News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1952 Cadillac shocks

Started by Brian Francis #1731, May 29, 2018, 07:18:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian Francis #1731

I'm looking for shocks that match the specs (or close to it) of the OE shocks.  Since 1952, shocks have moved from hydraulic to the inclusion of gas which puts more pressure in the shock. I use bias ply tires by choice and want the original suspension ride.  Does anyone know where I can find OE, rebuilt OE or OE replacement shocks?

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

I looked through the Master Parts Book I have since
I was curious.  The shocks for the front / rear were
the same for several years 51-53 (front) and 52-53
(rear) depending on what model you have -- that's
for the series 62.

There are not rebuildable as far as I know.  I had the
same issue when I restored my '55 Eldorado.  I did
find a set of 4 original OEM spiral shocks for which I
paid $500 -- that was in 2008.  The gentleman ran
a monthly ad in Hemmings and was in the mid-west.
Unfortunately, I don't remember his name or know
if he's still in business.

You might try AllCads (Ed Cholakian) -- if he doesn't
have them he might know where they can be had.
Good luck,

Mike

1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

Brian Francis #1731

Mike, thank you for your response.  Shocks seem to be an afterthought where Monroe or others offer a replacement product but I don't believe their specs are the same as OE which is what I want. 

signart

If you are riding on 65 year old springs, you won't be getting the oe ride of a '52 Cadillac with new oe spec shocks. If you want to enjoy driving it, I would go ahead and improve the ride and handling you have now with Monroe Sensa-Trac gas shocks.
Art D. Woody

Dan LeBlanc

Oh yes, the original tube shocks CAN be rebuilt.  I was going to get the original shocks rebuilt in the 61 when I had it, but had since found a set of Pleasurizers.

These folks can do it - I had reached out to them about it:

http://www.shocks2springs.com/
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Brian Francis #1731

Dan,

I checked out the website of "Shocks and Springs."  It appears they have what I want. Thank you for the lead.  BTW, I replaced the springs about 10 years ago.  I purchased them at Detroit Spring.  Very satisfied.

Brian

Dan LeBlanc

Eaton Detroit spring is ok, however, they tend to offer a one size fits all spring rate usually based on the Series 75. Coil Spring Specialties will supply you the correct spring rate as published in the service manual for your particular model for the absolute best in correct ride and stance.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Brian Francis #1731

When I purchased the springs from Detroit Spring around 10+ years ago, I talked to them and they went into detail regarding the different spring specs they offered just for the 1952, such as 62, 60, 75 series, etc.  They may have changed since then.

Thank you again for your response to shock information and manufacturers.  One more thought, should I chase down some OE spiral shocks and have them rebuilt or just purchase replacement shocks, such as those offered at Springs and Shocks?

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

Brian:

I was curious so I looked at their website.  From what
they say, they do have a "limited supply" of OEM
shocks available.  Perhaps discussing the cost and
availability of those vs. their reproduction shocks
would be a starting point for a decision.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

Brian Francis #1731

Thank you for all of your responses.  I now have more options than I realized for shocks replacement.