News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1949 Cadillac front end adjusting Caster and Camber

Started by c182jp, May 31, 2018, 01:19:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

c182jp

Could anyone enlighten me on setting a front end of a 1949 Fleetwood? I see the pictures in the maintenance on how to adjust but Kent Moore too J-720 is hard to find. Looking at situation now and trying to figure what else may be used.

Bob Schuman

The only "special" tool you need is a 5/16" allen wrench, preferably one for use with a socket wrench drive, to adjust caster and camber. Remove the grease fitting on the front side of the upper end of the steering knuckle, loosen the clamping bolt, insert the allen wrench through the grease fitting hole into the pivot pin, and you can then turn it to adjust both caster and camber. If there is no female allen hole in the front of the pivot pin, someone has installed that pin backwards.

On some cars that may not give enough adjustment. If so, then the lower inner pivot shaft must be unbolted from the frame crossmember to allow rotating that shaft in its bushings to move the lower arm forward a little. That is much more involved, so I would suggest not doing that unless the car won't drive properly with the adjustment available at the upper pivot.
Bob Schuman
Bob Schuman, CLC#254
2017 CT6-unsatisfactory (repurchased by GM)
2023 XT5

Steve Passmore

I think he may have been referring to the actual Caster and Camber equipment Bob.??
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

Jay Friedman

What is Kent Moore tool J-720?  My '49 shop manual has a list of Kent Moore tools needed in a '49 (pages 219-220), but I don't see this tool on the list?  As Bob wrote, to set the caster and camber, you only need a 5/16" Allen wrench.  For the toe-in you only need ordinary tools. 

However, to measure the caster and camber you need special wheel alignment equipment.  For that reason, it's best to have it done by a professional in a shop which has the equipment.

An additional note.  Sometimes the pivot pin behind the grease fitting, which is an eccentric, is hard to turn.  In that case, loosening the two large nuts at the upper end of the steering knuckle should help.  When tightening these afterwards, the rear nut should be torqued to 145-155 foot-pounds.  The front nut is not torqued but should be tightened to a point where there is a gap of 1/32 inch (.031") between the back of the nut and the shoulder of the steering knuckle.  Then tighten the cinch bolt to lock the front nut.

1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."