News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1975 Eldorado odometer quit working

Started by dennisoates, July 05, 2018, 07:18:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dennisoates

When I disconnect cable at cruise control splitter , the needle moves when i spin the cable. When i turn the cable at the transmission the needle moves. How do i fix this ? thanks

The Tassie Devil(le)

Sounds like the internal odometer gear could be stripped.

If so, then major repair is in order.

I have repaired my own in  both a '60 and the '72, and this required the dash removal and using parts from a replacement speedo. 

I have pictures of the '72, but I notice that the dash cluster is narrower for the 75, but the guts could be the same.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Glen

If I understand you, the speedometer needle moves when you spin the cable at he transmission end.  If that is true, then your problem is with the connection at the transmission or with the governor itself.  You need to inspect the connection in the governor.  It may be rounded and the square cable just slips. 

How does the transmission work?  If it is OK then it is probably not the governor.

Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

dennisoates

60eldo

I have a 75 eldo Im parting out and speedo is there so if you need any help call me.
Jon. Klu