News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1948 Power Hydraulics - Share any knowledge

Started by BJM, June 14, 2018, 06:58:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BJM

I am considering purchase of a 1948 Fleetwood. It has power windows and a front seat.  At least two of the door panels are off to work on the hydraulic windows. I assume all of the power hydraulics are bad and need rebuilt.

I know nothing about hydraulic power windows and seats.  I would like to know if these systems are rebuildable by average Joe's like me or not?  Are parts available? 

Anyone who has knowledge to share or can direct me to someone who does, please advise!  Thanks

Bryan Moran 

35-709

You need to get up close and friendly with these folks ---
http://www.hydroe.com/

They can sell you the parts to rebuild and have the expertise, or can do it for you.  The big dogs when it comes to hydraulic windows and convertible tops. 
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Paul Phillips

Bryan
These are repairable, though it can be a bit messy, expensive and certainly risky if you don’t use care and good mechanical sense.  Fundamentally, the hydraulic pump on the firewall (looks a lot like a starter motor) uses hydraulic pressure to overcome mechanical resistance/energy in the form of springs.  The windows or seat move one direction because of hydraulics and the opposite direction due to the potential energy in the springs. The pump, cylinders & solenoid valves are available as parts.  Hydro E Lectric in FL is your go-to source for those parts.  The electrical switches are fussy, and there are multiple vendors with rebuild kits or replacements.  There was a good article in the Self Starter a couple years ago on rebuilding switches.  The hydraulic lines & fittings can also be problematic.  Hard lines can fracture due to years of vibration, possibly also due to corrosion.  The flex lines are not much different than brake flex lines, and can fail as well. Sometimes a line failure can put lots of fluid in the interior, saturating the carpet & padding.  The OE hydraulic fluid was brake fluid, now most are probably converted to run ATF.

Sorry if this was long winded.  The end result - the system can be worked on by those with moderate mechanical/electrical skills.  Parts are available but a bit pricey.  Leaks are messy.  Respect the energy stored in extended springs!

Good luck!

Paul
Paul Phillips CLC#27214
1941 60 Special (6019S)
1949 60 Special (6069X)
1937 Packard Super 8 Convertible Victoria
1910 Oakland Model 24 Runabout

Steve Strickland

This PDF has saved me countless hours chasing down issues. Print it, read it, memorize it, favorite it... or do like me and search for it every time you need it.

http://www.antiqueolds.org/PDF/hydro-electric.pdf

BJM

You guys are great. Although I believe it would still be a challenge, the parts and knowledge are not “unobtainium”.