News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Update: What did you see at the GN? Car pics now attached

Started by chrisntam, June 06, 2018, 04:54:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisntam

I'll go first.

I strongly suggest you avoid the scrambled eggs on the breakfast buffet, getting an omelette or egg cooked to order is so much better.

We did the driving tour that took us in the Texas Hill Country, by the Guadalupe River and to Gruene, TX for lunch.  I'd say about 25 cars, oldest was a '40, a few '60s, '70s, '80s, '90s & newer.   A good time had by all and afaik, no breakdowns!!  We ended up at a classic car dealer, no Cadillacs, lots of Camaros, Chevelles, Fords etc and, they had water for us.  It was hot, about 100*  Only two cars w/ the tops down, my '70 and a '76 Eldo.  Pics to be posted after a while...
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

chrisntam

A few selected pics from today's successful drive...
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

chrisntam

Today, we got on the tour bus and went to the Commemorative Air Force hanger, saw a C-47 that took part in the D-Day invasion and a few other planes.

Then onto Canyon Lake in San Marcos for the glass bottom boat tour. The lake is fed by underground water.  You could see it bubbling up from the bottom.  Another fun fact is the lake is atop a fault line, on one side of the lake is really flat land, on the other side is the beginning of Texas' "hill country".  Kinda cool.

We then went to Dicks Classic Cars,  a Stanley Steamer, a '31 dual cowl phaeton V-16 and a '48 Tucker.  Cool thing here was they would let you sit in the cars.  The owner of the museum, recently deceased, wanted them to be shared with all who came.

A good time had by all.

chris.
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

chrisntam

and some more car pics...

CLC member Doug Ashby (blue shirt) along w/ me (pink shirt) in the Tucker.  Two others were in the '31, didn't get their names...

The '57 vert was "in the back" for some unknown reason.

chris.
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

chrisntam

And a few cars outside our hotel room window...

and I'm on the bad side.   >:(
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

acedriale

Thank you for sharing the pics so those of us stuck back home can live vicariously through your adventures.  Please keep 'em coming!
Alex
A. Edrington

'55 Eldorado

Bill Hedge CLC 14424

Nice report and pictures!  I went on the Toyota tour.  Unfortunately, Toyota had a very strict policy prohibiting cameras, smart phones etc on the tour - let alone taking pictures!

chrisntam

You know what they say....no pics?  Didn't happen!

;)

Wow, bummer.  Does Toyota have secretive way of manufacturing?  That is surprising and disappointing.  We almost did the tour, but unfortunately, did not.  Looking back, I would have enjoyed seeing the process.

I'll say this, those who planned this GN (my first) did an outstanding job of putting together the tours.  Much like a (ship) cruise, you can do as much or as little as you want!
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Glen

Quote from: chrisntam on June 07, 2018, 09:22:30 PM

Wow, bummer.  Does Toyota have secretive way of manufacturing?  That is surprising and disappointing. 

I have been to several assembly plants with CLC GN tours.  Every one prohibited cameras.  So Toyota is no different.     
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

chrisntam

Quote from: Glen on June 08, 2018, 03:44:02 AM
I have been to several assembly plants with CLC GN tours.  Every one prohibited cameras.  So Toyota is no different.   

I did not know that. 

I've seen news reports with video inside of factories and documentaries w/ video.  Wonder why the no pic policy?
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Rich S

Thanks for sharing your fine pictures and experiences! It seems as if the 2018 GN has been quite well organized and it is providing an interesting array of events!  :)
Rich Sullivan CLC #11473

1971 Eldo Conv., 2013 CTS Cpe

Series75

Look, the people, events are a big part of the Grand National and it's been great.  But I've seen as many new XT5's in the host hotel parking lot as I've seen interesting show cars.....and it's 7 pm on Friday night.   Ok wait until Saturday.  High hopes. 

Series75

Series75

I'll post the pic on Facebook CLC page, this site wont upload them

chrisntam

Today, was a day of rest.  Went to the nearby outlet mall (twice & we still need to go back, ugh!) and took in a couple of Greg Surfas led seminars. 

Also got the '70 parked in the show field, not to be judged, display only.  Got the car's picture taken at the Self Starter photo booth, oooh, it looked good.

First seminar was air conditioning related - my takeaway is follow the factory service manual!  It won't steer you wrong.

Second seminar was high performance Cadillac related discussion, led (on the fly) by Greg.  Great job Greg of leading the discussion.  Still ready for that Self Starter write up of your 5000 pound 12 second quarter miler!

No pics today, we all know what an outlet mall looks like and we've all been to seminars, but these seminars were actually interesting.

Thanks to Greg for his part in getting these put together.  And Barbara, well, Greg, I'll say you're blessed to have her in your life!   8)
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Thanks. Cris and thanks to all that attended to your patience understanding an the interest you all showed in the subjects. It was good to meet you all and be able
To put a face with your on line names. Hope to see you all at future GNs  if you ever plan on coming to San Antonio please let me know and perhaps we ca. Get together.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

chrisntam

Today was the "Show".  Oldest car there was a '14, there was a V12 in attendance, but as far as I'm concerned, the '34 LaSalle Coupe stole the show.   Oh my.  In fact, it did win Best of Show.

Lots of water and sunscreen, it was hot.

The awards dinner was a bit late starting, but finished early. 

Pics to follow, when I get home tomorrow.

Forgot to mention there was a '53 eldo, all original (except one repaint a looonnng time ago).  It wore it's patina well.  It had been well loved, in need of a pricy restoration, but it looked very cool as it was.  It was formerly owned by musician Hank Snow.

Met a lot of neat people, got to put faces with posts and hope to continue new relationships in Louisville.

It was our first GN, the yearly fun will continue.

All I need now is 250 more trouble free miles to get home, is that too much to ask?  Nah.....
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

chrisntam

Pics of the Best of Show car...

Cool styling, suicide doors, rumble seat, scoops on the engine cowling.  It screamed Art Deco.  Aaaaaaaahhhhhhh.  Mmmmmmmmmm.

The next car is a '53 eldo...  You can't recreate that.
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

chrisntam

More pics...
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas