News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1939 LaSalle 5019 Parts Inquiry

Started by 39LaSalleDriver, June 21, 2018, 12:34:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

39LaSalleDriver

As my restoration plods along various things pop up from time to time that I need to address. Items which are not mentioned in the authenticity manual, nor can I find anything about them via searches, or going through my other sources (at least that I can tell). A good example of this was the topic of trunk hinges which I think we got solved a few days ago via some helpful and knowledgeable folks on this very forum.

One of my goals is to make this car as watertight as is feasible. I don't WANT to be out in the rain any more than I have to, but sometimes things happen. My car has had some small degree of leak damage before and I have been going through things to stop and minimize that. I've installed a new cowl vent gasket and drain tube, gaskets on wiper transmissions, and will be installing new belt strips and window channels. I've put some silicone sealant around the windshield gasket for the time being until I get around to redoing all the windshield glass. Door and trunk weatherstripping is in good shape (has been replaced in recent years, though not with the "proper" type).

Something I have noticed though, is that Steele offers a gasket for the door locks, and a "door handle ferrule" which has a chrome ring with a rubber bushing of sorts (see attached photos). About the first thing I did when I bought the car was purchased a new set of matching door locks and ignition lock cylinder. The ones I had either didn't work or were mismatched, and at the time I didn't put in these items from Steele as I didn't know about them.

My question would be, are these items that "should" be on the car? It seems to me that they are a good idea, but I can't document them being on the car via photos from manuals or even from somebody else's car. I'm also thinking the door handle ferrule would go a ways to taking up the minor slop and gap I have in my door handles.

On an unrelated note...does anyone know what type of fixture should be present with the glove box light? I have a standard bayonet socket on my harness, and the glove box repro I bought has a knockout for the light, but I have no idea what the light should mount to or how it is mounted. Thanks,

Jon Isaacson

1939 LaSalle 5019