News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Had The Ark out today - too much anxiety...

Started by Cape Cod Fleetwood, July 16, 2018, 12:24:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cape Cod Fleetwood

A dear friend was in town from Dubai, she was taking a class at Cape Gun Works. Class was at noon so I met her at 0930 for breakfast, she wanted to see The Ark. Since Home Cheapo is right around the corner and I needed parts for an electrical job early tomorrow we went over there first. I parked The Ark so far away in the lot by itself we needed a cab to get to the store. Though only in the store for 5 minutes I was simply paranoid about the car. It was fine.

Then to IHOP for breakfast... I drove around that lot 3 times until I found a spot I was comfortable with. Then spent the entire breakfast meal worrying about the car. It was fine. Someone parked a brand new Beemer beside us, he knew we'd be careful, I knew he'd be careful.

Dropped her off at CGW and headed to Job Lot where I needed more items for the job in the morning. Again, parking so far away from the store in the lot, I needed a bus to get to the store. And spent most of my time in the store worrying about the car...

Then finally to the Christmas Tree Shop for another item for this job. Again, parked in another zip code in the lot and anxiety the whole time I was in the store.

I had 1 more stop to make - and took The Ark home. I couldn't stand the anxiety any more, it wasn't "fun" having the car out now. So home and back into his lair, fan on, locked up, battery plugged in, took the Acadia back into downtown Hyannis for the last mission.

Had a nice Facebook chat with Mark Demyan about this phenomena earlier, I have to find my comfort limits. And I exceeded them today. The only time this car will be in a parking lot is because there's a car show there. My heart couldn't take it.

Gave The Ark a good look over when I got home, distressed to see so much road schmutz on it. Then again I "have" been driving it, its a cruiser after all. 2 hours of Showtime, a clay bar and a clean bath towel and he was picture perfect again.

Comfort level exceeded, lesson learned. I was lucky nothing happened to it parked near the common masses. Never again. Only driving for mntx, to shows or to friends homes/areas I *KNOW* the car will be safe.

\m/
Laurie
There are 2 kinds of cars in the world, Cadillac and everything else....

The Present -1970 Fleetwood Brougham

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1987 Sedan De Ville "Commonwealth Edition"
1981 Coupe De Ville (8-6-4)
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Daily Driver and work slave -
2008 GMC Acadia SLT *options/all

The Tassie Devil(le)

Relax, relax and relax.

The funny thing about taking old cars out is that everybody actually appreciates an older car, and will take car not to hurt it.

Enjoy life, and driving the Ark.  This way, everyone around you will also enjoy the Ark.

Bruce. >:D

PS.   If you are really going to worry yourself sick, get a driver, and leave the Ark parked high and dry, so that only you can look at it.
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

cadillacmike68

Laurie,

Our newer cars are FAR more vulnerable to getting dinged up in parking lots. The Reynolds wrap sheet metal and painted bumpers are just waiting for a shopping cart or door edge.

I try to park the Sky Cruiser away, but if anything other than a truck / suv or other roadrunning abomination parks next to it, they will be the ones who need to worry.  Then again there's the redneck in an oversize pickup who will park next to it anyway...

Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

People are funny -- or jealous sometimes of someone
having a nice old car.

True story.  When I first bought my '55 Eldorado in
1981 my wife Karen and I were living in Charlotte,
NC. The car was located in Chicago, 850 miles.  We
flew to Chicago to pick the car up and drive it back.

We decided to break the trip up and stay somewhere
half way.  We found a Holiday Inn and I parked the car
right in front of the entrance.

Went to register for a room and gave the desk guy a
$20 and asked if I could leave the car there and would
he "keep an eye on it".  He said don't worry, I'm on all
night.

Went out the next morning and saw to my dismay that
somebody had keyed the hood from the front goddess
to the wipers down one side.  Fortunately, it was not
in concourse condition and needed body work and a
complete paint job.  However, this could also happen to
your "restored" vehicle as well.

Moral:  If you care about your classic never leave it
out of your sight for even a moment.  There are a
few idiots out there who do not respect nor care about
your car.  Al they need is a few minutes to do several
thousand Dollars damage.

Mike

1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

76eldo

My wife bought herself a new 2017 CT5 Cadillac when they first came out and someone keyed the right front fender.  We don't know where exactly this happened or by whom.

If I have one of my classic Caddy's out and park at a restaurant I never take up 2 spaces but I do try to park away from others.  You have to hope for the best I guess.

My 76 Eldo convertible is a 10 footer, a nice driver.  I enjoy that car the most because if I ever do get a door ding or a scratch it's not the end of the world.

I am going to do an article and submit it to the self starter about the 15,000 mile one owner 70 that I bought last year.  The original owner was so paranoid about parking this car anywhere his wife made him buy an everyday car and leave the Eldo in the garage and only drive it for special occasions, hence the low mileage 48 years later.

