News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

90-92 Brougham wheels

Started by JerRita, June 11, 2018, 09:06:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JerRita

I just put new tires on our 91 Brougham and the wheels had the holes all egged out. I was told that the 90-92 Broughams used metric sized studs that are slightly smaller than the older wheels. What other wheels can I get for the car? Are they the same metric size through 96 and can I use other GM rear wheel drive wheels? Frustrated Thanks JeRita
Jerry and Rita Trapani #15725 Caddymaniacs

cadillacmike68

Quote from: JerRita on June 11, 2018, 09:06:56 PM
I just put new tires on our 91 Brougham and the wheels had the holes all egged out. I was told that the 90-92 Broughams used metric sized studs that are slightly smaller than the older wheels. What other wheels can I get for the car? Are they the same metric size through 96 and can I use other GM rear wheel drive wheels? Frustrated Thanks JeRita

It's STILL a 5" bolt circle. You can put on wheels from as far back as the mid 50s all the way through the 1996 Fleetwood Brougham chrome wheels. You just need the proper threaded wheel lug nuts.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

JerRita

Thanks Mike I found out that in 91 GM changed from 1/2" studs to 12mm studs The holes on the older wheels will fit but are too big and over time they shifted, egging the holes I have the correct metric lugs I found out from a junkyard All GM RWD wheels from 91 to 96 will fit Jerry and Rita

cadillacmike68

Quote from: JerRita on June 13, 2018, 09:07:39 PM
Thanks Mike I found out that in 91 GM changed from 1/2" studs to 12mm studs The holes on the older wheels will fit but are too big and over time they shifted, egging the holes I have the correct metric lugs I found out from a junkyard All GM RWD wheels from 91 to 96 will fit Jerry and Rita

OK, so 1991 was the year they changed. Right in the middle of the last Brougham run.

Those wheels should NEVER have shifted. Think about it. The diameter of the bolt circle is the SAME. If the lug nuts were not worn and were tightened correctly there should not be a problem.

When I mount a wheel, metric on metric, metric on SAE, SAE on metric or SAE on SAE, I can wiggle ALL these combinations.

The lug nuts will help center the wheel on the bolt circle, but not if they are worn or not correctly tightened.

Rockauto, and probably many others have new steel wheels available. And there IS a difference with 1990 and earlier than from 1991 and later. If you want the real wire wheels - those are HARD TO FIND.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

JerRita

Thanks all I found a set of steel wheels from a Caprice with the right holes Measured them with a caliper and they are slightly smaller

cadillacmike68

I think those are n the interchange list, since the caprice never went to FWD. As long as they are for 1991 and later.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike