News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Electric Fuel Pump

Started by Virgil Perkins, June 23, 2018, 04:26:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Virgil Perkins

Seeking input regarding quality electric fuel pumps. I have had one on my '41 6019SF for over 10 years, never a problem but there is no name on it and I am not finding its receipt. Need to replace the 12 volt pump on my '55 Chevrolet that came from NAPA and would like to hear about who has had good experience with what brands. A friend with a '40 LaSalle had 3 bum pumps from NAPA and mine from these folks has less than 2,000 miles, so adios NAPA. Thanks in advance, VP
Virgil Perkins

C Gorgas

I have AirTex on my '41 and ave had no problems with it. I have a NAPA on my Studebaker and no problems. It may well be I have lucked out and received good pumps. Chet 25441

64\/54Cadillacking

I think the brand Facet is who makes Napa’s electric fuel pumps. Don’t blame Napa, they don’t actually make anything, blame their suppliers.

I heard Facet is a very good brand and all their pumps are made in the U.S.

I am actually thinking of getting one for my 64 pretty soon here and I’ll probably go with the Facet brand.

Airtex and Carter also make Napa fuel pumps, including stand alone Bosch brand and Delphi.
Currently Rides:
1964 Sedan Deville
1954 Cadillac Fleetwood 60 Special
1979 Lincoln Mark V Cartier Designer Series
2007 Lexus LS 460L (extended wheelbase edition)

Previous Rides:
1987 Brougham D' Elegance
1994 Fleetwood Bro
1972 Sedan Deville
1968 Coupe Deville
1961 Lincoln Continental
1993 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
1978 Lincoln Continental ( R.I.P.) 1978-2024 😞

walt chomosh #23510

Virgil,
  Any electric fuel pump MUST have a filter on the supply side to prevent debris from damaging the pump. This is a fundamental. I've had a NAPA pump on my 1955CDV for many years now and it was nothing but a cheap (USA made) pump.....walt...tulsa,ok

cadillacmike68

I've had good luck with an Airtex inline pump for a few yeas now.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Virgil Perkins

Thank to everyone for your input. I have filters with both pumps on my cars now and would never run without a filter. Will not be using a Carter, will check out whatever is possible regarding the other mentioned pumps. Also thinking about re-installing the mechanical pump on the Chevy as that setup is working well on the Cadillac.
Virgil Perkins

walt chomosh #23510

Steven,
  No one like to be broken down along the side of the road. I like having a redundant fuel supply system to compliment the mechanical system. Also, when a car sits for an extended time it's nice to throw a switch for instant starts. Then there's extreme summer heat which can lead to vapor lock. (I had a trunk full of groceries once and my Cadillac started but was barely running....I threw the electric fuel pump switch and instantly the motor smoothed out) ....walt....tulsa,ok

Tye_Cowan

Reworking the fuel system on my '53 solved my Vapor Lock issues here in Houston.  The mechanical worked fine until it heated up, and boiled the fuel.  The glass bowl looked cool too, but oh well.

When buying the Inline Electric, make sure it has low head pressure, or invest in the return line, with a pressure regulator to the Carb, or you may be replacing needle valve seats in the carb.

Wish I could help you on the brand I bought.

Best wishes
Tye Cowan
1953 Series 75

KenZ

I have had experience with vapor lock over the years and will admit that an electric fuel pump is nice to have, but since having the mech pump rebuilt I don't have to use the electric anymore.  There just in case for now.  Think some vapor lock cases maybe a symptom of a something in the fuel system not quite right.  Of course modern gas doesn't help either.  Plenty of info on this topic in the forum.               

cadillacmike68

Quote from: StevenTuck on June 25, 2018, 08:14:51 AM
I never understood the need for an electric fuel pump. I only have long starts because I don't drive it regularly. I might drive it twice a month. Once it initially starts, it starts every time thereafter. I have always felt the little quirks with our cars are what makes the experience of owning and driving a classic car. I recently heard, "In the past smart people drove dumb cars, today dumb people drive smart cars." Today's cars do everything for us without the driver having to think about the operation of the car or how we drive it...adaptive cruise control, out of lane warning, rear park assist, automatic parking and recently the automatic braking to prevent rear end collisions. I guess all this gives us time for our cell phones and texting which we shouldn't be doing in the first place. Let's enjoy the classic car experience and not look at it as "problems". Just my two cents.

Steve,

I don't have any vapor lock issues, etc, but after a week or more the fuel evaporates out of the too small QuadraJet float bowl and the pump has to suck it the entire length of the car. That's a lot of unnecessary wear on the starter, so 12 seconds with the electric pump and wa-la a quick start, after which I shut off the electric pump.

It's not needed or used the rest of the week.

Your car looked Very nice the other day.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike