News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1970 Neutral Safety Switch Restoration

Started by klinebau, June 05, 2018, 10:14:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

klinebau

The neutral safety switch for my 1970 Convertible leaks vacuum.  The rest seems to work ok although the reverse lights don't always come on.  How hard is it to restore one of these switches?  I haven't studied it in detail yet, but I think I heard the tabs tend to break when trying to disassemble.  Also, how difficult is it to remove and replace on the steering column?

I am inclined to give it a try as the prices for NOS and restored units on eBay are quite high.  The worst-case scenario is that I will have to buy one of these expensive units.
1970 Cadillac Deville Convertible
Detroit, MI

69Deville

I restored mine, but a tab did break which lead to me having to epoxy it back together. I ended up finding a nice and cheap used one on eBay and replaced it.

As for removing it, it is very easy to get to and to install/adjust.
1969 Cadillac Deville Convertible
1966 Cadillac Series 60 Fleetwood
1996 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham-sold :(

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

I would suggest you determine if it is really leaking. It probably is but if your reverse lights don't always work then it may be out of rig. Mine works most of the time but every once on a while it won't start until I cycle it.
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

klinebau

The vacuum definitely leaks in park and I doubt moving it a degree or two one way or the other is going to help, but an easy fix would be nice!  However, that is a good point and I will try to adjust it before I do anything else.
Detroit, MI

35-709

I would absolutely try the adjustment route first.  A leak and no backup lights (or occasional backup lights) is one sign of a NSS needing adjustment.  The procedure should be in your Cadillac Shop Manual, if you don't have a manual, they are readily available on eBay.

Edit:   Believe Cadillac Tim rebuilds these.  The tabs do indeed break easily when you try to take one apart.  If not when taking apart, then when putting it back together.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

klinebau

I reviewed the service manual and there really is not much detail about the process of adjusting the switch.  In any case, I disconnected the battery, chocked the wheels, and put the selector in neutral.  Then I removed the switch.

The switch really was easy to remove and it was immediately apparent that it was already adjusted correctly since the shear pin holes lined up perfectly.  The switch was just plain tired. 

I proceeded to disassemble the switch.  I very carefully straightened the two tabs on the front of the switch (the side with the contacts) and was able to remove the top half withe the electrical contacts.  I realized that that I was only half completed with the disassembly since it did not expose the vacuum part (back) of the switch.  For this, I had to undo the 5 or six crimped sections.  I was able to do this with a small screwdriver, but I did had to grind some of them out using a dremel.

With the all of the parts exposed, I was then able to clean everything and bend the spring so that it put additional pressure on the vacuum slider.  I then applied a little vacuum grease and reassembled the back section.  I re-crimped the back using a large pair of channel lock pliers.  I then applied some dieletric grease to the top half of the switch and reassembled that section.  After re-bending the tabs, the top section fit much tighter than before and I am guessing the loose fit was the cause for the reverse light problem I mentioned above.

I now have a working switch that holds vacuum in park with reverse lights that consistent work-- a successful repair.  I am attaching some pictures to help anyone who attempts this in the future.

Detroit, MI

cadillacmike68

Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

35-709