News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Replacing power steering seals on a 70's car

Started by TJ Hopland, June 25, 2018, 08:09:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TJ Hopland

I was evaluating this years leaks on the 73 and pretty much the entire power steering pump looks wet as well as both shafts on the steering box itself.   Everything seems to be tight and working fine so I kinda hate to take the gamble on the quality of current replacements parts.   That makes me wonder how difficult is it to just replace the seals and what are my chances of being leak free when I am done?  I have the pullers and plenty of other tools just wondering if its worth the trouble or if I should swap em out.       

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Scot Minesinger

I just rebuilt a 65 PS pump and it is similar.  The rebuild kit is decent, except it often provides the wrong shaft seal size, so be prepared for that (check size before removal, do not damage existing, plan for a trip to NAPA, and etc.).  I got mine from Rock Auto for low cost.

I know what you mean about buying a replacement - they stink, and usually work but are very noisy.  I would rebuild one that works well but leaks rather than replace simply because replacements are often so bad.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

TJ,
I would not hesitate to use a high quality rebuilt (Cardone) pump, although the pump is easily resealed, but ive had a lot of grief with rebuilt steering boxes from Rock Auto who uses cardone and other good rebuilders.  After going through 3 "rebuilt" boxes the frame and alignment shop (very very good and conscientious) I use re-sealed the box themselves.  The owner has a billion years of experience on HD trucks and he comes from the day that shops did this work themselves.  You are gong to need a few special tools and if you follow the FSM procedures and don't try and rush it it not a monumental task.  A big issue is wear to the input and output shafts themselves, but you can only determine that after the box is apart.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-