I get more enjoyment out of my cars out on the road than in the garage so I guess we just have to take our chances.

Brian

Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

metalblessing

I park my hearse in parking lots all the time, never had an issue yet, but I do try to park away from other cars, just because it can be a challenge to park sometimes. Then again mine isnt really show quality yet
1968 Cadillac Miller-Meteor Hearse/Ambulance Combination

Lexi

Yes, the anxiety factor. One of our cruise nights we had a tradition of having a late dinner at a nearby restaurant (walking distance) following the show...with you guessed it, all our cars remaining on the show lot, out of sight. At that time it is dark and the only cars parked there are our classics. Drove me nuts. We changed venues to one where we could all drive and park our cars where we could keep an eye on our classics. And yes, there are people out there who are jealous of those who drive a classic and even a new car. My dad noted this years ago, where some of these idiots will purposely damage your vehicle, (such as in the keying episode noted by Mike). It is like their way of saying "I can't drive anything this nice so enjoy the 'equalizer' (a long scratch by keying your car), and join the club".

Often when I must park my Caddy on a lot with common cars, I also park far away from the pack in a deserted part of the lot. Invariably someone often winds up parking next to me probably just to ogle the car. You are also not immune to having an incident at a car show either. There are a few who just don't care. Had my door lightly "dinged" at a cruise night when the woman parked next to me, carelessly flung her door open after parking. I try to park next to sedans (as they have shorter doors). Then there are always the curious spectators with buttons and zippers that have an affinity for your car.

Myself and other '50's Caddy owners have also noted how occasionally at some shows there are those who like to show off by demonstrating they know where the gas filler cap is, (under the tail light which pops up to reveal it). Aside from the impropriety of touching someone else's car there is always the risk that this particular unit will break if slammed shut (seen that happen as well). Mine is not working properly (trouble unlocking it), and I have purposely left it that way to safeguard it from additional damage by the curious at car shows. Still, when I get back from a walk around the show, I sometimes see my tail light ajar, because someone tried to open it. Have not heard the "Reynolds wrap" comment for years and love the "Home Cheapo" name! Clay/Lexi \m/

cadillacmike68

Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

INTMD8

I can certainly relate to this feeling with some cars I have.

This is exactly why I have no plans to restore my 59. If it gets another door ding I won't even notice. 

Still, someone asked yesterday if I had restored it  :o

kevinanderson

Aside and not as bad as a key scratch. There are idiots that like to spit in the interior of my electra when I park it with the top down.
Kevin

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

You know, here in San Antonio the atmosphere is very different. I have had what appears to be the most down and out street person give me a thumbs up when we drive past n one of ore cars. It is true that at (nearly) all "parking lot" events there are a couple of off duty SAPD officers in uniform, and it is a fact that most everyone caries a gun, but people are very polite and considerate of our cars and appreciate the effort that goes into them.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

gatech1956

Hi Laurie.

When I drive any car I am always with the attitude "stuff happens" which is why my car will probably never be brought to concourse levels. When you're out driving rock chips and debris flying around are things are out of your control.

Anyway, with your situation I will say I have never been in such an anxious state such as you described. I usually take the care out to run errands with out any worry, but an incident (or I guess lack there of) made me more cautious about where I park. I went to the gym and I found some pictures of my car appearing on Facebook with a man posing by in the parking lot while I was at the gym which is fine people can take all the pictures they want. But as I was scrolling a picture from another facebook user caught that same man feeling around under the hood for the latch, which really rubbed me the wrong way. Also, I agree with Lexi that etiquette some times is even lacking at car shows. Was once having a conversation with someone behind my care, then I see a kid tugging like no tomorrow on my locked passenger door with the parent literally right next to the kid. 

So events like these makes you wonder what happens when you are around or not around. You just hope you got out one day and every one out with you decides to be a decent person that day.

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Today happens to be my birthday. I say this because on this day a few years ago I came to the realization that I will never be rich and I will never be able to have something just for the sake of having and not using. 
Nothing I have is pristine (I can't afford it) and everything I have is insured. I won't take them out when I know the weather will be bad or to a place with bad parking, etc. But I have to enjoy it. I look back at how picky I was when I got the 70 5 years ago. I was so fussy my family couldn't enjoy it. Shame on me. There are other 70's out there every day on Craigslist, and mine is insured.
Everyone is different but it doesn't sound like you are able to enjoy your car and that is troubling.
Laurie--Drive the car. Be smart about it, but drive it.
Just my opinion.
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

Scot Minesinger

Laurie,

Yes relax.  I have driven my 1970 Cadillac over 40k miles in the last dozen years, including multiple trips accross the GW bride outside NY City, Cross Bronks Expressway, DC Beltway, Baltimore Beltway, Boston 495 beltway, back roads of upstate NY, half a dozen GN's and etc. ...and... not one door ding.

