News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

73 eldorado leak

Started by kkkaiser, June 07, 2018, 08:41:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kkkaiser

Hi All,

i finally got the  red 73 convert polished up and out for a ride yesterday after a winter of sitting up and some oxidation.  Everything was fine.  This a.m. i went out and a large leak was under the front end. 2 foot by 4 feet in the gravel.  i opened up the hood and the first radiator part,, not the one that the anti free goes into,but the very front one seems to be leaking from under neath, i stuck y hand under it and it was just dripping wet.  it has no smell or slick feeling to the touch like antifreeze just felt and smelled like water.  and i checked the radiator, thinking it would be low, but it was fine,,

which part would this be, the large finned piece in front of the radiator......and if it is leaking, is that indication of a replacement or something more serious.

Sincerely

35-709

That is your AC condenser, it does not contain water. 
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

76 cadillac bob

Since we are on this topic, my 1976 eldo AC condenser does not drip water when I use it. It is blowing cold air but no drip? Is this ok?
Cadillac bob

35-709

The condenser doesn't drip water, the evaporator does.  If you are not getting any water when the AC is on, find and clear out the drain hose from the evaporator.  Not uncommon for the hose to get plugged up by mud daubers or accumulated dirt and algae or get something across the hole where the drain hose is attached.  It will get odoriferous in time.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

kkkaiser

ok,,, i had hoped this thread would disappear,

it was areal forrest gump moment,
i noticed all that water under the radiator, condenser at about 7 am.  while leaning over the radiator, looking for leaks, back of my leg kept getting wet.  but , i saw no water leaking,, nothing,, totally confounded.. so , i posted my question.

next day, noticed the the water leak,, i was embarrassed to to ask the question again, so i left and came back later, WELLLLL,, i had one of those retractable hoses that i had been washing the car with and watering a couple plants on the lowest  spray setting, basically, a mist,   you couldnt see it or only feel it if you stood there a while..

that little bit of tiny mist, was hitting the front of the grill, and going in to the radiator condenser area, and looked just like a leak,, and i was completely embarrassed,,
so again, hoping that his thread would go away, i jut left it, but now that it has a couple of replies, i thought i better explain what my final out come is,,   car is running fine,, no leaks, just my stupidity,,

chrisntam

Glad you got it figured out, any fluid loss from a car is troublesome.

You can delete your posts, not sure if you can delete the entire thread though.

It'll go away if people (me) quit posting replies!   ;)

1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

If you EVER for a minute think you posted something stupid the just search my posts. I have done some doozies. So don't worry about it. That's how we all learn.
I appreciate this forum so much I can't even express it. We got my son a little 95 Accord as a daily. Having a few issues with it and I posted ?'s on the Honda forms. Basically no real responses.
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille