News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Diamond back Tires for 1969 Conv.

Started by caddybill, June 14, 2018, 07:55:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

caddybill

Does anyone have experience with Diamond Back tires? I am looking at the " CADILLAC SPECIALTY WALL DESIGNS" for my 69.
Bill Bitel
1969 Deville Conv.
1969 Calais Sedan

35-709

Several people here do.  I have them on 2 of my cars and am very happy with them.  You can get any width WW you want on most any brand, I use Michelins.  The "CADILLAC SPECIALTY WALL DESIGNS" are probably on one particular brand of tire but you might call and ask. 
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

76eldo

I have them on my 70 DeVille.  Fantastic ride.  Actually I think the sizes of the whitewalls are a little off as compared to an original spare I have.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

D.Smith

No troubles with them at all.

Yes they do offer dual stripes ready to go.    But because Cadillac used several different tire vendors when new, there are a few variations in stripe width.     My 68 Eldorado still had its original spare, so I pulled it out, took some photos and measurements and Diamondback made exact duplicates.  Same price as the off the shelf ones.   

robert G. smits

I have had them on the 41 for 10 years and the 58 for 8 years.  Very satisfied.  Bob Smits
R. Smits, #2426
23 Cad 7P Touring
32 Cad 5P Coupe
38 Cad 90 Series
41 Cad 63 Series
58 Cad Eldo Barritz
The average man can take care of one Woman and two Cadillacs, Al Edmond AACA Past President

Mike Baillargeon #15848

I have Diamondback tires on 2 cars, a 1966 & 1968 Fleetwood....great tires and look like they should also.

Here is their catalog, on page 34 you can find the right white wall for your 1960s-1970s Cadillac.

It looks like they carry a couple of different brands of tire also for these years.

https://dbtires.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/2017_Catalog_Hi.pdf

Mike
Mike
Baillargeon

cadillacmike68

And it's even T rated for sustained speeds up to 118!
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Have those on my car, fabulous.
\m/
Laurie
There are 2 kinds of cars in the world, Cadillac and everything else....

The Present -1970 Fleetwood Brougham

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1987 Sedan De Ville "Commonwealth Edition"
1981 Coupe De Ville (8-6-4)
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Daily Driver and work slave -
2008 GMC Acadia SLT *options/all

David Greenburg

I have DBs on both of my cars; www radials on the ’60, and the new Auburn “bias ply look” radials on the ‘61.  I’ve been very happy with both.  Good tires and good people to deal with.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

Scot Minesinger

Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

caddybill

Thanks for all the reply's. The picture were exactly what I was looking for.
1969 Deville Conv.
1969 Calais Sedan

jaxops

I have 4 on my 1956 and they have held up very well.  The car rides well on these.  They, and others now have one that looks bias ply and is actually a radial steel-belted tire. 
1970 Buick Electra Convertible
1956 Cadillac Series 75 Limousine
1949 Cadillac Series 75 Imperial Limousine
1979 Lincoln Continental
AACA, Cadillac-LaSalle Club #24591, ASWOA

nysdarkblue

I have DB's on my 90 Brougham for 1 year now. Drove to Mclean and San Marcos this year with no problems. They copied the original tire, Uniroyal Royal Seals. Just made a mistake with the gold stripe, a little larger than the original. Other than that, good tires.
Bill Estes
1990 Cadillac Brougham
2008 Cadillac DTS
2015 SRX

cadillacmike68

Scot, what is the size of the main WW stripe on your tires? I like that size combo.

I think for a 60s car the DB branded Auburn would be the best way to go, but for my 1996 Fleetwood I would like a smooth running H rated Michelin (those or Goodyear Eagle GAs were OE), if Michelin even makes a car tire anymore in 235-70-15. Most of the tires in that size are mid suvs or lt trucks. Not the same ride quality. I think that DB offers a BFG Radial TA, but again, that's more of a performance tire. I'll call them when I'm ready. I used the Fleetwood a Lot these past 5 months, and the tires will need replacing sooner rather than later.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: cadillacmike68 on July 04, 2018, 08:53:13 PM
Scot, what is the size of the main WW stripe on your tires? I like that size combo.

I think for a 60s car the DB branded Auburn would be the best way to go, but for my 1996 Fleetwood I would like a smooth running H rated Michelin (those or Goodyear Eagle GAs were OE), if Michelin even makes a car tire anymore in 235-70-15. Most of the tires in that size are mid suvs or lt trucks. Not the same ride quality. I think that DB offers a BFG Radial TA, but again, that's more of a performance tire. I'll call them when I'm ready. I used the Fleetwood a Lot these past 5 months, and the tires will need replacing sooner rather than later.

Just did a search on Michelin's site, only 235/75/15

\m/
Laurie

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

cadillacmike68

Thanks Laurie, I'll have to research the DB offering in 235-70-15. There is a BFG Radial TA and I think he mentioned a Toyo  model. As long as it has a good 7/8 or better WSW, rides smooth and quiet,  and doesn't wear out in 6 months. That last one is, of course, an exaggeration.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Dan LeBlanc

The DB tires on my 70 are Toyo based.  I put about 4500mi on since I got the car in the fall of 2016 and they were on it when I got it.  No discernible wear to date, although I don't know how long they were on the car before I bought it.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Cape Cod Fleetwood

I was thoroughly briefed here when I was buying the Diamond Backs to get the Toyo ones.
Didn't ask why, just said thank you.
\m/
Laurie

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

D.Smith

When I ordered my Diamondback tires for my 68 Cadillac they offered to make them on one of two tire brands as a base.  One was the TOYO.  The other I don't recall.   But at the time the TOYO was the better tire in comparison that I remember.     Plus as they pointed out, NO brand name will be visible when they vulcanize the sidewall in the process to add the white wall.  So the brand you choose is more about your preference of quality not a visual concern.    While I am a Michelin guy I also know many people like the TOYO brand and have not heard anything bad about them.   So when the Michelins were not offered the TOYOs seemed ok.      I did not have any trouble with them.

cadillacmike68

I don't have a problem with Toyo tires. I have used Yokos, Kuhmos, etc. And yes for the 1969 or 70, the brand will be wiped from the sidewall.

For the 1996, there are fewer choices, because that car takes 235-70-15 size tires which was only used on cars for 4 years and only on Fleetwoods and Roadmasters.

Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike