News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1949 Cadillac sedan

Started by ShannonT, July 07, 2018, 02:03:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShannonT

I have a chance to buy a 1949 Cadillac, not running. Body straight, and a spare one for parts. Could you all help me with a general or average price to pay.

Hilarius

This must be a joke!
Who'd buy a '49 sedan in this condition for any money?
Trying to restore this one is money down the drain.
If this is the car to buy I wonder what the spares car looks like.
My opinion: hands off by all means!
Hilarius.
Hilmar Schneider #26898
1930-162, "353", 4D-SDN-7P
1940-7567, 2D-CCP-2/4P
1948-7519X, 4D-SDN-5P
1952-6019X, 4D-SDN-5P
1973 Mercedes 107R, 2D-CCP-2P
2015 Cadillac SRX, 4D-SDN-5P

The Tassie Devil(le)

This vehicle would have to be very cheap but anything is possible to restore.

Depends on just how bad you want one.

I have started with worse.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Bobby B

Quote from: Hilarius on July 08, 2018, 12:44:42 AM
This must be a joke!
Who'd buy a '49 sedan in this condition for any money?
Trying to restore this one is money down the drain.
If this is the car to buy I wonder what the spares car looks like.
My opinion: hands off by all means!
Hilarius.

You Hit the Nail on the Head...Just go buy one, keep all that Extra $$$ in the bank, and enjoy it now! If you took it for Free, you'd be doing him a HUGE Favor. Be careful and do your Homework before you make a purchase of this nature. 40's Cars are Way down right now. I Know, I own one,  ::).........
                                    Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

Ken Perry

If you like it and it's not a lot of money and you want to work on it for your own plesure,get it. Your skill and want can not be judged by others,it's your choice. 49 Cads are cool cars and just becouse there are a few nice ones left that don't need any work doesnt mean this one needs kicked to te curb. Look at the 59 in my profile picture,one guy who went to look at it said it wouldn't be worth his time even if it was free. A 49 - 4 door Cad will never be the coolest Cadillac ,,,but i can easily be the coolest car in most parking lots and lots of fun. Check the prices in a 0ld Cars price guide. What ever you decide,like Steve always says (Have Fun) ... Ken Perry   
Cadillac Ken

benx13

I prefer four doors. This is a gorgeous car and in my opinion a lot nicer than a coupe deville of the later fifties, through the sixties and so on.
Big project.
I would do it.
1951 Series 62 - Under restoration

Bobby B

I don't know what people are thinking, but my days of cars in this condition are OVER! It's not a matter of taste, saving something from the scrap pile, opinions, etc, it's more of a matter of time and how you want to spend it. Personally, after owning over 125 vehicles and restoring more than my fair share of them, I would spend the money and start with the cleanest possible example I could find. Beg, Borrow, or Steal, if you have to. Been there, Done that, too many times.....Just my opinion.......
                   Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

Steve Passmore

I think it's an age thing, Bobby. When I was younger I restored 3 cars in much worse condition than this, (they were convertibles though) each one taking over 6 years while fitting it between my day job. Never gave a thought as to if I would be alive to see the finished project.  Now we much older guys have to assess just how long we have left. Me? I stopped about 8 years ago when I retired and decided what time I had left I wanted to spend driving and enjoying them. Damn glad I did that now :o
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

Steve Passmore

Flipped it for you Art. Great car.
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

savemy67

Hello Shannon,

The value of a dollar isn't what it used to be.  If this is the car you want - because you love '49s, and have the wherewithal to tackle a big project - then I would suggest a price of $500 or less for both cars.

In the photos I see missing parts and rust.  The car is low in the weeds so I don't know how well you can determine the extent of rust on the underside of the car.  You will need to tow both cars from where they are to your garage ($$$).  Do the cars have titles?  If not, then more $$$.

I know nothing about your situation (age, income, facilities, capabilities), so the only thing I would advise is that you be honest with yourself.  Do you have the wherewithal to take on this project, and will you enjoy the challenge?

I appreciate you seeking out this forum for advice.  There are many knowledgeable people here who are passionate about the hobby in general and their cars in particular - hence sometimes the brevity of opinion.

Whatever you decide, good luck with your endeavor.  If you do get the two '49s, we would love to see how your project progresses.  There is a restoration section on this forum.  Don't hesitate to use the forum as a resource, and welcome to it.

Respectfully submitted,

Christopher Winter
Christopher Winter
1967 Sedan DeVille hardtop

suchan

These are handsome cars, and I like the sedans as much as the coupes. It depends on what you want to do with it. If you live on acreage and/or have an extremely understanding spouse and just want something to putter with in your free time, offer them a couple hundred for the two. You need access to a truck and trailer, because transportation could easily exceed the purchase price of the cars otherwise. If you want a restored car eventually, then buy one now, or start saving for one. Sure, you can save some $$$ doing work yourself, but parts, chrome work, upholstery, etc. aren't cheap, and even the handiest enthusiast will end up underwater on a car like this.
Southworth, Washington
CLC #28060
1937 LaSalle 5019 Sedan
Cars that got away:
1930 Ford Model A Roadster and AA Flatbed
(2) 1938 Buick Sedans
1942 Chev Blackout Coupe
1953 Ford F100
1955 Ford Victoria
1956 Sedan DeVille
1962 Peugeot 403
1965 Peugeot 404
1971 Eldorado Convertible

Dan LeBlanc

I've seen and driven Art's 49.  It's simply majestic.  Drives well, engine runs like a well oiled machine.  The car is exceptional. 

If one is attracted to a 49 - sedan or 2 door, and you like to do what you do to make it a great car again, just go for it.

Last fall I bought a 77 Continental Town Car - for me it had to be a 77.  No 78's or 79's.  I wanted the thermometer style speedometer, the waterfall grille, 460 engine and fender skirts.  You could only get that in 77.  The 75/76 had everything else I was looking for except the nose looked like a Mercury Grand Marquis.  There are way more 75's, 76's, 78's and 79's out on the market but I wasn't settling.  Does it need work?  Yup?  Does the wife support my decision to buy it?  Yup.  Does she like it?  Nope, she thinks it's the ugliest car I've owned, but she'll still ride shotgun with me in it because she knows I like it.

Point is, you can always make more money, but you can't make more time.  I wanted a 77 Lincoln for a long time.  This one was in my price range, and I can do like Art did with his 49 - a little at a time as budget permits.  I have gone through more sand in my hourglass than I have left to go through.  So, I set aside financial considerations, and got the car I wanted.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Jay Friedman

There are enough '49 4-door sedans for sale in excellent condition for a reasonable cost--some almost as nice as Art's--so why go to all the trouble and expense to restore a car in questionable condition.  I would find one of those nice ones and, if needed, pay $500 or less for  this one as a parts car.  Keep in mind that about two-thirds of '49s built were sedans like this, so they are not hard to find and are not very expensive like convertibles, fastbacks and Coupe de Villes. 
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."