News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1955 Headlight Breaker

Started by 55 ledsled, June 15, 2018, 02:56:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

55 ledsled

Wondering where one can find the breaker that connects to my headlights and dash lights. All of the other lights work except my headlights and dash lights and I thought that I read somewhere that there was a breaker somewhere. If it is on the headlight switch, anyone know if the headlight switch can be removed from the outside? Otherwise I can't even see under the dash in that area. Any help would be great.
Thanks much!

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

The breaker is part of the headlight switch.  Have
a good look under the dash and you will see how to
reset it.  Look for the buttons on the switch body.

mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

Cadillac Jack 82

I had a similar problem with mine when I first bought it.  I had headlights but no dash lights.  I turned the dial back and forth when the headlights were on and the dash lights instantly kick on.  From what I gather the 55 light switch was an Achilles heel. 
Tim

CLC Member #30850

1959 Cadillac CDV "Shelley"
1964 Cadillac SDV "Rosalie"
1966 Oldsmobile Toronado "Sienna"

Past Cars

1937 LaSalle Cpe
1940 Chevrolet Cpe
1941 Ford 11Y
1954 Buick 48D
1955 Cadillac CDV
1955 Packard Clipper
1957 Cadillac Series 62
1962 VW Bug
1962 Dodge 880
1966 Mercury Montclair
1967 Buick Wildcat Convertible
1968 Chevy Chevelle SS
1968 Plymouth Barracuda
1977 Lincoln MKV

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

I'd have to look but I think if the parking lights work the headlights should.  Before you break your neck under the dash cycle your hi beam switch a few times. If no luck and the breaker is not blown then check for power at the hi beam switch.
Autronic eye?
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

55 ledsled

I have rear running lights but no headlights or dash lights. Yes, it does have the eye. I will see if there is power to the high beam switch and start there. The switch location looks to be pretty well blocked by the emergency brake handle. Is there a way to get to it from the outside? I see a little screw right above the switch...

J. Gomez

Adam,

There are two different paths for the headlights and for the dash lights on the headlight switch and they all share the same main +12V source.

Since you have the rear running lights when the switch is pull that would tell you there is +12V at the headlight switch.

The dash lights are control by the rheostat which 98% of the time the resistance wire brakes or the brass wiper that sweeps around is dirty or corroded. If you rotate the headlight switch to the full “on” position for the dash lights and the light still not working the issue would be one of the two.

Since you have the Autronic-Eye option one way to check for the +12V from the headlight switch is at the power relay. There should be a “light blue” wire at the “BAT” terminal on the power relay, this will be the +12V from the headlight switch once the switch is fully pulled, this wire would also extend from the terminal over to the amplifier.

If you have +12V at this terminal that tells you the headlight switch is ok, so your issue maybe on the power relay since it has the connections for the UB and LB over to the headlights. If you do not have the +12V then it could well be the headlight switch and/or the wire “light blue” between both.

If the ’55 EB handle is the same as on the ’56 there are two bolts under the dash which holds the bracket for the EB.

Good luck..!
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

55 ledsled

Awesome! I will get digging around on it once the outside temp goes down from 100 lol. I will let ya all know once I dig in.