If you park out in the middle of now where like I do for those big box stores, if anyone parks next to you it is usually a car person and they will be careful.  The non-car people who are oblivious, usually park close in. 

Then as other posted a new car has thinner more easily damaged sheet metal than your 1970 Cadillac.

Drive and enjoy your Cadillac!  As you do concerns will be less.  The only worry I have is that sometimes those summer afternoon thunderstorms come quick and need to be sure that my top is up. 

Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

z3skybolt

Not Classic cars but same subject,

Back in 2002 I took my open cockpit biplane to the big air show at OshKosh.  It was parked on the show line overnight while I camped about 1/2 mile away. There was a big sign on the prop saying...LOOK BUT DON'T TOUCH....the cockpit had a nice canvas cover strapped over it and the rear cockpit had a closed canopy, which could not be locked..  Attendees at OshKosh are very considerate of one another and our aircraft....so I had no qualms leaving it there alone with thousands of other planes.

Early the next morning I went by to prepare the aircraft for display.  To my dismay...a man had ignored the sign on the prop: removed the cockpit cover, slid the rear seat canopy open,climbed upon the bottom wing and was sitting in my airplane playing with the controls!!

"I just wanted to see what it was like" he said.

Bob
1940 LaSalle 5227 Coupe(purchased May 2016)
1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series. Bought New.

35-709

WOW!  That takes a big set.  I would have told someone in charge and had his axx thrown OUT.  They take a dim view of that at Air Venture and Sun'n Fun and I would imagine any other show.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Lexi

Like Skybolt Bob, I had a similar thing happen to my Caddy. One day I drove to & entered the local coffee shop for a brew. That done, I got back in my car to leave when suddenly a complete stranger opened my front passenger door and jumped in. This fellow was old enough to know better, perhaps in his mid to late 40s. He looked extremely well groomed and seemed like the guy next door type. He was also very chatty and began talking about the car, making himself right at home! My law enforcement background/persona kicked in to which I told him to get the "F" out in no uncertain terms. He made a hasty retreat without an additional word said. He was either afflicted with poor judgement or he was some sort of con man (or both).

Another day at this same location I discovered 2 young females having a photo shoot with my car. One of them had draped herself over my fender and hood in a "come hither" pose, while the other was photographing her. The one doing the 'modelling' was wearing designer jeans, replete with ornamental studs all over, including a "tramp stamp" like studded pattern on the rear jean pockets. My immediate thought was what may have happened to my car's finish? I gave them s__t and a short lecture about how much a paint job would cost on a Series 75 as well as not to touch other people's property. I did thank them for their interest in my car, though they both seemed embarrassed at having been caught as well as having to be told that which is basically common sense. Some people's kids... Clay/Lexi

Note: Happy birthday Jeff!

metalblessing

Quote from: lexi on July 16, 2018, 10:25:28 AM
Aside from the impropriety of touching someone else's car there is always the risk that this particular unit will break if slammed shut (seen that happen as well)
I know what you mean. The last car show I went to I left the rear door of my 68 Cadillac hearse open and when people stopped to look at it with kids I would tell them if they wanted their kid could sit on the edge of the back and take a picture. This normally goes fine but there was one group with a few teenagers, I told them the younger one could sit down on the back and get a picture if he wanted, they interpreted that to "hey you can ALL cram in the back of the hearse and take your backs of potato chips with you. they all crammed in the grace of a pack of gorillas, thankfully I spotted the chips and at least told them "lets not take food and drink in the there" and they listened, but the whole time I was cringing thinking "hurry up and get your pic and get out". They were not exactly being careful.

Some people are clueless and some simply dont care.

My 4 year old son had his Roll-Play Silverado (like a power wheels but nicer) in the show right next to my hearse and so many adults just let their kid sit in it. One lady tried to let her daughter drive off with it. Its unbelievable how ignorant some car show patrons can be.
1968 Cadillac Miller-Meteor Hearse/Ambulance Combination

gatech1956

Quote from: lexi on July 16, 2018, 02:52:36 PM
Like Skybolt Bob, I had a similar thing happen to my Caddy. One day I drove to & entered the local coffee shop for a brew. That done, I got back in my car to leave when suddenly a complete stranger opened my front passenger door and jumped in. This fellow was old enough to know better, perhaps in his mid to late 40s. He looked extremely well groomed and seemed like the guy next door type. He was also very chatty and began talking about the car, making himself right at home! My law enforcement background/persona kicked in to which I told him to get the "F" out in no uncertain terms. He made a hasty retreat without an additional word said. He was either afflicted with poor judgement or he was some sort of con man (or both).

I can't believe this is a real story

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Something tells me these stories are not helping her anxiety.
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille