News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Rear wheel bearings for 1940 LaSalle

Started by z3skybolt, May 30, 2018, 11:55:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

z3skybolt

Gents,

Any idea how many miles the sealed rear wheel bearings for my LaSalle could be expected to last?  I recently packed  the front bearings and they looked like new.  Not sure how many miles on the bearings but the car was nicely restored in 2000 and now has 7,300 miles on it since. It's possible they are original but most likely were new in 2000 as were many parts.

I plan/hope to drive the car 10s of thousands of miles over my remaining lifetime. Wondering if I should buy a new set of front and rear bearings while they are still available and put them away for future use.

Thanks,

Bob
1940 LaSalle 5227 Coupe(purchased May 2016)
1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series. Bought New.

ElZilchoTX

Sealed bearings should easily last 80k+ miles, just service them every 20k-30k miles
Ryan Albert Donovan - CLC # 31361
62' Cadillac Sedan DeVille

Fred Pennington 25635

The miles are not usually the problem. The bearings last a very long time if the car is used on a regular basis. The most common problem is inactivity. When the car is not used enough to keep the grease mixed up it will get hard and be pushed out of the way of the bearings. You can pull the axles and remove the seal on the bearing to check and grease as necessary. These will fool you.  Problems don't usually show up until you take a long drive.
Fred Pennington, CLC 25635
1940, LaSalle 5019
1940 LaSalle 5019 parts car
1968 Ford Bronco
1973 Mustang Convertible
2012 Shelby GT500

z3skybolt

Thanks Albert and Fred,

The shop manual says the rear bearings do not need servicing.   That is why I had concerns. I will follow up on your advice as I sure don't want to have issues.

Bob

Brad Ipsen CLC #737

If the rear wheel bearings were changed in 2000 there should be no problem.  If they were not changed then you need to change them.  It is not an issue of grease.  The problem is these early sealed bearing did not have the materials we have today for the seals.  The seals fail after a number of years then the grease escapes and the bearings fail.  They are not a regreaseable item, that is why the FSM states no service required but they do need to be changed if the seals fail or ideally before they fail. 

Have never seen a problem with the front wheel bearings as long as they still have grease in them.  They can be cleaned and inspected and if they look good they are good.  With new grease they are as good as new.  The only problem I have seen is in a 12,000 mile car that had sat for who knows how many years in one place.  The bearings were dented.
Brad Ipsen
1940 Cadillac 60S
1938 Cadillac 9039
1940 Cadillac 6267
1940 LaSalle 5227
1949 Cadillac 6237X
1940 Cadillac 60S Limo

z3skybolt

Thanks Brad,

That is more to my understanding. Perhaps I should purchase a new set for possible future use.  Is it difficult to inspect the sealed bearings? I am 71 with excellent health at the moment. If all bodes well.....I intend to drive the LaSalle for as long as it and I last.

Bob

Bob Schuman

Two additions to the above comments:
Try to buy US made bearings if possible, not Chinese bearings. The Chinese ones may be of poor quality. Try Olcar Bearing Co. as a possible supplier
To remove the rear brake drums a three jaw or five jaw puller that bolts to the wheel studs is ESSENTIAL. Use of any other improvised tools is asking for irreversible damage to the brake drums.
Bob Schuman
Bob Schuman, CLC#254
2017 CT6-unsatisfactory (repurchased by GM)
2023 XT5

Bill Ingler #7799

Here is a picture of the drum puller that Bob refers too in his posting. It is always better to let a machine shop press off and on the rear axle bearings. Too many times, in order to save money, a punch and hammer are used to try to drive off and on the bearings. A miss by the punch and you damage the axle where the axle seal rides. Now you have created a leak.   Bill

z3skybolt

Many thanks,

I have made copies of your posts and the picture of the puller for future reference.  Given no indications, at the moment, of any problems...leaks, noise, heat....I am hesitant to have them pulled simply to inspect.   On modern automobiles I have heard bearings going bad long before any issues arose.  Hopefully that will be the case with the LaSalle??

Still I believe that it is a good idea to purchase a set from Olcar and have them available.  I appreciate so much advice from experienced persons like yourselves.

Bob

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Bob,
I have old stock name brand bearings made in the 60's & 70's. Before Chinese junk. Contact me directly if interested.
Thanks, Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

Jim Miller

I purchased a set from George at Olcar. I followed what Bob Schuman said and had borrowed a puller as in the photo. It appeared my bearings had been replaced at some point by Bob Messinger, the prior owner, and were very clean so we put everything back together and I have a new set of bearings on the shelf, for when they are needed.
Jim Miller

1941 6219
1949 6237X
1970 CDV
2021 XT6
Past:
1991 SDV
1999 DeElegence
2006 DTS
2013 XTS
2016 SRX

Bill Ingler #7799

Bob: I have been on two CCCA CARavans where two Cadillacs had rear axle bearing failures almost causing the loss of a car. A 41-75 parked for lunch and noticed smoke coming from the right rear wheel. Then more smoke and flame. Burned some rear seat material before they got the fire out. The morning tour was about 50 miles and someplace in that 50 miles the axle bearing seized causing enough friction heat to build up causing a fire in the wheel brake cylinder. Yes, it might require some work to inspect your axle bearings but how can you be sure the bearings were changed in the 2000 restoration? Both my 41 and 47 had original New Departure bearings installed by the factory when the cars were new. I installed new bearings on both cars to be safe.   Bill

Bob Schuman

The new bearings will come with a steel retaining ring about 1/4" thick that is not used on 1941-1948 cars. It is used with the same bearing when
used on 1949 and later cars.
Brad, is that ring used on pre-1941 models?
Bob Schuman
Bob Schuman, CLC#254
2017 CT6-unsatisfactory (repurchased by GM)
2023 XT5

z3skybolt

Bob Schuman,

I accidentally sent you a personal message intended for Bob Hoffmann.  Please disregard. Bob Hoffmann I will now send you a message.

Too many Bobs. Haa haa.

Bob Ritchie

Brad Ipsen CLC #737

The ring supplied with the new bearings are not used on 1940 cars.
Brad Ipsen
1940 Cadillac 60S
1938 Cadillac 9039
1940 Cadillac 6267
1940 LaSalle 5227
1949 Cadillac 6237X
1940 Cadillac 60S Limo