News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Forbes Magazine on Cadillac

Started by D.Yaros, July 16, 2018, 01:53:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D.Yaros

Forbes 15 New Cars To Avoid
Jim Gorzelany Jim Gorzelany Contributor BUSINESS

#2. Cadillac XTS

Tell the truth we find the big and benign full-size front-drive XTS sedan to be something of a guilty pleasure. Unfortunately, a boulevard cruiser like this falls short in today’s ultra-sophisticated luxury-car market. Consumer Reports cites the XTS as being among the industry’s worst values, and we think the Chevrolet Impala offers equivalent accommodations for less money. The biggest Caddy also gets low marks for initial quality and performance from J.D. Power and a below-average resale value rating from ALG.

https://www3.forbes.com/business/15-new-cars-to-avoid/3/
Dave Yaros
CLC #25195
55 Coupe de Ville
92 Allante
62 Olds  

You will find me on the web @:
http://GDYNets.atwebpages.com  -Dave's Den
http://graylady.atwebpages.com -'55 CDV site
http://www.freewebs.com/jeandaveyaros  -Saved 62 (Oldsmobile) Web Site
The home of Car Collector Chronicles.  A  monthly GDYNets newsletter focusing on classic car collecting.
http://www.scribd.com/D_Yaros/

D.Smith

Non luxury car people will never see a Cadillac as a value.  Of course the Impala is a value.  Any comfortable car that you can load up with features for less money is a value.   A Caprice, Regency, Bonneville, etc were always "values" over a higher priced Cadillac.    That is no reason to tell people not to buy it.

Now the XTS did have a ton of electronic glitches when it came out and I'm sure that hurt its JD Powers survey results from new car buyers.   Plus the typical buyer (old farts) did not like the CUE infotainment system.  Too high tech for them.

But worst?   Far from it.     The SRX may have sold better but they were in the service dept far more often!

T J Lankes

While the XTS and Impala share the same platform and drive train, there are some features unavailable on the Impala such as Magnetic Ride Control and the more luxurious interior of the XTS, etc.  This has always been GM's brand structure.  So shoppers have choice.  Luxury costs more and the value depends on what that's worth to the buyer.

Both models are long in the tooth compared to the Buick Lacrosse which although using the same platform, was improved for the 2017 MY with a longer wheelbase, body redesign and GM's newer optional V6 (LGA) which includes cylinder deactivation and stop/start features. Buick also used an Aisin 8 speed auto trans and then for 2018 MY moved to the new GM 9 speed (9T65) which was engineered to perform with the stop/start feature and improve MPG rating.

There are rumors that 2020 may be the final year for the XTS.

Forbes also refers to the XTS as the "biggest Caddy" which is incorrect as we know, that is the CT6.

To each his own.

D.Smith

The XTS was never meant to be their Flagship.  It was to fill the gap left after the DTS and until the un-named CT6 came out.   I'm kind of surprised they are still offering it.   Although the slight restyle just done to it is pleasant looking.

The Tassie Devil(le)

Boy, I looked at the rest of the cars to avoid, and there is not one of any of them that I would recommend to even my worst enemy.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

64\/54Cadillacking

As a owner of a 17 Impala, and loving every minute of it, I don’t understand why the XTS is criticized so much by the media. Sure it’s not a true, nor unique Cadillac, but the platform it shares (Epilson 2) is a very good platform which does a really good job at giving these cars a smooth ride. Not traditionally isolated  Cadillac soft, but the ride quality and NVH is really really good for being a FWD car.

And yes Cadillac offers Magnetic ride control which I hear rides a lot better than standard and shocks and struts.

I think the problem with many luxury vehicle brands today is you could pretty much get just as nice of car out of Chevy and a Ford sedan than in any time in history.

I mean the Impala feels very premium and high end considering it’s only a Chevy.

Not like back in the 90’s where buying a Chevy, meant buying a penalty box and most peers around you probably wouldn’t respect it.

It’s tough to justify purchasing a Cadillac unless it’s absolutely unique and special. It has to have its own architecture and specific drivetrain to make it worthy of the name, or else the general public will continually compare the brand with lesser GM models like they have since the 80’s, although I will agree that the XTS platinum edition interior is pretty amazing.

