40 years of being in the Cadillac parts business and can add he is a fair & honest person, he'll do anything to help you out with parts, either having the part you need or put you in touch with somebody who has what your looking for. Between John Gatley, Fred Stone, Dennis Ackerman, Glenn Cole and Henry Ruby, they were the "go to" people for many years before the large suppliers took over.
1949 Cadillac 4DR Sedan
1952 Cadillac Convertible
1953 Cadillac Coupe deVille
1958 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz
1959 Cadillac Fleetwood

Jim Stamper

I agree with all of the above. I bought a nice 37 radiator and engine water snouts to the radiator. Fair prices, and a nice visit.
   He knows Cadillacs and LaSalles.

Jim Stamper   CLC#13470

Bobby B

Quote from: druby on May 25, 2018, 10:02:14 PM
I've know John Gatley for over 40 years of being in the Cadillac parts business and can add he is a fair & honest person, he'll do anything to help you out with parts, either having the part you need or put you in touch with somebody who has what your looking for. Between John Gatley, Fred Stone, Dennis Ackerman, Glenn Cole and Henry Ruby, they were the "go to" people for many years before the large suppliers took over.

Add Eddie Jones to that list. I can't tell you how many times he quoted me a price over the phone and I said " Are you Sure?"...... ::)
                                                                                                                                                                        Bobby
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

Highwayman68

I have talked with John on the phone many times, he even took my call one time while he was in the hospital waiting on a doctor to get back to him.

I have bought a few things from him, very easy to deal with. He is on my bucket list to visit which I have been saying for the past fer years. The problem is I know that I will have to drive there because I will definitely be leaving with parts.

Now I have two people to meet if I make it up there...
1968 Fleetwood Purchased in 1981

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Sounds like this is an approved company to do business with, thanks folks!

\m/
Laurie

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

BJM

In this day and age it is hard to get unanimous consensus on a person's reputation.  This is impressive. I wish he were recognized by CLC in one of their lifetime awards.   

Bobby B

Quote from: BJM on May 26, 2018, 08:43:09 AM
This is impressive. I wish he were recognized by CLC in one of their lifetime awards.

He and a few others should be recognized as far as being crucial to keeping our cars alive. We all know who the good guys are, and we also know who's out to rape us when we need parts. Supply and demand has a lot to do with it, but I hate paying a crazy amount of money for a low dollar item. I've learned who the go-to guys are, and who the last resort guys are....
                                                                 Bobby
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

autoluke

I have done business with John over many years, and can only give him the highest rating as a trustworthy supplier.

Truly amazing that he knows the application of every part by memory, AND exactly where the part can be located among a sea of similar items.
Phil Lukens

Lexi

I have also met and dealt with him. He seemed to be a decent individual to do business with. Clay/Lexi

Jay Friedman

Mr. Gately is a good guy and he has good stuff. 

However, I did once have a mildly negative experience with him.  Some years ago at his stand at Hershey I asked him if he had a Cad manual transmission part, a hard-to-find synchronizer.  He replied not there but back in Boston.  I said I'd drive up there following Hershey, but first wanted to know if he would be open on the Monday, which was Columbus Day.  I thought he said yes, and so drove up to Boston on the Sunday and visited friends. 

When I called his place of business on the Monday, no one answered until about 11 am.  He told me that even though he was there, none of his employees were and so I couldn't pick up the part.  I replied that it was a small part, and if still in a transmission I could remove it myself in less than 30 minutes with my own tools.  He said no, so I drove home in a bad mood.

Admittedly, I may have incorrectly heard what he said back at Hershey, so it may have been my own fault, but I thought my offer to assist with the part myself in Boston was unreasonably refused.
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

Bobby B

Quote from: Jay Friedman on May 27, 2018, 08:36:17 AM
I replied that it was a small part, and if still in a transmission I could remove it myself in less than 30 minutes with my own tools.  He said no, so I drove home in a bad mood.

As far as I know, for insurance reasons, most scrap yards are not allowed to let anyone into the yard to "pick" their own parts. I'm sure there's places that still allow it, but in my neck off the woods they stopped that about 20 years ago. Just a thought......
                                                                                                                                     Bobby
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

cadillacmike68

Quote from: jdemerson on May 25, 2018, 04:29:35 PM
I've not met Mr. Gately, but I've heard that he has helped a lot of Cadillac folks. He has had parts that are otherwise nearly impossible to fine.

John Emerson

Bad parts - fine those bad parts!  :P

I'll definitely add to my vendor list.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Just to follow up, I've called their number 4 times, and get a Verizon recorded message that says "the customer is unavailable, please try you call again later" each time.

Tried to reach them on their website, no <SEND> button after you complete the form.

Now I've reached via messaging on their Facebook page.

\m/
Laurie

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

Highwayman68

That is very strange.

The number on their website and FB is the number I used. I believe it is John's cell phone.

They posted on FB on May 29th.
1968 Fleetwood Purchased in 1981

EAM 17806

LAURIE:  You are lucky you found John Gately to buy parts from. He is one of the most honest dealers you'll ever deal with and very fair in pricing out parts. Everybody around New England knows what a great guy he is so don't hesitate to do business with him.  EAM
Ev Marabian

1976 Cadillac Coupe DeVille, 1989 Chevrolet Caprice Classic, 1990 Pontiac Bonneville and 1996 Buick Skylark

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: EAM 17806 on June 04, 2018, 04:32:38 PM
LAURIE:  You are lucky you found John Gately to buy parts from. He is one of the most honest dealers you'll ever deal with and very fair in pricing out parts. Everybody around New England knows what a great guy he is so don't hesitate to do business with him.  EAM

I'd *LOVE* to do business with him...
if I ever talk to him...

\m/
Laurie

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville