News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1973 CADILLAC SEDAN DEVILLE - GEAR SELECTION INFO REQD

Started by BIG RAB, May 29, 2018, 09:11:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BIG RAB

Re the above which I've imported to the UK.

When moving the gear shifter from 'P' to 'Drive', as it passes through 'R' the gear engages and tries to move the car for that split second.

Does the same when going from 'Drive' to 'P'.

This despite pulling the shifter right back when selecting.

Not a great issue but the car fairly lurches when cold on high choke revs.

Any idea what the issue may be ?

Regards

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Robert,
Depending upon how fast the motor is running and how fast you shift from "Park" to "drive".  The solution is to keep your foot on the brake while doing so.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

BIG RAB

savemy67

Hello Robert,

With the engine running, the hydraulic system of the transmission is, in effect, immediately pressurized.  Any movement of the gear selector will correspondingly move the manual valve which in turn will pressurize the selected hydraulic circuits if only for a split-second as you "pass through" the selected gears.

This can be more pronounced when the fluid is cold, and when the engine is at high idle.  If you have a shop manual, adjust the shift linkage as per the manual.  Also check the idle speed settings on the carburetor, and the choke for correct operation.  As Greg implies, if you pull back on the selector, and crisply move the selector to drive, you allow little time for the manual valve to pressurize the R and N circuits.  A "lazier" pass through the gears allows more time for the R and N circuits to get fully pressurized.

My car is still in "testing" mode, so I have a pressure gauge plumbed into the transmission, and placed outside the car where I can observe the pressure changes as the car is shifted into the different gears, and as it shifts when moving.

Your symptoms seem near normal.  I would check the linkage and carburetor adjustments and note any changes.

Respectfully submitted,
Christopher Winter
Christopher Winter
1967 Sedan DeVille hardtop

BIG RAB