News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1979 Deville Phaeton hood hinge question

Started by guyrobert, June 15, 2018, 07:20:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guyrobert

Hi All, I am getting really close on finishing up the restoration of my 79 Phaeton,
It is back from paint but the hood on the drivers side is sitting up at the cowl (maybe 3/4")
Does the hood hinge need to be replaced or can I just replace the spring and if so where would I look for one?
Thanks in advance
Robert
1979 Fleetwood Brougham d'Elegance
1979 Coupe De Ville Phaeton
1957 Eldorado Biarritz
Robert Simpson

35-709

It probably just needs to be adjusted further.  Greg Surfas posted the procedure here some time ago (ANOTHER post that should be archived somehow).  It kind of goes against what you might think should be done.  If he does not respond soon, I will post my remembrance of it.  You might try sending Greg a PM.  I cannot find it using the frustrating (for me) SEARCH function. 
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

guyrobert

Thanks I did the search but the link wasn't working....
I have it scheduled to go back to the body shop next Wednesday so any help before then would be much appreciated!
Will post pics when it's done
Thanks Robert
1979 Fleetwood Brougham d'Elegance
1979 Coupe De Ville Phaeton
1957 Eldorado Biarritz
Robert Simpson

V63

Be mindful that 1979 offered an aluminum hood...I want to say it was standard on fleetwood and California models.  It utilizes a significantly weaker spring.

That aside, often when a hood stands up in back...and it’s not a worn assembly, the hinge assembly needs to be raised,  not lowered. It’s the full leverage action that causes the hinge to lower.