News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Reposting, how to remove trunk lock on my 52 - needs a gasket

Started by papas52cad, June 15, 2018, 08:11:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

papas52cad

I am reposting to try again for help from anyone who has done this..
Thanks in advance

I want to install a needed exterior gasket on my trunk lock,
My question is how to access and remove the clip that holds the lock against the inside of trunk lid,
Shop manual says to just remove the 4 screws holding the cover over the latch mechanism. This seems to be the only way to grain access....and get the lock out
But Before removing this “cover” can anyone  jump in to offer any tips to assure proper reinstall...or is it as straight forward as just removing the 4 screws
Not sure if there is any chance of me Misaligning the latch which now works as it should .
Thank you
1952 Fleetwood

Roger Zimmermann

Unless the 1955 cars are different than 1956, why do you want to remove the trunk lock? Is the rubber strip not in the gutter from the body?
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

papas52cad

Hi roger
Thx for your reply
Urgently there is no gasket around the lock, seems painter may have just masked it and painted..maybe too hard to remove...it looks ok, but the gasket would be better..,
BUT I do not want to open a can of worms ...so that is the reason for asking here...

On my 57 Ford access to the lock inside the trunk was easy and I added a gasket without any issue, but on my 52, I cannot see it, and when I tried to remove the lock mexhanism with 4 bolts, it would not come out, seems the lock shaft ( that comes thru inside the trunk thru. SmLl hole) was holding it so I could not tilt it out.
Your comments are welcomed
Peter
1952 Fleetwood

Roger Zimmermann

Sorry, I had 1955 in mind. 1952 are different and I have no answer for you, sorry.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Glen

I have no idea if this picture is the same as your car, but this design is common with many cars of the era. 

The picture is for the 1958 and is “REPRESENTATIVE OF 1955 THRU 1957”.  When you take the cover off you can then slide the retainer to release the lock cylinder. The gasket should then be accessible.  With a new gasket just reverse the process. 

Again I don’t know if this is the way your car is set up, but I hope it will be a guide that helps you. 
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

papas52cad

Thx Glen for your post
Looks similar fir sure but I was unable to get the latch mechanism out after removing bolts, the shaft seemed to be holding it in place...
Seems it should be a simple remove assertive folks back in the day had to do Eplacements etc. It couldn’t be something that should take a long time...
I will proceed cautiously as I don’t need to screw up and have no trunk lock..
Enjoy your weekend
Peter
1952 Fleetwood