News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1960 Cadillac leave it or paint it?

Started by 60eldo, July 15, 2018, 09:53:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

60eldo

Wondering if I should paint this car or leave it alone,,,vote now
Jon. Klu

D.Smith

1962 Cadillac Series 62
1965 Pontiac Bonneville

Bobby B

Quote from: 60eldo on July 15, 2018, 09:53:44 AM
Wondering if I should paint this car or leave it alone?

Fix it AND Paint it......
                 Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

Carl Fielding

What is the condition of the rest of the car, chrome, rust (?), interior ? Show us detailed pics of seats, door panels, headliner, instrument panel, steering wheel, carpets. Are you capable of doing all the prep work and painting yourself ?  -  Carl

Carl Fielding

Another question  : Does this car have A/C ?  -  CC

60eldo

Car has A/C, heres some more pics
Jon. Klu

wrench

If it's a project, I would leave it and drive/fix the mechanicals to get it to drive the way you want it.

You can always paint it at some point along the way.

In my mind, paint is more than cosmetics when corrosion is a factor, so familiarize yourself with the car and how it operates and where the corrosion is a real issue and take steps to stabilize it until the car is ready for paint.

I don't do basket cases. (Affectionately known as frame offs) And I don't do rust buckets. Your car seems to be ok with some obvious rust issues, I would try to address those as soon as practical.

It is just my style. I inspect it, drive it, fix it, plan it and the go from there with cosmetics.
1951 Series 62 Sedan
1969 Eldorado
1970 Eldorado (Triple Black w/power roof)
1958 Apache 3/4 ton 4x4
2005 F250
2014 FLHP
2014 SRX

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Since I believe you are still "looking" for your Seville, if you have a Maaco that will work with you and let you inspect it before they put any paint on the car, let them do it. That way, the car is more attractive to both you and potential buyers. I had Maaco paint my wife's '79 and onlookers "can't believe it" when I tell them who resprayed it. This way, you won't have a "ton" in it and you'll have more funds available when you find "what you're really looking for."
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

60eldo

Im suprized when I got it a few days ago, runs great. I got all the windows PW working, heater, working, new tail pipes and Ive just been driving around, Oh Ya put a sterio in of course. I may just do a lite sand, and paint it myself just to make it a nice 25 footer, nothing fancy.
Jon. Klu

David Greenburg

I vote for painting it as long as you are also willing to deal with the rust, especially if you are able to paint it yourself, or have a painter who will work with your budget.  Since the rest of the car appears pretty decent, I think you’d be likely to get your investment back. OTOH, few things look worse than a one year old paint job where you can already see the rust bubbling up underneath. When you go to take the trim off, just be glad it’s not a Seville!
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

Scot Minesinger

Bottom line re-paint it

Fix all the mechanical systems 100%, then move to the cosmetics.  I see all the time, re-chroming, reupholstering, repainting and etc., before a needed engine rebuild, or heat and air fix.  The mechanical work can damage finishes, so why risk it.  Plus going over the car that intense you may find some latent required body work that require essential attention.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Barry M Wheeler #2189

David, if it were a Seville, we wouldn't be having this discussion...
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

60eldo

Driving on the highway today all is good was going 50MPH and one of my rear hub caps started to grind and went flying off into a farmers field. I stopped the car and went back. I found it. A little mangled but its just a 60 hub cap not my eldo hub cap thats on the front. Thank God.
Jon. Klu

Cape Cod Fleetwood

LOVE THIS CAR!

I don't know what I'm talking about, but Mike and Gary Amster do, as do so many on this forum, so I'll just parrot them...

Get it a safe driver first, all the mechanicals.
Then address the greatest threats to its body in order.
Its what I'm doing....

...love this car...

\m/
Laurie
There are 2 kinds of cars in the world, Cadillac and everything else....

The Present -1970 Fleetwood Brougham

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1987 Sedan De Ville "Commonwealth Edition"
1981 Coupe De Ville (8-6-4)
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Daily Driver and work slave -
2008 GMC Acadia SLT *options/all

cadillacmike68

I would say make it safe to drive and then paint it.

It's quite saveable now, but if you let it continue to rust. Well...
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

59-in-pieces

Johnny - Johnny - Johnny,

Like they say - mechanicals & safety first.

Do a quick and dirty paint job yourself if you're up to it - Ear Scheib-esque (paint the same color since they don't due door jams or under hood or inside the trunk - what can't be seen from the outside, at their cheapest price.
The paint now doesn't add to its saleability, if and when you find a Seville - you'll need more cash without new paint.

I like your style keeping ONE Eldo Cap (nice condition) on the driver's front - so you see it when you get in - a nostalgic reminder of the Seville days gone by.

Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

76eldo

If you do paint the car, which I whink you should, be aware that the removal and replacement of the quarter panel moldings on these cars is quite challenging.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

David Greenburg

. . . especially if any of the original fasteners are broken or break in the process (which they will).
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

67_Eldo

I would do something about the rust (once all the basic mechanical needs were met). If you could pull the trim, that would be great.

But even if you don't want to "pull" anything, I'd get some POR-15 or Rust Mort and do what you can to keep the rusty areas from getting worse.

Then I'd use some regular white primer to cover the treated areas because ultra-violet light will degrade the rust-inhibiting agents.