News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Preservation vs Restoration

Started by Sconnors, May 27, 2018, 07:55:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sconnors

I am the proud owner of an original unrestored 1968 Cadillac Sedan De Ville. The car has some very minor surface rust on the bottom of the front and rear fenders. My question is this: if I fish this surface rust does the car cease to be original and unrestored? How do you Cadillac owners approach preservation vs restoration?
Scott Connors

Bobby B

If that's your only problem, my advice would be to leave it as-is. Unless you have someone that's going to match the original Lacquer Finish correctly, you might not be happy with the repair. I would leave it alone and enjoy the car. Don't sweat the little things.....
                                                                                                                              Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

Barry M Wheeler #2189

I would carefully rub out the area with polishing compound. You might get rid of some of the rust. But not if it's started to separate with raised edges and flake off if you rub it too hard.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Still essentially an original car even with some minor body repairs.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

35-709

Wouldn't be a bad idea to get in there and see just what the true extent of the rust is.  Very common areas for the rust to come through from the backside and it may be worse than it appears.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

59-in-pieces

Scott,
That is a good question - and I don't have a clean answer - only an opinion from a guy who goes Frame Off nuts = Restoration.
And honestly, it is because the cars I can afford are such a pile - because the previous owner drove the car until the wheels came off.

It seems to me that a Preservation addresses keeping the car or a part from further deterioration.
While Restoration goes beyond and tries to bring a car or a part back to as close to new (OEM) as possible.

There are those who say "It is only new once", and who view Preservation much better than Restoration because it often times takes the car to a level not achieved when new.

I for one believe you should do what makes you happy with your car and enjoy driving it - and likely Preservation is the way to go.
But, if you are a bit mercenary, a fully restored car brings bigger bucks when its time to sell - open market or auction.

Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

cadillacmike68

You definitely want to stop the rust from spreading any further. Beyond that it depends on the rest of the car and whether or not you think you'll ever re-do the interior or engine. If not, then leave it alone as much as possible other than repairing / stopping the rust areas.

As noted these spots can grow from the backside out.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike