News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

"1977 Cadillac Seville: GM's Smash Hit!"

Started by 67_Eldo, June 26, 2018, 04:20:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt CLC#18621

The first 2,000 75/76 Sevilles only came in silver with a standard vinyl roof due to a roof welding issue and neither a sunroof nor a moonroof was available.

Extremely sharp automobile.

Matt
CLC #18621

V63

Quote from: Matt CLC#18621 on June 26, 2018, 04:33:06 PM
The first 2,000 75/76 Sevilles only came in silver with a standard vinyl roof due to a roof welding issue and neither a sunroof nor a moonroof was available.

Extremely sharp automobile.

Matt
CLC #18621

👆This is trivia  I’ve never heard of??? 👆

Silver was indeed very popular thru 1979 but had the poorest finish longevity.

I’ve owned a few of these....and they are very well done cars, very comfortable and quiet. They sold well and could be seen decades later still on the road. They are heavy cars!

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

The explanation I got was slightly different.  The preparation of the roof panel for paint is more time consuming than the installation of a vinyl roof, therefore expediting the first 2,000 copies to be put on public display. 

I still recall seeing a 1976 Seville for the first time which was on display in the Detroit Airport.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

I recall when these first came out that they were not
very well received.  Clearly based on a Chevy Nova
with lots of "window dressing" added and a Cadillac
badge.

https://ateupwithmotor.com/model-histories/cadillac-seville/?cookie-state-change=1530064740326

That was then -- however looking at them today vs.
everything else out there, they aged well and are
a very nice representative of that era.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

Matt CLC#18621

Off-road Seville.
Matt
CLC #18621

Quote from: Mike Josephic  CLC #3877 on June 26, 2018, 10:00:08 PM
badge.

https://ateupwithmotor.com/model-histories/cadillac-seville/?cookie-state-change=1530064740326

That was then -- however looking at them today vs.
everything else out there, they aged well and are
a very nice representative of that era.

Mike

A number of half-truths and outright false claims in that article.

I've never been a big Seville fan but the only fair comparison to Nova is size. There is not one cosmetic part interchangeable between them; mechanical, perhaps a handful. Unlike with Phoenix, Omega and Skylark, in which there are innumerable. 

Author is also mistakenly under the impression that simulated trunk straps were part of the Elegante' option in 1980 - 1985. Typical of automotive journalists with clear anti-American/pro-European car biases.  ::)

D.Smith

Quote from: Mike Josephic  CLC #3877 on June 26, 2018, 10:00:08 PM
badge.

Mike

Not true!    They were very well received.   Dealers had back orders for them.     

Big Apple Caddy

Quote from: Matt CLC#18621 on June 26, 2018, 04:33:06 PM
Quote from: Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621 on June 26, 2018, 07:16:08 PM
The explanation I got was slightly different.  The preparation of the roof panel for paint is more time consuming than the installation of a vinyl roof, therefore expediting the first 2,000 copies to be put on public display.

One of the things Cadillac was saying back in April 1975, at least publically, was that they made the first 2,000 cars identical because it gave them the opportunity to "maximize a smooth, high quality production start-up and to fulfill the many requests for one of the first Sevilles produced."

Big Apple Caddy

Quote from: D.Smith on June 27, 2018, 08:58:43 AM

Well received in some regions but not so much in other regions. It was a mix.

Quote from: D.Smith on June 27, 2018, 08:58:43 AM

Absolutely correct.

67_Eldo

The late David E. Davis was one of very few automotive journalists (and probably the last) who, in my view, provided a fair assessment in reviewing Cadilllacs. He truly understood the product, its mission and what was important to its clientele.

67_Eldo

Davis was good.

But when I was a kid, I lived for Tom McCahill, even if Tom was a bit too crazy about Imperials. :-)

Big Apple Caddy

Quote from: Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621 on June 27, 2018, 10:22:04 AM
The late David E. Davis was one of very few automotive journalists (and probably the last) who, in my view, provided a fair assessment in reviewing Cadilllacs. He truly understood the product, its mission and what was important to its clientele.

I recall Davis being a big fan of the Cadillac Escalade, saying it was the best car he ever owned.

67_Eldo

Davis didn't seem overly impressed by the Seville -- in any of its manifestations -- when it came time to road test the diesel.

http://www.curbsideclassic.com/vintage-review/vintage-review-1979-cadillac-seville-diesel-puffing-and-chugging-to-deadly-sin-status/

D.Smith

"Runaway Sales"  "Outselling production"

76Caddy

I'm not home and don't have access to my "library" but several books I have say that in 1975 Cadillac had 1600 dealers and they wanted every dealer to get at least one before the "regular" 1976 models came out in late August so the public could get a look at the new small Cadillac.  They made 2000 in April and made them all same so line workers wouldn't have to switch back and forth on options.  Mine is one of the first 2000 (#1293) and except for a partial repaint is all original with 89250 miles.

Tim
Tim Plummer
CLC #18948
1967 Eldorado
1976 Brougham
1976 Seville
2019 XT5
1969 Chevy c/10 pickup
1971 Chevy Impala

Quote from: Big Apple Caddy on June 27, 2018, 11:34:58 AM
I recall Davis being a big fan of the Cadillac Escalade, saying it was the best car he ever owned.

I haven't any doubts about that whatsoever.

Big Apple Caddy

Quote from: D.Smith on June 27, 2018, 11:58:47 AM
"Runaway Sales"  "Outselling production"

Some places but not everywhere.  In an interview with then GM president Pete Estes in 1976, it was acknowledged that the Seville did "poorly" in many areas of the country following its initial May 1975 launch but it did well "where they wanted it to", in places like California where Mercedes-Benz models were particularly popular.

The Seville, at least early on, was twice as popular in California (as far as its portion of total Cadillac sales in the state) than the national average.

Basically, the Seville seemed to do well where smaller luxury cars like Mercedes, BMW, etc did well.