News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1955 Hood Install Issue

Started by 55 ledsled, June 26, 2018, 05:43:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

55 ledsled

As I near the end one of the last things that I need to do is put my hood back on. One thing I noticed is that without the hood on, the hood mount bar seems too far back without the weight of the hood to allow for the hood to be bolted on without the corners of the hood hitting the fenders. I would need to bring the hood hinge bar down somehow but can't seem to figure out a good way to do it. Just thought that I would check to see if there are any tricks out there anyone knows about?

The only thing I can think of is completely unbolding the fenders which seems pretty dumb. Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

I don't know if this video will work for you or not but the hinge mechanism articulates. If it doesn't work let me know  and I will email the video to you.
Jeff

Actually it didn't work. Pm me your email and I will send it to you.
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

5390john

On my '55, I had to unhook the bottom of the hood springs from the attachment point on the firewall. That allows the bar to move to a position that allows the hood to be attached and aligned. Reconnect the springs after mounting the hood.
The service manual details how to install/uninstall the springs.
John Adams
1955 CDV "Marilyn"

"Panic Accordingly"

55 ledsled

Hey thanks Jeff. I figured out how to get the hinges down. I drilled holes in some steel stock that I had, bolted it to both sides and was able to bring them down to work. I then was able to tie some rope from the hinge through the small holes that are there on the bar support, that look like thats what they are intended for. I am good to go! By the way your video did not work.
Thanks

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Good that you got it figured out. Sounds like it was quite a procedure. Hopefully I don't have to go thru it myself.
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille