News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Filling up using modern gas pumps

Started by gatech1956, June 25, 2018, 05:06:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

67_Eldo

The hip new thing in filling gas tanks these days is the capless fuel filler. Alas, since the vast majority of fuel-filler customers are driving cars less than 38 years old, no manufacturer is rushing to accommodate ancient Cadillacs.

Stant makes an InStant (ha ha) Fuel Cap that can be retrofitted to a few older non-West-Coast cars. You can look on Amazon or you can go directly to Stant.

http://www.stant.com/index.php/english/products/automotive-oem-products/fuel-delivery-closure-products/capless-refueling-system/

If your local auto-parts dealer would allow you to look at one in person, it may fit whatever you've got. Then, not only would the pump shut off correctly but you'd also never have to worry about losing a gas cap.

I'm not endorsing this: I pretty much know to put the pump handle into the Eldorado's filler tube, pull the handle, and wait for 30 minutes. But if one of you wants to experiment ...

67_Eldo

While I was thinking about this issue, I went to Advance Auto Parts and bought a Capless Gas Tank Funnel (from FloTool) for $2.

We'll see if the additional diameter of the funnel's top affects how the pump's shutoff mechanism works.

When I get my car back.

cadillacmike68

Jeez, folks, look at your fuel gauge and calculate how much the tank needs. You know your capacity - right? I hope so. Half of a 26 gallon tank is 13 gals.  1/4 tank needs 19 & 1/2 gal.

Do the math.

And wrap the towel around the base of the pump nozzle.

Putting in $10 only gets me about 1.1 gals of 110 octane.  :P
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

67_Eldo

Quote from: cadillacmike68 on July 09, 2018, 10:54:30 PM
Jeez, folks, look at your fuel gauge and calculate how much the tank needs.
Assuming you have a working, accurate gas gauge.

TJ Hopland

Curious to hear if that funnel thing makes a difference.  I suppose it depends on how many bends and twists there are.   Maybe it can narrow down and redirect the flow so it goes down easier?    When did they start doing the large filler vent lines running parallel to the filler?
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

gatech1956

Quote from: cadillacmike68 on July 09, 2018, 10:54:30 PM
Jeez, folks, look at your fuel gauge and calculate how much the tank needs. You know your capacity - right? I hope so. Half of a 26 gallon tank is 13 gals.  1/4 tank needs 19 & 1/2 gal.

Do the math.

And wrap the towel around the base of the pump nozzle.

Putting in $10 only gets me about 1.1 gals of 110 octane.  :P

I would if my fuel gauge wasn't out of whack. I think it might be something with the ground wire. For example, I tried filling the car with the key turned on to accessory. The needle went to 3/4 and then gas started splashing out.

cadillacmike68

But I thought all these cars were 100% authentic and in perfect working order?  :-X
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike