News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Oil leak 1969

Started by Dulcidog2, June 06, 2018, 06:34:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dulcidog2

Each time I park it I notice a spot on my driveway, sometimes drips showing where I backed it out of garage, I know it can be a lot of things but where to start? Best case/worst case. Any thoughts appreciated
Bill 14869

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

First be sure it is oil and not trans fluid or coolant. Then see if you can determine if it is coming from the front or rear if the engine. That is easier said then done because a little bit of oil goes a long way and it gets blown back. Check your oil filter itself and the area around it because the pump is externally mounted. Then check all around your valve covers. Now you are going to be tempted to tighten them because "tighter is better" The answer to that is no. Just snuggen them if you don't have a torque wrench. Look at the oil sending unit which is dead center top of the engine behind the manifold. It is easy to forget about the sending unit. Then look where the fuel pump is mounted which is driver side front down low. If still no luck then let it leak ;) because it gets a little more difficult from there.
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

chrisntam

On my '70, my valve covers leak ever so slightly and it doesn't appear up high.  The leak shows up on the back of the oil pan.

Common areas are oil pan, valve covers, oil sender.  Look around the oil pump, fuel pump and back and front of the intake manifold.

If your engine is overly oil and dirty, you may have to clean it first to find the leak.

Until you find the leak, get a drip pan or cardboard to put under the car so you don't soil your concrete...
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

klinebau

I had many leaks in my '70 when I bought.  These are all the ones I fixed.  In addition to the ones already mentioned , other common leak areas are rear main seal, timing cover, crank seal.

• Steering gear
  • Rocker arm (valve) covers
  • Intake Manifold
  • Oil drain bolt (was missing a crush gasket
  • Even the ignition coil was leaking its oil (although that never made its way to the ground)
1970 Cadillac Deville Convertible
Detroit, MI