GM has really improved their interiors of all their cars since about 2014. Now they are on par with pretty much the entire industry, if not better than some.
Currently Rides:
1964 Sedan Deville
1954 Cadillac Fleetwood 60 Special
1979 Lincoln Mark V Cartier Designer Series
2007 Lexus LS 460L (extended wheelbase edition)

Previous Rides:
1987 Brougham D' Elegance
1994 Fleetwood Bro
1972 Sedan Deville
1968 Coupe Deville
1961 Lincoln Continental
1993 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
1978 Lincoln Continental ( R.I.P.) 1978-2024 😞

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

I'm sure at almost any point in Cadillac's history, there were always those who made similar observations between Cadillac vs lesser GM makes.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Big Apple Caddy

The XTS is actually Cadillac's bestselling CAR right now (ahead of ATS, CTS and CT6) but that's not saying much with sedan sales in the dumper.  The XT5 crossover currently outsells the ATS, CTS, CT6 and XTS combined by more than 20%.

The Impala, which has gotten high praise from CR (not that it means much), are falling off a cliff too.  Sales were down 17% in 2015, another 17% in 2016, 22% last year and are down 12% so far this year.

It's just not a sedan, particularly larger sedan, world these days and not just for GM or Cadillac.  If this was 20 or 30+ years ago, even just 10 years ago, cars like the Impala, XTS and CT6 would be doing much, much better.  The problem, or situation, is far more about the overall sedan market than the cars themselves.

64\/54Cadillacking

I don’t understand it. I still see many people out here in CA driving brand new Camry’s and Civics, Ford Fusions, and a lot of Kias and Hyundai’s nowadays.

But ZERO Impalas and XTS’s.

You get way more for your money, including a powerful, very smooth and fuel efficient V6 and they’re extremely comparable to many of the midsize sedans on the market in terms of tech and features.

They’re honestly not that much bigger than most midsizers on the road, and IMO, the Impala has some presence on the road, while the majority of all midsizers don’t.

Sure styling matters, but out here in SoCal where its land of the imports for the most part, there’s still that stereotype of American cars being unreliable and unsophisticated. I find American and German cars to be more solid feeling and driving over Japanese/Korean vehicles. You feel the weight in them and there not as tin can feeling either.

Anyhoo, I wish more buyers considered GM’s bigger sedans because they’re probably the best bang for your buck, and will be more reliable than a Malibu or any Cruze 10 years from now.
Currently Rides:
1964 Sedan Deville
1954 Cadillac Fleetwood 60 Special
1979 Lincoln Mark V Cartier Designer Series
2007 Lexus LS 460L (extended wheelbase edition)

Previous Rides:
1987 Brougham D' Elegance
1994 Fleetwood Bro
1972 Sedan Deville
1968 Coupe Deville
1961 Lincoln Continental
1993 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
1978 Lincoln Continental ( R.I.P.) 1978-2024 😞

cadillacmike68

Problem with all (or most) 2014+Cadillacs is that they all have CUE

Cadillac
User
Exasperation
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Scot Minesinger

A friend came to visit me recently driving a CT6 and when it pulled in my driveway, my instant gut reaction was Wow!  That is what we are looking for.  Not the practicality and etc. such magazines as Forbes, CS and etc. report on.  If I needed a large sedan and had the money to burn, a CT6 would be high on the list of considerations.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

jdemerson

Quote from: Scot Minesinger on July 18, 2018, 09:58:49 AM
A friend came to visit me recently driving a CT6 and when it pulled in my driveway, my instant gut reaction was Wow!  That is what we are looking for.  Not the practicality and etc. such magazines as Forbes, CS and etc. report on.  If I needed a large sedan and had the money to burn, a CT6 would be high on the list of considerations.

Scot, I very much agree. And for the Cadillac V8 fans, there's a 2019 model CT6 V-Sport with a V8 with twin turbos. It seems to me that it may not be far off from an S-Class and at a considerably lower price. You can't get Super Cruise on that model though. But the CUE system (which was very hard to use) has been much improved.

John Emerson
1952 Cadillac Sedan 6219X
John Emerson
Middlebury, Vermont
CLC member #26790
1952 Series 6219X
http://bit.ly/21AGnvn