News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Dummy of the week Optima battery installation question....

Started by z3skybolt, June 05, 2018, 06:56:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

z3skybolt

My 6 volt "John Deere" battery with 820 amps of cranking power, died after just over one year of use despite being kept on a battery tender.  For better or worse I have ordered two 6 volt Optima batteries which I will wire in parallel. I know several of you have done this and it is pretty straight forward. My question is this...

.....given that I will have to attach cables  to the terminals in parallel...will there still be room for my normal battery clamps to attach to the terminals?  Or will I have to find some kind of "thin" connector cable clamps to leave room. Perhaps there are ready made connectors with some kind of additional "terminal" for connecting to the vehicle battery clamps. I don't want to change the heavy clamps and cables already in the car.

Also I have read that the Optima AGM batteries are to be kept peaked up at all times with a quality "maintainer" as opposed to a "tender".  What is the difference and what do you guys recommend?

Thanks for the continuing education. My LaSalle appreciates it.

Bob
1940 LaSalle 5227 Coupe(purchased May 2016)
1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series. Bought New.

Steve Passmore

Also I have read that the Optima AGM batteries are to be kept peaked up at all times with a quality "maintainer" as opposed to a "tender".  What is the difference and what do you guys recommend?

Thanks for the continuing education. My LaSalle appreciates it.

Bob
[/quote]

Don't think there is any difference. The difference is between a 'Charger' and 'Maintainer/Tender'
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

Dan LeBlanc

I used a Battery Tender on the battery in my 61.  Three years and no issues before I sold the car.  I did, however, make sure to get a battery tender that was listed for use with AGM batteries as that what was inside the case of the reproduction battery.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Daddio

I recently had a concern that my 2 stage 'Battery Tender' unit wasn't maintaining my repop style battery (which has a VERY small AGM battery inside), so I asked the manufacturer, Deltran, directly.
They responded that as long as my unit has the 4 step processor with an absorption stage, it was perfect for an AGM battery (as well as lead/acid and gel). It turns out it does, even though it's nearly 10 years old.
My repop battery lasted about 10 years, which is all you can expect I guess.
Mike

1956 Thunderbird
SOLD - 1959 Eldorado Biarritz

Bill Ingler #7799

Below picture is the battery minder I use on the 6 volt Optima battery on my 47. No problem in the last six years with keeping the Optima up to full charge. Always keep the input to the battery low, 1 amp input with this type tender/minder.  Bill

Jerome506237DX

This is how my 2 Optima batteries are installed. I used the thickest wire I could get, then 2 double clamps accordingly. It isn't the prettiest work, but for now it will do.

Jérôme
1950 Coupe de Ville
1956 Oldsmobile Super 88

z3skybolt

Thanks Jerome, Bill and all,

Just what I was looking for. Both the "tender/minder/charger and a picture of the battery hook up. I will use your suggestions.

Bob
1940 LaSalle 5227 Coupe(purchased May 2016)
1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series. Bought New.