News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

69 Fleetwood "Engine Temp" Light Stays On

Started by RC Bizz, June 18, 2018, 02:33:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RC Bizz

The engine temp light in my 69 Fleetwood came on and stayed on a couple years ago, and I'm finally getting around to looking at it. The light stays on even when the car isn't running, so I need to disconnect the battery or it will drain while the car is off.

Wondering if anyone has any recommendations for where to start looking. I've seen a few forums posts through Google searching that mention a bad sensor, bad wiring, or bad fuses, but the posts were a number of years old and I never saw if the issue was fixed in any of them. Any guidance would be appreciated.
Ryan

'69 Fleetwood Sixty Special

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Need to replace the engine temp sensor (switch).
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

RC Bizz

Would that be the sensor on the driver side rear engine block that I am seeing people discuss?
Ryan

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Ryan
Good possibility of a grounded wire. Eather at the sensor or in the harness.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

76eldo

Can it be a key switch issue? Does your key-in buzzer work when the drivers door is opened ?  Temp light also comes on with key in and drivers door open.
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

cadillacmike68

Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Squirt some sort of lube in the ignition switch and then put the key in/out several times to see if that cures the problem. The switch probably thinks the key is in it.
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

Glen

Attached is the circuit diagram. 
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

bcroe

According to the drawing Glen provided, the warning buzzer will sound
any time the ENGINE TEMP TELL TALE light is on.  The key switch will
not do anything with the door closed, probably not the issue. 

Certainly I would start by unplugging engine sensors to see if one
will turn the light off.  Given that the symptoms don't match up
(light and buzzer), I am wondering if there is another light and
sensor than those shown in this drawing.  Bruce Roe

Scot Minesinger

There are two warning light to high temp on the 69/70 Caddy, one is hot block, the other measures coolant.  The light illuminates when ground is made by the sensors.  The hot block one I think is in back, the coolant one is under compressor with green wire.  Both are one spade connectors.  With engine off and battery disconnected pull each spade connector off and measure with ohm meter if the sensor spade connector is shorted to ground, if so that is the problem, ground should only be made if it is too hot.  If both sensors are OK, then look at ignition issue with key buzzer.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Only the "stop engine temperature" lamp can remain illuminated with the ignition off; coolant temp, to my knowledge, cannot.

RC Bizz

Thanks for all the replies. To answer the earlier question, the key-in buzzer does work, but only when the key is put in the ignition, as I would think it should.

Could anyone describe a rough location of where the engine temp sensor is located? I have heard driver side near the back of the block but haven't seen any diagrams or anything to get an idea of where I'm looking.
Ryan

klinebau

Back left side (drivers side) of the engine, by cylinder #8.  Behind the rocker arm cover.  There may be a single green line running to it.
1970 Cadillac Deville Convertible
Detroit, MI

Quote from: RC Bizz on June 20, 2018, 08:21:35 AM
Thanks for all the replies. To answer the earlier question, the key-in buzzer does work, but only when the key is put in the ignition, as I would think it should.

As far as I'm aware, the buzzer and Temperature lamp always operate together. Maybe it's different in 1969...