News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Sombrero diameter

Started by papas52cad, June 04, 2018, 10:13:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

papas52cad

I have just purchased and received my sombreros from McVey...for installation on the 15” steel rims I just received from a fellow CLC member ( off a 49 cad) and are correct for the car..including the center tabs to secure the hub cap
I would like to get a few diameter measurements from a few fellow sombrero owners..( especially if they are factory vintage) to know what they should be...
Mine are 16.25”...of course Mc Veys states they are correct and duplicate the original factory hub caps..??
The reason I am questioning these is when I checked them when I brought to the shop who will install new Diamond back II tires tomorrow to get the correct valve stem length, the sombrero will completely cover the rim, ( powder coated red!!) where only the very edge of the rim (1/8”) will reveal red...not what I was expecting based on several photos of other wheel/sombrero hubcap combinations
A photo with the tape rule diameter measurement will be best.
Not sure I have much choice ..but I will now check with caddy daddy on their sombrero diameter...
Right now...Sitting In Sombrero limbo...
Thank you
Peter
1952 Fleetwood

Barry M Wheeler #2189

I think you may be tilting at windmills. There is very little, if any of the wheel that shows when a full wheel cover is installed. That is what the original owners wanted. And do you honestly think someone would go to the immense amount of trouble to replicate a limited interest product like this and then get it "wrong?" These items were sought after immediately when they were introduced. The earlier 1941-46 wheel covers did show a wide band of wheel color. But not the sombreros.

(Why do you think GM started painting wheels in dull black after full wheel covers caught on? Mainly as it was cheaper not to have to offer body color wheels anymore.)

Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

papas52cad

Hello Barry
Thank you for giving me a history lesson...the main reason I questioned this at all was because of what I saw on other same year cads..see attached...the black car is owned by John Emerson, and from what I know I thought it was an orig phi alpha 52..the other issue I was thinking of is how did they then put the cax weights on...I believe there is even a thread on this subject in the forum...for the full cover would they be behind the hubcap...I don’t believe the stick on weights were available...
Don’t get me wrong these are beautiful works of art...
Thank you again for your reply
Peter
1952 Fleetwood

Barry M Wheeler #2189

I can see where you may have been confused. I have no idea why so much "shows." Anyhow, you are to be commended for wanting your car to be "right." I hope I get to judge it sometime at one of our shows. (That is the province of the Past Presidents... Judging original cars.) Best of luck. BW.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

papas52cad

Hello Barry
Thank you, appreciate the good vibes...I live in upstate NY so not sure how likely the chances for you to judge it..but I would be honotpred..it is not original, it hades some modifications but they are concealed very nicely.

I went with these caps after your soothing words and seeing more info from Craig at McVeys..
I think it came our great and the DB tires are sweet and drive much better than my BF Goodrich radio also that came on car with the Sabre wheels.
Stay well..
Perhaps we will meet...never say never
Peter
Have a look

1952 Fleetwood