News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Hagerty Collectible Cadillacs

Started by James Landi, June 27, 2018, 06:53:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

James Landi

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Must be April 1st in Hagerty world.  ::)
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Greg Powers

Unfortunately I have to agree with Haggerty on the 1971 through 1976 Cadillac DeVilles. Though I personally really like the 1971 models, these Cadillacs have not yet found a place in the heart of many collectors. I just hope that well preserved cars from this period are out there just waiting to come out of hiding when the market is right.
G.L. Powers>1954 Series 62 Sedan/1958 Fleetwood 60 Special-sold/1963 Series 62 Convertible-sold/1970 Fleetwood Brougham-sold/1994 Fleetwood Brougham/1971 Sedan Deville-sold/2000 Deville-sold/2001 DTS-sold/1976 Eldorado Convertible-sold/1983 Coupe Deville-sold/1990 Allante-sold/1990 and 1991 Brougham deElegance-sold/1992 Brougham-sold/Always looking!

INTMD8

Quote from: Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621 on June 27, 2018, 07:02:24 PM
Must be April 1st in Hagerty world.  ::)

Haha, true.

A few on the list sure, but 365 GTB, Pantera, NSX?, Countach?!!!.  The ship sailed on those years ago. 

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Quote from: INTMD8 on June 28, 2018, 08:13:10 AM
Haha, true.

A few on the list sure, but 365 GTB, Pantera, NSX?, Countach?!!!.  The ship sailed on those years ago.

59-66 Eldorado on the list is mainly what prompted my comment. I think they're underestimating a number of others as well.

I also think appreciation potential is as much a function of originality and condition as what the car is, perhaps even more in some cases.

Far too simplistic to just throw up a list of cars on the basis of some recent auction results. Sure the green  1973 Sedan deVille driver with 85,000 on the clock has gone sideways for the past 20 years and probably always will. But in all seriousness, would anybody in his right mind think the same hold true for a 1973 Coupe deVille, black, black and red leather with every option box checked including sunroof with 1,800 miles in "as new" condition top to bottom? I don' think so. And probably not even Hagerty.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

67_Eldo

James Landi

Eric is "so right on target" about condition, mileage, color options, and accessories.  When Cadillac was churning out tens of thousand of attractive, well engineered lux- cars a year, some of the "prestige value" is lost because they are not very rare.  An now, owning to the durable nature of these cars, many 50 year old models are still running well and available and therefore not very pricey . Additionally, if you park a well maintained  65 Fleetwood in a large parking lot, it still is modern, stylish, and to most folks, does not "stand out" as dramatically different among other modern cars. Some of the earlier Cadillacs WHERE unusually different.  When I was driving my '56 short deck sdv back in the early 70's, I would often receive comments and questions, especially when fueling up.  That tail light arrangement was just enough to engage folks who were unfamiliar with a car that at that time was only 20 years old.   When I was daily driving my 83 Eldorado (up until 3 years ago), I rarely received a question or comment, even when it was parked in a school lot every day-- it just was not considered by most colleagues and kids to be an old car.  Thus scarcity value, design, color, options  affect the "car collectors' prices."   

Lexi

James as usual you are dead on, as well as Eric. The cars from most the 60s on just don't 'stand out' as much as the earlier ones which are more vintage in appearance. Back at the same time James was receiving comments about his 20 year old '56 short deck, I also experienced the same with my '56 CDV. Even then these cars just looked ancient, though they were only 15 - 20 years old at the time. But today a 20 or 30 year old car (or more) just doesn't have 'the look'. That is, they just don't stand out like the old timers did. Clay/Lexi

Chuck Patton

Ladies & Gentlemen

Value is driven by two factors- Scarcity and demand.
Appraiser-Broker-Consultant
Past CLC National Board Director
Past CLCMRC Director
Past CLC Motor City Region President
CLC 1959-60 Cadillac Chapter Director
CLC Life Member #23147