News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1966 Cadillac master cylinder

Started by gkhashem, May 27, 2018, 09:39:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gkhashem

When I first got the car 5 years ago I needed to replace the master cylinder. I finally got around to sending the original Bendix one in and just got it back.

However I noticed a some chips on one edge of the primary piston where it attaches to the push rod. I was wondering is this an issue?

I see nothing else loose but if it chips again could this ruin the internal bore on the primary piston if a piece of metal flaked off?

It appears solid and I did not notice it chipped when I sent it out. I guess I need to examine everything carefully before. But wonder if the rebuilder damaged it?
1959 Oldsmobile 98 Holiday Sports Sedan
1960 Cadillac Coupe Deville (CLC Sr #72)
1964 Oldsmobile 98 Town Sedan (OCA 1st)
1970 GMC C1500
1977 Oldsmobile 98 Regency Coupe
1978 Cadillac Coupe Deville (CLC Sr Crown #959)*
1992 Oldsmobile 98 (OCA 1st)
1996 Oldsmobile 98
*CLC Past President's Preservation

Past Cadillacs
1959 Coupe Deville
1966 Coupe Deville (Sr #861)*
1991 Eldorado Biarritz (Sr #838)

Scot Minesinger

Regardless of the function, I would contact the master cylinder re-builder and get it corrected with a non-chipped unit.  It is difficult to imagine that a machined piece like that would be OK as you pictured it.  Normally components that do not require smooth surfaces (i.e. machining at extra manufacturing cost) do not receive them.  I frankly do not know if this is OK or not, but would not accept it.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

George,

I'd repair or replace it. If something breaks off something, by definition it was meant to be there. IMO, brake systems are not open to compromise.
1966 Fleetwood Brougham-with a new caretaker http://bit.ly/1GCn8I4
1966 Eldorado-with a new caretaker  http://bit.ly/1OrxLoY
2018 GMC Yukon

gkhashem

Thank you for the input guys.

I know with about 99% certainty this unit did not go out this way. It the original Bendix unit that was painted black also. They sent it back gray but I did not specify a black satin finish, OK my fault for not asking but this unit has been ruined.

Do they have replacement primary pistons for these??? I suspect someone mauled it on  the rebuild?

I think you guys confirmed my concerns, it's just seems like this slipshod stuff just follows me all the time or is it my imagination the quality of work done now is poor.

1970 GMC C1500
1996 Oldsmobile 98

Past Cadillacs
1959 Coupe Deville

gkhashem

I guess they re-sleeved the master. So if this was done can they take the piston out and replace it?

Then again are these pistons just laying around? I found the owner quite contradictory and it made me feel uneasy. Plus they called for my credit card and said it would be shipped the next day. Well no it was shipped a week later.

Who else charges you before they do the work? Even the dentist asks for payment after the visit. Enough for me he may have ruined a nice Bendix core. You really see so few of them around now.

Then I asked for a quick turn around since he screwed up, well he said it would be soon, well I said 7-10 days is plenty. So it got testy so he said a few more things that were not quite accurate and finally said do not send it back. I would get my money back.

Of course my core may be ruined?  Any one else you guys could recommend for this? The responses from the owner leaves many doubts in my mind on the trustworthiness of this person.
1970 GMC C1500
1996 Oldsmobile 98

Past Cadillacs
1959 Coupe Deville